reader

Up and coming destinations in Vietnam

From Bangkok Post (14 Mar.)

A new direct flight from Bangkok makes Nha Trang and the lesser developed Cam Ranh accessible for Thais. 

Unlike Hanoi, Sapa, Danang, Hue, Hoi An, Dalat, Mui Ne and Ho Chi Minh City, Nha Trang (pronounced ya jang) is not a familiar name for Thai travellers. But with a direct air link between Bangkok and this Vietnamese city, recently introduced by Bangkok Airways and soon to be followed suit by another airline, that is about to change. 

Continues with photos

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/1644168/vietnams-up-and-coming-destinations

12 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

I enjoyed my visit to Dalat even though it was much noisier and bustling than I expected it to be. Much cooler up there in the mountains. Pretty flowers all over. One awesome waterfall complex.

+1. Great place to rent a motorbike and go out into the countryside.

44 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

there were a handful of guys on the apps. I don't know if that qualifies.

Not a good sign, as outside of Pattaya, the percentage of cute lads interested in mature farang tends to be low.  

Wouldn't stop me visiting, but I would try to indulge as much as possible before going there......

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, z909 said:

Were there any boys to be had in Dalat ?

I was in Dalat earlier this month. A charming destination for a few days - somewhat cooler than the soaring heat in Nha Trang and HCMC, what a relief!

There are plenty of fine very good value hotels there. The several Tulip chain hotels seem like a good deal. The Iris hotel is more expensive but also a more posh (the entrance/lobby - the rooms are quite basic though). I used Agoda exclusively to book hotels there. In general the price level is lower in than HCMC, Hanoi etc. I had a perfect hair cut for 60,000 Dong!

As for boys, the apps (Grindr, Blued and Hornet) were quite busy. Plenty of interest from what appeared to be next-door VN boys but I can imagine that if you are a mature "daddy" with a body everything else than fit there may be less takers in Dalat compared to what you are used to in Thailand (this applies in Vietnam in general) Some guys have limited English skills though and may be too shy to connect with a foreigner. Some massage/MB guys online - very reasonable rates offered once you interact with the boys. Maybe it goes without saying but often their initial quotes are very much negotiable. In HCMC expect to pay around 1,000,000 Dong for hot gym fit/muscle guys - in Dalat around half to 2/3 of that (admittedly, I didn't take any offers in Dalat). If you are offered rates very much lower than this there is a high risk that the boy will turn out to be much less fit or attractive than seen from his profile pic and the hot pics he sent to you when chatting online, so watch out! 

Nha Trang: Nice city with great beaches and night life (I didn't find any gay bars though) but everything geared towards Russian and Chinese tourists - they are everywhere and most signs etc are in Russian! I was approached several times in Russian language (by other tourists or street vendors) because apparently the assumption is that all foreigners (western) speak Russian. I doubt I will return to Nha Trang and fail to see that Thai tourists will find Nha Trang attractive as a tourist destination even with direct flights - it's marketed towards completely different tourist types (Chinese and Russian).

I didn't look for any M2M massage venues so can't comment on that.