Guest guest_BenG1000

Food

Guest guest_BenG1000

Hey all,

So what is the food like in Bangkok?

Is it safe to eat salad, what about ice cubes and ice cream, smoothies, etc.?

I frequently go to Bali and it's a big nono for all of the above, even in the better restaurants and bars. Of course I would only brush my teeth with bottled water, firmly keep my mouth shut under the shower, etc ... but; would be nice to know I can have ice in my drinks and enjoy a salad.

Thanks!

I don't know about the others but in Thailand in 17 trips I always brushed my remaining  31 teeth with tap water, gargle freely under the shower and ice cream from 7/11 is my staple snack.

I eat salads although not in the street stalls

Smoothies are not  my things and and don't put ice in my drinks ever since refrigerators were invented a while ago but wouldn't be afraid if need arises in social occasion.

So to answer  your question food is safe and very tasty , easily digestible as well.

Occasional stomach problem may arise but in my experience no more often that in home country.

I would  not jump on street food in first 2-3 days , let you body to get used to local bugs and then immerse yourself in local culinary delicacies along with fleshy ones- those you can taste as soon as you land in the bar or massage, no waiting period necessary. Use regular precautions though

Popular snack in Thailand are trays of cut and peeled fresh fruits, never problems with those ever and I run through at least 2-3 every day

I don't know if it is a scientific fact, but I hold the belief that Thai personal hygiene transfers to food preparation. I regularly eat street food, which is  straight off the grill, or out the saucepan. Less chance for bugs to set in.

I don't drink the tap water, but then again no-one does.

Its much more dangerous to eat hotel buffet food that has been sitting out for an hour or two.

Throw yourself into the fantastic food culture and enjoy! If you get an upset stomach, then take an Imodium. Don't freak out at the huge rats (หนู) (Noo) that scavenge the rubbish bags at night before the garbage guys come through.

Guest guest_BenG1000

Spending only 10 nights in paradise, effectively only 8 really  ... last thing I want is bugs to limit my pleasure hahaa; vodka to kill them all I guess

1 hour ago, BenG1000 said:

... but; would be nice to know I can have ice in my drinks and enjoy a salad.

Thanks!

I’d be interested to know where in Bangkok one might find an ‘enjoyable’ Western style salad. Most places fail to grasp the concept, even high end hotels and restaurants which are otherwise perfectly hygienic. 

Why not enjoy a plate of somtam or delicious stir fried morning glory, followed by some mango sticky rice for your daily fibre?

2 hours ago, joshhb said:

If you think about the climate to grow a "western salad"  it need to be a temperate region. That's not Thailand.

Go local - you won't regret it!

From my experience I have found everything and more in Thailand as compared to back home in respect to salad ingredients. Possibly some of that is  imported but it is available.

BenG1000, there are several countries such as India and Egypt where I follow your Bali routine of no raw food, no fish, no unpeeled fruit, only bottled sparkling mineral water (as it is more difficult for a faker to re-use a bottle and replicate sparkling water) etc.

Thailand is not on the list. In fact it is the only country in which I will eat street food. Yes, this is pretty conservative, but I don't have time to be sick.

I do not drink the tap water, but I have been known to forget and brush my teeth with it and I am also not all that worried about getting water in my mouth when I shower. So far no ill effects. 

Ice I am ok with in a cocktail at a high end bar - no ill effects so far. Otherwise - eg ice in a smoothie in a market or on the street - no. Whether I need to be this careful in Bangkok I am not sure, it may just be habitual when traveling. 

I have only been sick from food once in Thailand, from a fish lunch in Pattaya, and even that was pretty mild on the stomach upset scale.

Bangkok has a huge range of food options, from street food to Michelin Starred restaurants, and covering a wide range of cuisines.

I recommend you explore the various options for Thai food.

Beside avoiding things, I take two precautions when traveling. The first few days I always eat a local natural yoghurt with breakfast. I was told years ago that this helps to get 'good' local bugs into your stomach and helps it to adjust to local food. I rarely have stomach problems when traveling, so maybe this works. I also carry Pepto Bismol tablets just in case. 

Guest guest_BenG1000

Thanks everyone, I definitely want to avoid 'Bali Belly' as experienced 6 months ago. The first time in many many visits, I let my guard down at a nice restaurant and ate a side salad. Few hours later, projectile vomiting and the floodgates of hell opened.

Room service found me on the floor of my villa bathroom and was put on a drip. 4 days of my holiday down the tube, literally!

Good to hear Thailand is not that dangerous, I always enjoy ice in my drinks!

On the one hand, I have had ice in my drinks at Maxi’s with no ill effects. On the other hand, twice, a salad from a salad bar undid me. Note the salad bar.  Other salads have had no ill effects. Hope you know BenG1000 that this forum is hoping you have the most fantastical visit 

I just got back from another visit to Bali.  No problems.  I brush my teeth, shower, have ice in drinks, always eat the green (same as BKK and pretty much everywhere).  No worries.  But I do think this is an area where different people have very different tolerances, and I have the gullet of turkey vulture (apparently).

Of course if there is even a slight chance you are susceptible to these sorts of problems, then by all means avoid the anxiety and play it safe. But for regular folks I think it's ok to brush your teeth and shower without worrying too much.  Most (but not all) bars and restaurants now get their ice delivered and it's perfectly safe.  

If you want to eat some authentic Isaan food, I'll make my usual pitch for Somtum Der on Saladaeng.  All very hygenic, but not blandized like some restaurants that cater to tourists.  The only issue vis a vis your digestion will be how hot and spicy you can take your food.  :diablo:  Street food is definitely cheaper than here, but you get a/c and don't have to worry about the other stuff. 

There are also lots of good choices to be had at the food courts in the malls, and as far as I know should be safe to eat -- as long as you follow the usual rules of going to places that are popular and have good turnover of the food.

Gourmet Market in Siam Paragon has a very nice salad bar.

Regarding ice, I have serious doubts about using that.  I have seen ice being made at commercial shop and I doubt that the water was anything other than tap water. Perhaps some bars and restaurants use purified water to make their ice??  But, yes,  do use the ice at bars.

1 hour ago, witty said:

Taking ice in any restaurant or bar can be risky unless the source is a hygienic factory.

Never had an issue with ice in any Silom bar/gogo/Soi 4 or Twilight outlet, not even that horrible little bar at De Arni hotel. But I would draw the line at the Thaniya food stalls...at those I stick to beer.