Hotel Reviews Bangkok

Prices are approximate, due to variation in charges

Baan Silom Soi 3   (1250  ~1500 baht)

Remains my preferred hotel, with spacious clean & comfortable rooms at a very reasonable price if booked some time in advance.      Good size room safe & guests OK.

I stayed there for the first 4 nights of my holiday again.   However, as my long holiday also included several 1 night stays in Bangkok, I tried some other hotels, so that I have some "backup" hotel options.  In some cases, I was booking at short notice & choice was restricted.

The Nantra Silom    (Approx 1100 baht)

Overall, this is a terrible option.   Despite great location, nice sized rooms and white décorl.    It is not cleaned properly, has grubby sheets, grubby showers and the plumbing is in need of some serious maintenance.    The shower valve needed special technique to switch it on and off.   The toilet run continuously unless switched off at the wall.    I shall not stay here again whilst under current management.  Fixing all of the above issues should add no more than about 50 baht to the room rate.

Adequate room safe & guests OK.    But AVOID it.

V-Place Silom  (1000~1400 baht)

This is located close to Sala Daeng BTS, upstairs from the KFC.   A short walk to the public transport for a 1 night stay.    Large room, but windowless, which I generally avoid,but of course it means you have no noticeable road noise.  However, door to the room is flimsy and doesn’t attenuate noise from the corridor, so I was woken by other guests returning at 3:00 am.   Also, the aircon temp is fixed at something near 20C, which is too damn cold when I have been getting used to 26C.    Adequate room safe & guests OK.

D Varee Express Pula Silom  (approx. 1250 baht)

Also close to the BTS, located on the same soi as   G Bangkok gay night club.  My room had no noise from the club or the road, but was on the 5th floor, which must help.    The room was compact, but quite sufficient for my needs.  Nice fresh modern décor & comfortable bed.   There was a long desk, with a moulded chair which was actually comfortable enough to sit in.   This did not have opening windows, but some of those glass bricks.  The only apparent method of ventilation appeared to be the extractor fan in the bathroom, but my room was certainly fresh upon arrival.   Aircon OK & controllable.   Adequate  room safe.    I didn’t test the guest policy as I went for a naughty massage instead.  However,  the place was clearly popular with other gay couples & I would be very surprised if guests were a problem.       I like this hotel.

Unfortunately, it can take quite some time to find out which places have room safes and so on, with booking sites.   Therefore,   I'm thinking we could collaborate and compile hotel options in a table, something like the following example, which contains the information I first need to look at.    Any thoughts on format ?   Any volunteers to add something ?    I suppose I need to figure out where to put a shared excel file.

Note distances are by google maps, walking.  I have only stayed in the first 4 hotels on the table.

Hotel reviews.JPG

Good work. Subject doesn't apply to me, as I have a room in Bangkok and elsewhere stay in hotels prices 300-700 THB per night.

I take similar notes for hotels in the provinces. In some places, I find a good hotel at first try, others I have to shop around and take a different hotel every time I stay in that town.

Safe is not important to me. My pet peeve is lack of space to put stuff on in bathroom. I prefer bathroom sink in a tiled table. In some hotels, there is nowhere to put my stuff. The sink itself is curved and will be wet. Tray under mirror often curved. Lid of water reservoir for toilet curved, and if something slides it might end in the toilet!

Joiner fee is a scam they run in touristy places. In the provinces, I even brought two boys to stay overnight in a double bed room without problems.

7 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

My pet peeve is lack of space to put stuff on in bathroom. I prefer bathroom sink in a tiled table. In some hotels, there is nowhere to put my stuff.

Thank you, I couldn't agree more!! This annoys me very often, too, and even more annoyingly this also happens in luxury hotels. I seriously do't get it why they design bathrooms with nowhere to put stuff. Another bathroom related thing is that very often they don't have anywhere to even put/hand the towels. Isn't that one of THE most basic features of any bathroom? 

Having a dedicated hotel thread, I'd like to throw in some new (to me) discoveries:

1. also in Silom Soi 3, essentially next door to Baan Silom, is a new very nice looking boutique hotel called Kessara. It is in a wooden house that looks more like a large family home than a hotel. Seems to be on the slightly pricier side in the 3k range, but probably well worth it.

2. with famous hotel-hopper @vinapu in mind the brand new T2 Residence Sathorn in Suan Phlu Soi 6 might be an option to consider for some not minding the distance to Silom/Surawong/BTS. Rooms are smallish, but adequate, modern and being new of course spotless. Cheap in the 1k range. A friend stayed there recently, so I had a chance to see the rooms personally (rather than just internet pics). They even have a tiny swimming pool!! And special feature: it is basically directly opposite Prince massage ;) 

3. I think I had a third one I wanted to post here, but forgot.... if it comes back to me I'll add it

Good timing with the bump on this post!

I am desperately looking for somewhere to stay in BKK on 11-14 April and all of the usual haunts are either sold out or on my blacklist

D Varee Express Pula Silom   is one of the few places that is showing availability (even though its an ever increasing €79+€93+€111 rip off for each subsequent night)

Has anyone else stayed there and have any comments (incidentally I can get the Novotel Fenix or Holiday Inn cheaper than above - if anyone has comments on those as alternates)

The rooms that I have seen in Red Planet look pretty small to me

To Add to readers list:

Glitz- no lift, very very low bed which curves downwards and is difficult to get in ad out of. Has safe. No soap or shampoo in the bathroom dispensers. Didn't bring a joiner, but night reception didn't seem like they would care. Great AC. A bit noisy from road

Rose - Small rooms, awful AC, joiners ok. No noise.I would never stay again

Raya - jewel in the crown of the area, if only they had availability on all my dates!

Tarntawan - everyone knows here, but should comment that the AC is brutal. It has 2 modes, OFF or ON ad nothing in between. I would never stay again

D Varee Bally Diva - great location next to DJ. Pig ignorant staff. Windows that don't close and allow in mosquitoes. mediocre air. Death trap lift. I would never stay again

Been a few years since I stayed there but just a wonderful Hotel on the River which gives you so much to do during daytime hours. Not only that next to the Skytrain, However late at night you may have to get taxis to get home. Don't think anyone will bother you with presentable guests but I always advise to book the room for 2 people . Makes it more unlikely that they will bother you.

Recent reviews say the rooms are getting a little dated . Aren't we all? The staff, location, restaurants, pretty sure you'll love it.

If you're looking for a great place to stay during Songkran, I highly recommend Courtyard by Marriott, one SkyTrain stop from Saladaeng but also an easy walk from the waterwars of Silom. Joiners are no problem. Just get on one of the elevators. Also, it will have a very large gay clientele during the Songkran holidays due to the SK Party, which I would also highly recommend if not for the exhorbitant prices. One SK benefit: If you book a room through this site — https://www.gcircuit.com/hosthotel-urban.php — you get a bit of a discount. (They have never asked if I actually have tickets to the SK events, so don't worry about that.) I stayed there last year during Songkran. It was a gay paradise. I had to splurge a little, but it was well worth it.

14 hours ago, anddy said:

2. with famous hotel-hopper @vinapu in mind the brand new T2 Residence Sathorn in Suan Phlu Soi 6 might be an option to consider for some not minding the distance to Silom/Surawong/BTS. Rooms are smallish, but adequate, modern and being new of course spotless. Cheap in the 1k range. A friend stayed there recently, so I had a chance to see the rooms personally (rather than just internet pics). They even have a tiny swimming pool!! And special feature: it is basically directly opposite Prince massage ;) 

noted and may try it at next opportunity although Prince is not my #1 choice in BKK , it's still very acceptable.

Now when soi Twilight disappears, it will be less relevant to be close there.

It needs to be noted that best positioned hotel for boy bars is Pavillion Place which is just upstairs from both Screwboys and Fresh Boys 2

Pavilion Place is adjacent to Screwboys - that’s it highest recommendation. It will be convenient to the new Dream Boys. It’s best for short stays. 

When Twilight disappears The Raya will be in the middle of a construction site.  Looks like I’ll be looking for a nest for my late May visit. I was at  Bandara Suites in November and liked it but it was distant from  Twilight though near to Prince.  I anticipate more reviews of accommodations as part of the relocation process 

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

Now when soi Twilight disappears, it will be less relevant to be close there.

if Patpong becomes the new Twilight then it's essentially the same location though!

3 hours ago, ggobkk said:

I was at  Bandara Suites in November and liked it but it was distant from  Twilight though near to Prince.

actually not true, walking distance from Bandara to both is 1.0 km according to google maps, so it's smack in the middle ;) 

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

It needs to be noted that best positioned hotel for boy bars is Pavillion Place which is just upstairs from both Screwboys and Fresh Boys 2

Now no more excuses that the boy needs to walk far, or the customers too shy to be seen taking a moneyboy .

IMG_20190327_151227.jpg

11 hours ago, colmx said:

D Varee Express Pula Silom   is one of the few places that is showing availability (even though its an ever increasing €79+€93+€111 rip off for each subsequent night)

Has anyone else stayed there and have any comments (incidentally I can get the Novotel Fenix or Holiday Inn cheaper than above - if anyone has comments on those as alternates)

I didn't make the opening post clear, but I stayed in all 4 hotels reviewer recently.   Including the D Varee Express Pula Silom at the end of February.  

This was fine, but I wouldn't consider it to be good value  Eur 79 or above.   Possibly time to select the other options.

Must be something pushing up the prices for your stay -could be Easter, or some Asian holiday.

20 minutes ago, z909 said:

Must be something pushing up the prices for your stay -could be Easter, or some Asian holiday.

Colmx is looking for Silom hotel on 11-14 April which is almost the same dates with Songkran weekend (13-15).

Obviouly most of the hotel near Silom are sold out or expensive since  the area is the place of major water battls/festival.

Jasper is correct, and it's also a long holiday weekend in Thailand so Sat 13th is the mega expensive night

Z909, I knew you stayed in the Pula recently, but I was looking for people's contrary opinions, as it gets some pretty scathing reviews on TripAdvisor... And feels to be pretty poor value at €111, even of it is super high season and smack in the middle of the action!

I checked the reviews on Booking.com and Hotels.com before booking the Pula and concluded they were OK.    

However, there is no way I would consider this to be acceptable value at Eur 111.     I would look elsewhere at that price -if I have to pay that much, I would be looking for a hotel which offers more.   

I would also be booking quite swiftly, just in case the list of alternative options falls.  

6 hours ago, Wynter11 said:

Pavilion palace seems to book out a long way in advance. Just checked some dates in July and they’re full then too. 

This has POOR review scores on Booking.com and Hotels.com.   I checked dates in December, then September no availability on either site.

One of the pictures shows a bath next to the bed, not in a separate room.    Possibly quite good fun, but looks like it should belong in a full service massage shop than a nice hotel.

Anyone had any experiences staying in either of these 3?

Silom One:

Seems to be a quite small hotel (10 rooms) but excellent location right at the BTS exit:

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g293916-d6551040-Reviews-Silom_One-Bangkok.html

Evergreen Laurel:

Supposedly 5*, Not as good a location, and looks quite olde worlde. But they have excellent prices around my dates for 70SQM suites

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g293916-d305283-Reviews-Evergreen_Laurel_Hotel-Bangkok.html

Tawana:

Right opposite Tarntawan/Glitz, so has a decent location, but are they guest friendly? I seem to remember hearing that their security were quite militant in the past?

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g293916-d305512-Reviews-The_Tawana_Bangkok-Bangkok.html

16 hours ago, z909 said:

This has POOR review scores on Booking.com and Hotels.com.   I checked dates in December, then September no availability on either site.

One of the pictures shows a bath next to the bed, not in a separate room.    Possibly quite good fun, but looks like it should belong in a full service massage shop than a nice hotel.

Given its location and price that may suit its clientele quite nicely. Probably not somewhere I’d feel comfortable, which is a pity. I was looking for a Raya alternative since the annoying construction noises I heard in the hotel on January are only likely to get worse once Twilight starts to be torn down. 

On 3/27/2019 at 3:25 AM, Wynter11 said:

Pavilion palace seems to book out a long way in advance. Just checked some dates in July and they’re full then too. 

or they still did not release their pool to a site you are using.

Few times with different hotels I booked through one site like expedia whole another one like agoda did not have any rooms on offer or vice versa.

Keep trying