Hotel Reviews Bangkok

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

wouldn't be easier  just to refrain from drinking it  or if used , just to pay for the damn bottle instead ?

Of course! But there are some people out there who seem to think that they are entitled to anything and everything in a hotel room, from the remains of a small bar of soap to towels and bathrobes. I am sure it is not restricted to Thailand.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, PeterRS said:

Do the 5 ml bottles of liquor also have a paper over the cap in Thailand?

I presume you mean the 5 cl bottles. as 5ml is around the same size as a teaspoon!

Then again with some of the weak drinks I have had around Sunee and the Bkk gogo bars I would not be surprised if 5ml was the standard measure in some of those joints!

Another vote for 'The Raya' from me...had 3 nights there just before heading home and thoroughly enjoyed it, nice chilled out place with smart / tidy rooms & friendly staff...my thanks to ColmX for the advice (only took me about 3 years to listen....lol)

On 3/26/2019 at 6:32 PM, anddy said:

3. I think I had a third one I wanted to post here, but forgot.... if it comes back to me I'll add it

Finally, after walking past it a couple of times I remember the third hotel I had in mind when posting about those new options. It is called "Resort M BTS Chong Nonsi". It is directly next to the MahaNakon building, in the very small narrow soi bewtween immediately to the left of the MahaNakon,  between MahaNakon and The Infinity It's no more than 100m from the BTS station. VERY cheap indeed, less than 1000B. Though being very small it even have a small pool between the two wings (hence the name "resort" I suppose). Looks look modern and nice in the pics, though it seems some have no wondoew (not sure). This might be another great value option for esteemed hotel-hopper @vinapu

On 3/31/2019 at 5:49 AM, BL8gPt said:

What about BBB Inn? Is it affected by the development of the area?

Nope, alive and kicking. Drove past the other day and made a point of looking, as I was also looking for the hostel there,  Minimis fromerly Thrive, sionce someone asked about that. That one is being demolished as part of the Twilight redevelopment, but not BBB.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:01 AM, z909 said:

I have done that as well, particularly if staying somewhere for a few days, where I also expect some boys to be available.  

Incidentally, googling a hotel brings up all sorts of booking sites, but the hotel website and e-mail is a long way down their priority list.  

true and annoying. A way around that is searching for a hotel in google maps rather than the regular google. The hotel description there will have address, phone number and other info, AND a link to the hotel's own website (if they have one, sometimes for some businesses it's a link to their facebook page, but same thing if that's all they have)

On 4/15/2019 at 1:11 PM, Jasper said:

They also advertise having  “Laundry Facilities”and I wonder anyone used it.

Yes I do have laundry obsession !  lol

5A2A134F-7CD7-415D-94A0-448389A1730D.thumb.jpeg.8caa087dbaa893c14fad5f3eb9270800.jpeg

Note the difference in amenities: laundry SERVICE vs laundry FACILITIES. The former should be obvious what it is, the latter can be ambiguous.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, PeterRS said:

I have never taken a drink from a mini bar, although I have regular taken the eats like Pringles or chocolate and then replaced them with items bought at 7 11. 

I'm the exact opposite haha. NEVER eaten any of the snacks, but sometimes had a coke or something from the fridge when there was an urgent need. Always paid for that, though, never even occurred to me to replace it from outside lol.

21 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Of course! But there are some people out there who seem to think that they are entitled to anything and everything in a hotel room, from the remains of a small bar of soap to towels and bathrobes. I am sure it is not restricted to Thailand.

Haha, I have actually taken remains of small bars of soap from hotels, which I do when staying at high end hotels and they have high quality soap rather than the cheapt shitty ones. And yes, I am entitled to those remains, as I already used it and it would otherwise land in the trash, wasted.

This reminds me of an annoying habit of a hotel in southern France I stay for about a week every year. They replace the soap bar after about a couple of days, when it's still like 95% intact (I only use bar soap to wash my hands, never to shower). Why they do that is a mystery to me and I find a competely unecessary waste. I do take the remains (if they leave me one towards the end of my stay) with me too, as it;s a nice olive oil soap. 

4 hours ago, martinsen said:

I don't see any mention of the Rose Hotel on Suriwong.  Anyone tried it recently?  Nice pool and very nice restaurant.

I went there to look at their rooms a year or two ago, scouting hotels for a friend. The whole place (apart from the nice lobby area) looked dark and old and tired inside and I would NEVER consider staying there.

I looked closely at Resort M last year and something put me off booking.    I don't remember why & to correct that failing, I created the table on page one of this thread.  Perhaps the problem was some questionable customer reviews.   Recent reviews seem OK, although I'm slightly suspicious & would have to look more closely if thinking of staying for a few days.  

One customer reported no room safe, but their listing includes this and even a picture.    Shall have to try it for a night.

As for what belongs to the customer, towels are obviously to be washed and re-used, so do NOT belong to the customer.   Soap, shampoo etc are intended to be consumed by the customer, so the customer is entitled to take these.   The small shampoo bottles are great for refilling and using as minatures for a short weekend break.

Reminder:  The QWANT search site seems a little better at bringing up original hotel websites than google. 

On 8/27/2019 at 12:27 PM, vinapu said:

Few people mentioned Amara, just left after 2 nights there and for those who like upscale hotels I can fully recommend. Very well appointed rooms and those on upper floors have a view, I was on 16th and it was quite impressive , not like from MahaNakhon but still close.

Rooftop poll an additional bonus and very impressive buffet breakfast. Walking distance to Patpong and Red Planet is just beside.

But it all costs money so while I recommend it be prepared with fat wallet .

AND MOST IMPORTANT- NO PROBLEM WITH VISITORS, they  let ChristianPFC in without asking any questions and the same with two lesser mortals, one quite impressively tattooed. ( no we did not have foursome , after all I was there 2 nights, right ?)

Just booked the Amara for my next trip. Looks really good. I've been looking for a hotel with a decent pool. Thanks Vinapu for the recommendation!

The Amara looks really nice and comfy BUT as mentioned, for Bangkok especially, seems pricey.  The rooms look quite small at 290 sq/ft.

For what appears HALF that price, just a couple blocks SW, is the Furama Silom which I'm curious about.  The rooms there are a spacious and nicely appointed 430 sq/ft. and it too, has a nice, albeit smaller rooftop pool.

Does anyone have any info or first hand experience at Furama Silom?

4 hours ago, bucky13 said:

I am no great fan of the Tripadvisor site but it can be useful in giving general ideas about a hotel. The Furama Silom gets some good reviews but there are few few pretty awful ones among more recent reviews. 

So Sad

This was once our go to hotel but sadly the hotel is in serious decline. 
Sadly the rooms seem to be getting neglected. Dated and a damp smell in our room this time. 

The worst hotel I have ever visited. Old and dirty hotel.It smells really bad.Very poor services.

Shock of Bangkok

Absolutely disgusting hotel. Dirty, dusty, damp, poor quality and looks nothing like the website. Will never stay again. Cockroaches on balcony mould in bathroom. 

Multiple reviews that mention damp odors can indicate presence of mold, neglected plumbing leaks, inadequate bathroom ventilation. and poor AC maintenance.

I usually spend a few splurge nights at the Amara. It offers consistently clean, comfortable and well-maintained rooms and facilities.

As is so frequently the case, you get what you pay for.

On 8/31/2019 at 11:18 PM, bucky13 said:

I've stayed there a few times, mainly because of the rooftop pool. The cheapest rooms are "ok" and fairly good value for money but they do have a mild damp smell about them as others have noted. Beds are very comfortable though and I've always slept well. Breakfast was quite an extensive buffet but always very busy. 

It's so interesting to read everyone's preferences and the reasons for them. I myself take what seems to be a different approach. I stay near Siam Square, close to BTS National Stadium. Although I've tried several establishments in the area, my home-from-home from 2004 to 2016 was the Reno Hotel. The only reason I say "was" is that I haven't been to BKK since 2016 (an involuntary state of affairs). The rooms are nothing special and the breakfast is meagre, but it has a pool, the price is/was right (about 1400 in 2016), and the location is ideal for my daytime purposes. It's walking distance to just about any kind of shopping, food, or non-sex entertainment I might want, the BTS station is a minute's walk, and then just one stop to the interchange at Siam Square, and there is a canal boat stop about 5 minutes' walk away if I want to go to the old city. For nighttime pursuits it's an easy ride on the BTS to Silom-Surawong, and an easy taxi ride back on empty streets in the small hours. I have no idea about the joiner policy because I've never brought anyone back. I use short time rooms for bar boy exploits, and in any case I prefer massage. 

I should also specify that a major factor in my loyalty to this hotel is that the staff were always nice to my ex, who usually stayed with me for the duration. They treated him as a guest in his own right. There was never any difficulty about him getting the room key if I was not present, for example. There were many other establishments where this was not the case, even when I had written his name next to mine on the registration form. There were also many cases in other hotels of staff members being, shall we say, less than polite to him if I was not standing right next to him. 

We've stayed in more than twenty Thai hotels (plus some Balinese and Laos ones) over the past few years and haven't encountered anything like that.....perhaps some make a distinction between registered guests and casual visitors? I'm surprised by Copa. A friend of mine stayed there and entertained regularly without problems. Perhaps there was something personal between your friend and the receptionist? Not that this would justify it. 

The 'punch card' or whatever you call it for working hours is pinuts if the boys don't get enough off's they can't make a living .The main reason why they don't stay overnight and  go back quickly to their bar is because they hope to get another off before the closing hour.

On 9/2/2019 at 5:56 AM, Boy69 said:

For some reason many hotels are unfriendly to locals staying with falangs it happened to me too I registrated Thai boy whom stayed with me couple of days in Copa Pattaya the reception treated him so badly that he didn't want to stay at this hotel anymore.

I've never heard of this at any hotel I used, although I have never stayed at the Copa.  

Also, unless they are effectively detaining him in reception, he can just walk right past them, so ignoring them is a small price to pay for his big fat tip from you. Unless of course he's so p***ed off with them, he wants to discourage you from staying there in future.