Hotel Reviews Bangkok

Internet excellent when I was there in January. It appeared to involve new routers. Improved beds are welcome too. The breakfast is the best we've had in Thailand...much better than in a couple of significantly more expensive hotels in Phuket and Krabi we've recently visited. Agoda price was well below 2000 pn. Location unbeatable.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:09 PM, floridarob said:

I'm just back from 10 days in BKK...Stayed at the Tarntawan and booked it sometime ago after they remodeled , 1200 baht a night net, including tax, service charge and breakfast for 2....I think that's the lowest price I've ever paid there. The staff are all still helpful and friendly. I needed a button sewed on my shirt and the housekeeper did it for me (I can't sew).

Room had good a/c, good internet (that seems new for them) and the sheets were good, bed was comfortable.....They seem to show different promos on their website, which before I remember them only showing stupid rates, easier to do better with internet bookings.

thanks for the info

I just booked a hotel via Hotels.com

As always, I get the price quoted in baht.  When it comes to the payment stage, Hotels.com have had this annoying habit of then billing in USD, with no option to change it back to baht.

That wasn't a problem previously, as they always give a mid-market rate. 

This time, the rate offered was 0.7% away from mid-market.  Admittedly, the difference isn't much, but it's the damn principle of it.  If I select a price in baht, I don't expect to be forced to pay a higher price in some random foreign currency.

And of course, in time it might be a higher percentage.

The only reason I completed the booking with Hotels.com is to use some reward nights.   

Stayed in Furama Silom at the beginning of February and can give worm recommendation for this hotel lovely rooftop swimming pool ,good buffet breakfast , spacious modern rooms ( I booked the deluxe room definitely worth the extra over the regular suppirier ones) about 10 minutes walking from Patpong and the BTS and most important no one cares there about guests coming or going totally guests freindly hotel.

Room grades are wierd.   

Why is the lowest spec often called "Superior", when "Standard" would be more appropriate ?    Then "De-luxe" has, in my opinion, no inherent higher rank than "Superior", so experience or price checks are needed to know which is best.

Some of these marketing people should be replaced by engineers.

18 minutes ago, z909 said:

Room grades are wierd.   

Why is the lowest spec often called "Superior", when "Standard" would be more appropriate ?    Then "De-luxe" has, in my opinion, no inherent higher rank than "Superior", so experience or price checks are needed to know which is best.

Some of these marketing people should be replaced by engineers.

Interesting point that made me googled about hotel rooms classification lol

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/classification-rooms-hotel-2981.html

In short, standard is the lowest or entry level hotel room, while superior, is usually a standard with view. Furama hotels rooms all have views as its only one side rooms, all facing the river, so i do think its appropriate to name their cheapest room as superior.

Deluxe is a different room size or features altogether. 

I was tempted to book Furama but chose Siam Heritage for upcoming trip in March. Close to Patpong. It’s either that or Raya. There are rooms available at Raya. Somehow, I just didn’t feel like crossing Surawong Road this time round. And I wanted pool to soak in during the afternoons.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:29 PM, spoon said:

In short, standard is the lowest or entry level hotel room, while superior, is usually a standard with view. 

Deluxe is a different room size or features altogether. 

Well that may be the theory but there really are no specific rules. It all depends on the individual hotels. I once stayed at an up market hotel in what was billed as a superior room. It was tiny, felt like a broom cupboard and had a view of rooftops. I called the management and asked to see the standard room. Oh we do not have standard rooms was the response. I then argued. I told him that in the English language, the language of the country we were in, the word superior meant superior to something inferior. Again I asked to see the standard room. To keep me quiet I was upgraded to a deluxe - which of course should have been named a superior!

Deluxe is often used for rooms of exactly the same size but on higher floors. Now I just call and ask in advance precisely what each room type consists of!

I recently tried the Le Siam (formerly Swiss Lodge)

Like:   Very comfortable bed, with a soft topper.   Bathtub (I paid a fraction extra for a room with one).  Large laptop safe.  Double glazing, with well sealed windows.  Good location, near Patpong and an easy walk to the MRT down the soi behind Silom Complex.    Nice sofa and chair.   Bangkok Post available in reception.    Clean and well maintained.   My visitor came directly to my room and left without any phone calls from reception, or other inconvenience.

Dislike:  Aircon was set to 15C before I arrived, which is TOO DAMN COLD.   I switched it to 30C which didn't seem to make much difference.  So I switched it off and wedged the window open and had a hot bath.   Eventually the hair dryer was left running for about an hour.  The cleaner turned the ****ing aircon on next day, but thankfully did not adjust the temperature.   Minibar with silly prices (250% of 7-Eleven rate).    Was asked for a credit card number for security when checking in (even though the room was prepaid).  I hadn't been asked for this at any other hotel in Thailand on this stay, so simply said NO.   Slow WiFi.   My 800 baht a night room in  Pattaya was consistently much faster.

Note: There is a building site opposite.   I was not greatly inconvenienced by this, since they seemed to stop at night and the double glazing helped.   However, they are currently doing groundwork.    If it ever gets to the stage where they are pouring concrete for 24 hours, perhaps the noise would be an inconvenience.   I imagine there is at least 2 years of building work ahead. 

I might stay here again, but the Baan Silom is likely to remain my favourite at a lower price point. 

I am currently at Le Siam hotel  for the last 3 nights of my trip the location is unbeatable behind Silom Complex 3 minutes walking from Patpong but this the only positive thing I can give to this hotel the so called executive room is relatively small it's deasent but no more than that, the breakfast was terrible they cancelled the buffet and you must order what exactly you want from the waiter . it's overpriced. My first hotel at the beginning of my trip  Furama Silom is much better choice.

33 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

I am currently at Le Siam hotel  for the last 3 nights of my trip the location is unbeatable behind Silom Complex 3 minutes walking from Patpong but this the only positive thing I can give to this hotel the so called executive room is relatively small it's deasent but no more than that, the breakfast was terrible they cancelled the buffet and you must order what exactly you want from the waiter . it's overpriced. My first hotel at the beginning of my trip  Furama Silom is much better choice.

Just to provide an alternative point of view.

My partner and I stayed one night on the 20th February before travelling back to Isaan after I returned from a trip overseas.  We stayed in an entry level room, I think it was called a classic room.The room was newly refurbished but it did overlook the next door building site which didn't affect us. I am guessing they have just cancelled the breakfast buffet due to a lack of guests as it was still there during our stay.

Overall I do like this hotel, it keeps my partner happy as there is a seven eleven outside for his evening beer nightcap and plenty of food stalls to keep his belly full.

Guest guest_BenG1000

Le Meridien is an amazing option, however now I'm going 5 times a year to BKK ... it does start draining my resources.

Never had an issue at LM bringing back (multiple) boys, not even being asked any ID.

LM is my place to be, just looking elsewhere to cut some costs

On 3/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, BenG1000 said:

Le Meridien is an amazing option, however now I'm going 5 times a year to BKK ... it does start draining my resources.

Never had an issue at LM bringing back (multiple) boys, not even being asked any ID.

LM is my place to be, just looking elsewhere to cut some costs

Have you tried The Raya? Very large rooms, not as polished I’m sure but a fraction of the cost and comfortable.