bucknaway

Guys on layaway....

Politicians and charities ask us for money and offer their good will in return. We may choose to accommodate some of those requests but it's safe to say we reject most.

MB's on the other hand provide a service and may or may not (I've never been asked to finance a phone purchase) suggest an added quid pro quo. Although some may chose to do so we're under no obligation to oblige. But the guy is entitled to ask as are the pols and the charities.

If it makes you feel better to refer to these guys as prostitutes--third world or otherwise, so be it. But I think it dehumanizes the interaction you travel so far to enjoy. Regardless of where you come from, you can find prostitutes at home. And when you factor in all the costs associated with your trip, the cost is always cheaper in your backyard.

If you view them solely in that light, it's bound IMO to affect your attitude and contribute to unsatisfactory outcomes.

I just came back from meeting a guy from indonesia, and he asked me to check if his receipt is correct. He said he just transferred RM4k (usd1k roughly) to his indonesian account, and want to make sure it is correct. I saw the receipt and its only rm3k, but there is a second receipt showing rm1k, so i guess the agent do it in two transaction, to avoid reporting it (any exchange or transfer of money exceeding rm3k needs to be reported, part of anti money laundering law). And guess how long he has been here, 2 weeks. And he will stay here for another week before going to bangkok to enjoy songkran. And another guy i followed in ig said in his ig story he made rm10k again last month, which in my country, definitely put him in the top 20% of the population, where the recent statistic put the mean wages at rm6k+. So yeah, i am definitely not surprised if the popular Gogoboy have expensive tastes. 

What i feel sorry about is i feel they tend to live in the present and dont think about their future. They cant and wont earn that much all the time, so the sooner they realize they have limited time to capitalized their youthful days to earn money, the better. Of course some of them hit jackpot and get married to a well to do former client, but most of them arent as lucky. But this is also true with some that work in any other fields too. Some just dont care about savings and retirement and buy stuff beyond what they can afford lol. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, Scooby said:

1. I said it before and of course you ignored it that there is no chance you would ever buy a boy an 8000 baht phone . That is 8x your maximum to pay a boy for giving you pleasure and I am sure there are many times you paid less than 1000 baht.

2. Anyone who actually travels the world would never refer to Thailand as a 3rd world country. You spend a lot of time in the agrarian sections of Thailand  where boys are cheaper and you can feel more superior .  That would be similar to someone referring to the farm areas of Iowa  as a 3rd world country in the USA.

3. You are not really well travelled although you think you are . And many of your comments show disdain for the Thai people . Again as I have written before, I think many , even most of our members have a much higher opinion of Thailand and the Thai people . I know I do !

My numbering in quote.

1. There is no precedence. But in principle I would, after several positive encounters. But no free boy managed to tally up enough positive encounters (let's say 4) to warrant a such an expense. Money boys yes, but they already got paid. The boy in question was free (as are most of my encounters nowadays).

2. Considering that even Klong Toey slum has running water, electricity, and some even have aircon and big flat screen TVs, I take the third world back.

3. I have no interest in traveling to as many different countries possible (which seems to be a hobby of some), but rather learn the language to facilitate traveling in that one country, Thailand in this case (and now extending to Chinese and Taiwan). At current, I have overnighted in 55 out of 77 provinces in Thailand and spent estimated 300 nights in 150 different hotels in Thailand (excluding Bangkok and Pattaya). I have travelled an estimated 20,000 km on the Thai railway network, and similar on buses. So yes, I think I am well travelled in Thailand.

My low opinion of Thai people is based on my experience. Your experience might be different, but you probably never chased a village idiot from end of the village to the other, trying to get your hand into his pants, and failing. I had many good experiences as well, and should make a statistics to see which is more, maybe it's just my brain that remembers the negative more than the positive.

Related subject: how many of your (Scooby) encounters in Thailand are paid? My experiences with money boys in Thailand (mostly Thai, but some Cambodian, Myanmar and Lao as well, however no Vietnamese for me) are overwhelmingly positive. Only when I'm looking for free sex, the problems arise. With money boys in gogo bars, there are no space-time-confusion and other problems, and when hiring online these problems are more easily overcome than with free encounters.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, Scooby said:

Is Thailand a 3rd World Country ? Of course not!

https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/thailand/overview

Clearly some grade inflation there.      Thailand is an "Upper Middle Income" country and Cambodia is a "Lower Middle Income" country.      A GDP per capita of $1390 is sufficient to get Cambodia into the Lower Middle Income category.   That is $3.80 per day.      Not what I would class as middle income.   

A realistic assessment would put Cambodia as low income, then one could debate whether Thailand should be in a "Lower middle category".    

This grade inflation of reminds me of some hotel reviews on booking sites.    Score goes from 0~10 theoretically, but a 6 out of 10 hotel will be very very poor and a 4 out of 10 will be desperate.  In reality, the score range is not 0~10 but 5~10.  

Incidentally, if we classify by "Emerging Markets" and "Developed Markets", then Thailand is well and truly in the "Emerging Markets" category.     And it is likely to remain there whilst they have rampant corruption, cronyism and poor education standards.    Fix all 3 of these issues and the country might start to go somewhere.

9 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

Only when I'm looking for free sex, the problems arise. With money boys in gogo bars, there are no space-time-confusion and other problems, and when hiring online these problems are more easily overcome than with free encounters.

I'm not surprised you have problems. If you have free encounters, as you put it, then it is a personal relationship between equals. They are not employees, available at your pleasure and if you treat them as such, which you seem to do, you  are asking for trouble. It would seem you sometimes get it.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

Just unbelievable how somebody who supposedly  is as well travelled as you could make such sweeping derogatory statements. Will never cease to amaze me that members who visit Thailand constantly can find so many bad things to say about it. Why don't these people stay in their own wonderful countries? Oh I forgot they can't get cheap sex with young men for a pittance of what they would have to pay at home. Oh and their own countries  have plenty of problems and governments that are the laughing stock of the world.

Again you have not read what I have written properly.     Is critical reading too much work for you ?

And since you are probably not going to read what I am writing here before composing another totally unsubstantiated reply, I don't know why I bother.     But here we go:

Firstly, if you think I am derogatory about Thailand, rather than being factual, point out exactly precisely where.      Countering your cherry picked facts with my facts from similar sources simply isn't being derogatory.  

Now for Some Facts.

Fact 1  Cambodia is lower middle income, Thailand is upper middle income.     Not my comparison, that is a World Bank definition.      Both countries are classed as middle income, whether you like it or not.     You are the one who bought the World Bank links into this as a justification for Thailand's middle income levels.     I am pointing out who else is middle income.

Fact 2   Thailand is defined as an emerging market by the investment community, not by me.   Google it.

Fact 3       Education standards are covered by numerous international studies, so again not my opinion.  Here is a link to one.    

http://factsmaps.com/pisa-worldwide-ranking-average-score-of-math-science-reading/

Are we not allowed to quote facts and international studies here now ?      Or is that privilige just for the former board owner ?      You do it and it's OK.    I do it and you go off on a rant.

Also, none of this means I don't like Thailand.   Where did you infer that ?       

I have purely made a rational assessment of their economy, based on World Bank data,   MSCI definitions and international studies.      If you actually spent some of your time reading something like "The Economist" you might just recognize that.

Of course there are parts of the Thai economy that do fine.    For a start, the economic growth rate is usually quite healthy.    The balance of trade is positive.   Borrowing is well under control.    All areas where Thailand is doing way better than the US or UK.

Now all of that is an assessment of economic performance.         Just because I have made a rational assessment of this, what gives you the right to tell me I shouldn't visit Thailand ?

When assessing where to go on holiday, the economy doesn't come into it.       I look for pleasant people, nice places to visit, safety, comfort etc.          I find all of that in Thailand.   I have also found it in wealthy countries like Singapore and in poorer countries like Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines.     

For what it's worth, Laos has more corruption, lower income and lower educational attainment than Thailand (all according to published studies).    However, it's still a delightful country, with delightful people.        One day you might spot the difference.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, spoon said:

What i feel sorry about is i feel they tend to live in the present and dont think about their future. They cant and wont earn that much all the time, so the sooner they realize they have limited time to capitalized their youthful days to earn money, the better. Of course some of them hit jackpot and get married to a well to do former client, but most of them arent as lucky. But this is also true with some that work in any other fields too. Some just dont care about savings and retirement and buy stuff beyond what they can afford lol. 

Agreed.    I see very few of them putting money in the bank, even though their income will probably fall dramatically by the age of 30 or 35.    I did persuade one to save something this year, but how long he keeps it up remains to be seen.

Ultimately, people are free to spend their money as they see fit.

1 hour ago, z909 said:

Now for Some Facts.

Fact 1  Cambodia is lower middle income, Thailand is upper middle income.     Not my comparison, that is a World Bank definition.      Both countries are classed as middle income, whether you like it or not.     You are the one who bought the World Bank links into this as a justification for Thailand's middle income levels.     I am pointing out who else is middle income.

Fact 2   Thailand is defined as an emerging market by the investment community, not by me.   Google it.

Fact 3       Education standards are covered by numerous international studies, so again not my opinion.  Here is a link to one.    

http://factsmaps.com/pisa-worldwide-ranking-average-score-of-math-science-reading/

Are we not allowed to quote facts and international studies here now ?      Or is that privilige just for the former board owner ?      You do it and it's OK.    I do it and you go off on a rant.

Also, none of this means I don't like Thailand.   Where did you infer that ?       

Of course there are parts of the Thai economy that do fine.    For a start, the economic growth rate is usually quite healthy.    The balance of trade is positive.   Borrowing is well under control.    All areas where Thailand is doing way better than the US or UK.

Now all of that is an assessment of economic performance.         Just because I have made a rational assessment of this, what gives you the right to tell me I shouldn't visit Thailand ?

When assessing where to go on holiday, the economy doesn't come into it.       I look for pleasant people, nice places to visit, safety, comfort etc.          I find all of that in Thailand.   I have also found it in wealthy countries like Singapore and in poorer countries like Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines.     

For what it's worth, Laos has more corruption, lower income and lower educational attainment than Thailand (all according to published studies).    However, it's still a delightful country, with delightful people.        One day you might spot the difference.

So much BS which of course is what you  do. Where did I infer that you don't like Thailand. That would be silly of me since you visit it constantly . Of course you like it for some of the things you said but mostly because of the Cheap Sex ( nothing wrong with that) . If there was no cheap Sex , you would move on. You tried to compare Cambodia to Thailand with studies that I posted and you reposted and like most of those studies they are liable to miss the reality. Anyone who would compare Cambodia with Thailand has to be ignorant to see the facts with his own eyes. Cambodia is where Thailand was 40 years ago. Their transportation systems are pitiful compared to Thailand . Their roads are pitiful.Their banking system is archaic . Their schooling system make Thailand look like Harvard .

Studies never impress me. They are done by academics and are usually years behind but of course when you google for information that is what you get and I speed read them and then see if I can agree with what my eyes tell me.

My eyes tell me about Thailand  and 35 years of visiting and residing.  More tall buildings as apartments and Condos than ever before and actually people are buying them. Many of them are being bought by foreigners but many Thais are also buying them to live in or as investments.When you spend most of your time in at best moderate Hotels and in Massage Parlors and GoGo Bars you are unlikely to see the change in the middle class in Bangkok .  When you live in a mixed use Commercial and residential building and you find 100's of office  workers ( Mostly women)  going into the Starbucks in the morning you start to realize that BKK is a vibrant city with an increasing middle class.

There is hardly any middle class in Cambodia . I'm not trying to compare Thailand with Singapore . That would be as ridiculous as comparing Thailand with Cambodia. And frankly with the prices in Singapore , I would rather go to Switzerland for the same money. 

And my comparisons of Thailand to Cambodia have nothing to do with the people . I have spent many weeks in Cambodia and find the people delightful but they have many more years to over come the destruction of the Khmer Rouge and even begin to approach Thailand in any metric.

8 hours ago, Scooby said:

Studies never impress me. They are done by academics and are usually years behind but of course when you google for information that is what you get and I speed read them and then see if I can agree with what my eyes tell me.

You were happy enough to quote the World Bank study on income levels when it suited you.

When I quoted the same World Bank study you responded with an incoherent rant.   

Your intellectual dishonesty is amazing. The link I posted had to do with the economic success of Thailand. It had nothing to do with Cambodia. You went back to find some other studies by the World Bank and then inserted your own description of the facts. And then you try to pretend we are quoting the same studies. Ridiculous !

You did not respond to anything else I said because you are a Sex Tourist ( Not a Bad Thing). You have never lived in Thailand or probably anywhere then your home country. Your experiences are as a Tourist and you see things as a tourist. Plain and simple and no studies that you may dredge up can replace the experience of actually living in a country.

32 minutes ago, vinapu said:

as for moderator you are too rude , partial and outspoken. 

I always was thinking than moderator's role is to moderate , not inflame which should be left to us , mere mortals

Did Scooby step down as mod when he handed over the forum to Michael?   I'm not sure.  That could be one of those many things that I think happened but possibly didn't - like winning that big dick contest.

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Your intellectual dishonesty is amazing. The link I posted had to do with the economic success of Thailand. It had nothing to do with Cambodia. You went back to find some other studies by the World Bank and then inserted your own description of the facts. And then you try to pretend we are quoting the same studies. Ridiculous !

You did not respond to anything else I said because you are a Sex Tourist ( Not a Bad Thing). You have never lived in Thailand or probably anywhere then your home country. Your experiences are as a Tourist and you see things as a tourist. Plain and simple and no studies that you may dredge up can replace the experience of actually living in a country.

You are now accusing me of dishonesty.   A disgraceful libelous & personal attack.   Where precisely is the dishonesty ?

And since YOU were the one quoting a link to World Bank praising Thailand's middle income status, is it not appropriate to consider what middle income is and which other countries are in the World Bank middle income category ?     Thinking people question data & definitions.    That's all I have done.     

You don't like it and have thrown the toys out of the pram.  

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

And then you try to pretend we are quoting the same studies. . 

For the World Bank issue, you referred to the World Bank classification of Thailand income band.       I referred to the  World Bank classification of Thailand and Cambodia.    Same.

As for where I have lived, your comments are purely irrelevant  and uninformed speculation.    You know nothing about where I have lived.    I have lived & worked in 3 different countries, 2 in Europe & 1 in Asia.      Since I question things and think about them might just learn more from it than some.

Like it or not you never lived in Thailand and your comments on the success economically and in regards to schooling, hospitals , infrastructure etc etc etc are nothing but the opinion of a Sex Tourist who likely has never had any meaningful discussions or relationships with non- sex workers .  My comment on whether  you had lived anywhere else was quite plain in that I said probably. Look up the word . There was no absolute and now you have clarified that fact.

My link that I posted was meant to show the current  economic successes of Thailand in regards to the World Bank and to point out that at least in most peoples eyes who have travelled extensively that Thailand was not a 3rd world country. If you think that it is then you are entitled to your opinion however wrong.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I always was thinking than moderator's role is to moderate , not inflame which should be left to us , mere mortals

Really as someone who has an opinion on everything here , you have never hesitated to comment on it and as Moderator I don't believe  I ever inhibited you . Where did you set the rules that a Moderator can have no opinion . Ridiculous!. A Moderator is a member and can add just as much value in the discussion as any member.

If you think I don't get to join the discussions like any other member then feel free to take it up with Michael.  He can change me from Moderator to Member and I will continue to join the discussions as I see fit.

52 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Like it or not you never lived in Thailand and your comments on the success economically and in regards to schooling, hospitals , infrastructure etc etc etc are nothing but the opinion of a Sex Tourist who likely has never had any meaningful discussions or relationships with non- sex workers .  My comment on whether  you had lived anywhere else was quite plain in that I said probably. Look up the word . There was no absolute and now you have clarified that fact.

My link that I posted was meant to show the current  economic successes of Thailand in regards to the World Bank and to point out that at least in most peoples eyes who have travelled extensively that Thailand was not a 3rd world country. If you think that it is then you are entitled to your opinion however wrong.

1  For most rational people, my critique of what the World Wank define as "Middle Income" would put your link & World Bank reference into some proper perspective.    However you don't get it and never will.

2   This reply from you contains more unfounded and inaccurate allegations , which you qualify by "probably".         You know nothing of my history of relationships or how it compares with your own.   If I refute the latest lot of slurs (as I can), you will probably ignore my reply post some more fake news.  A pathetic way to debate.

3 I haven't posted opinions on Thai economy.   It's all done by references to factual external studies, just like your World Bank reference.     

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Your intellectual dishonesty is amazing.. 

I will now repeat my previous question, which you have ignored, as is your modus operandii: 

Previous Question:  "You are now accusing me of dishonesty.   A disgraceful libelous & personal attack.   Where precisely is the dishonesty ?"

If you are going to step over the line into personal attacks, then put up the evidence to back it up, don't move onto another set of attacks without firstly justifying the original comments.

This thread is now in the Sandbox.  The Sandbox is a repository for problematic threads that some may not wish to view on a daily basis or at all. Inclusion of threads is by invitation only. Members may not initiate a thread in this forum but may respond to residing threads.

This forum is not visible to guests.

12 hours ago, vinapu said:

Absolutely, IMHO astonishingly provocative posts for a forum moderator to make. But I guess each forum sets its own standards.

Now that this thread is out of the main forum, id like to say my observation. When refuting z909, scooby said he has never lived in thailand, only sex tourists so he will never understand that thailand is not a third world country, while when refuting christian on the same subject, someone who has lived in thailanf for quite some times already, he said he is not well travelled enough to see what a third world country looks like. 

I dont know what history you have with these two posters, which i believed has something to do with your way of refuting these people, but when talking about a country, that have millions of people, depending on who or where or when you experiences these countries will definitely build your perception differently that others. Your own background also affect how you feel about these experiences as well. 

Now, onto my own opinion about thailand. Its a neighboring country with mine, and frankly speaking, their currency used to be equal with myr but now has passed and becomes higher than us. On the other hand, looking at the world bank data, poverty is still high in thailand, especially in rural areas (7.8% of population) while in malaysia, its less than 1%. Other issues in thailand that isnt as pronounced in malaysia are income inequality and education quality inequality. And thailand has only recently moved to upper middle income category from low income in 2011. For me, thailand is moving i  the right direction, and thais who lived in the cities are benefiting from this. But moved just a bit away from bangkok, and u can start to see this big gap in income inequality. You dont have to travel far, certainly not far enough to the rural area in iowa to see this.

5 hours ago, spoon said:

Now, onto my own opinion about thailand. Its a neighboring country with mine, and frankly speaking, their currency used to be equal with myr but now has passed and becomes higher than us. On the other hand, looking at the world bank data, poverty is still high in thailand, especially in rural areas (7.8% of population) while in malaysia, its less than 1%. Other issues in thailand that isnt as pronounced in malaysia are income inequality and education quality inequality. And thailand has only recently moved to upper middle income category from low income in 2011. For me, thailand is moving i  the right direction, and thais who lived in the cities are benefiting from this. But moved just a bit away from bangkok, and u can start to see this big gap in income inequality. You dont have to travel far, certainly not far enough to the rural area in iowa to see this.

To be fair, Malaysia does have a GDP per capita about 50% higher than Thailand, so it has been doing something right.  Going back a few years, the delta used to be significantly more & I think the currency movements have narrowed the gap.    Thailand has good economic growth & the junta is doing some things right, but they will need to fix some structural issues if the country is to ever be a high income one.  

Malaysia is a long way ahead of Thailand on global corruption rankings (61 v 99).

Also, the World Economic forum reinforces what I was saying about corruption and education :https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/04/which-asean-country-is-the-most-competitive/

Note: That's my unprejudiced assessment if independent ECONOMIC studies.    

Whether I like a country or not and where I like to go on holiday has no positive correlation with economic performance.    

Possibly a slight negative correlation, since the lower GDP countries are often more fun and it's possible to have a much more holiday for a given budget in Thailand than it is in Switzerland, for example. 

My last post got lost in discussion of economical situation in Thailand. Here again in italic, and some further notes below.

1. I said it before and of course you ignored it that there is no chance you would ever buy a boy an 8000 baht phone . That is 8x your maximum to pay a boy for giving you pleasure and I am sure there are many times you paid less than 1000 baht.

2. Anyone who actually travels the world would never refer to Thailand as a 3rd world country. You spend a lot of time in the agrarian sections of Thailand  where boys are cheaper and you can feel more superior .  That would be similar to someone referring to the farm areas of Iowa  as a 3rd world country in the USA.

3. You are not really well travelled although you think you are . And many of your comments show disdain for the Thai people . Again as I have written before, I think many , even most of our members have a much higher opinion of Thailand and the Thai people . I know I do !

My numbering in quote.

1. There is no precedence. But in principle I would, after several positive encounters. But no free boy managed to tally up enough positive encounters (let's say 4) to warrant a such an expense. Money boys yes, but they already got paid. The boy in question was free (as are most of my encounters nowadays).

2. Considering that even Klong Toey slum has running water, electricity, and some even have aircon and big flat screen TVs, I take the third world back.

3. I have no interest in traveling to as many different countries possible (which seems to be a hobby of some), but rather learn the language to facilitate traveling in that one country, Thailand in this case (and now extending to Chinese and Taiwan). At current, I have overnighted in 55 out of 77 provinces in Thailand and spent estimated 300 nights in 150 different hotels in Thailand (excluding Bangkok and Pattaya). I have travelled an estimated 20,000 km on the Thai railway network, and similar on buses. So yes, I think I am well travelled in Thailand.

My low opinion of Thai people is based on my experience. Your experience might be different, but you probably never chased a village idiot from end of the village to the other, trying to get your hand into his pants, and failing. I had many good experiences as well, and should make a statistics to see which is more, maybe it's just my brain that remembers the negative more than the positive.

Related subject: how many of your (Scooby) encounters in Thailand are paid? My experiences with money boys in Thailand (mostly Thai, but some Cambodian, Myanmar and Lao as well, however no Vietnamese for me) are overwhelmingly positive. Only when I'm looking for free sex, the problems arise. With money boys in gogo bars, there are no space-time-confusion and other problems, and when hiring online these problems are more easily overcome than with free encounters.

New contents:

There is actually one boy who would qualify for a gift, after several encounters with no problems! However, he never asked me for money or anything else. That leads to the absurd situation that those who do not ask, do not get anything; and those who ask might get something (I have brought sweets from Germany for boys, and will bring something from Taiwan, just so I can answer that dreaded question "Did you bring a gift/souvenir for me?" in the affirmative. And to avoid answering the follow up-question "What is is?" to assess the value, I will wrap it and send a picture of the wrapped gift!

There is a simple reason why I'm reluctant to make gifts: I hate getting gifts! It sounds absurd, but I don't like it when people bring stuff (food or clothes) for me, and I rejected gifts from my parents and we have come to an agreement of only monetary gifts, no more material gifts.

12 hours ago, ChristianPFC said:

There is a simple reason why I'm reluctant to make gifts: I hate getting gifts! It sounds absurd, but I don't like it when people bring stuff

it's not absurd and you are not alone, I'm the same. I'd not say I hate getting gifts but very rarely I receive something I want to have , it's usually something what other people want me to have.

With passing years we accumulate so much stuff that sometimes I have feeling that things are in charge on me , not me in charge of things