reader

Gays face death sentence

From CNN (31 Mar.)

A law goes into effect Wednesday in Brunei that will punish adultery and homosexual sex with death.

Anyone found guilty of the offenses will be stoned to death, according to a new penal code based on Sharia law, an Islamic legal system that outlines strict corporal punishments.
The strict new laws were announced by the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, in 2014 and have been rolled out gradually in the small nation on the island of Borneo in Southeast Asia. The latest phase of implementation, including the brutal new provisions, was quietly announced on the Brunei attorney general's website in December.

The Sultan "does not expect other people to accept and agree with it, but that it would suffice if they just respect the nation in the same way that it also respects them," according to the government website.

The country has no plans to halt the law amid international pressure, according to a statement from the office of Brunei's Prime Minister released Saturday.
"Brunei Darussalam is a sovereign Islamic and fully independent country and, like all other independent countries, enforces its own rule of law," the statement said.
Brunei government agencies have not responded to CNN's inquiries.

The controversial proposal has provoked strong opposition in some quarters, and actor George Clooney called for the immediate boycott of hotels owned by the Brunei Investment Group, which is controlled by the Sultan of Brunei, in an op-ed he wrote for Deadline.

Continues with video

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/30/asia/brunei-lgbt-death-penalty-intl/index.html

Same law in almost all Moslem countries, but truthfully not enforced unless you are doing it in the streets and scaring the horses.  Just stop and think about it for a minute.  Stoning for adultery?   You would soon have a population of 50.  As bad as Islam proscribes public life, it does have the saving grace in that private life is private.  Truthfully, I never feel SAFE in Islamic countries, but I have been in islamic countries with my partner, and as long as there are no public displays, they ignore the obvious.

From BBC (5 Apr.)

Brunei hotels withdraw from social media amid anti-LGBT law backlash

The social media accounts of Brunei-owned luxury hotels have been deleted or made inaccessible amid an ongoing backlash over anti-LGBT laws.

Brunei introduced strict Islamic laws this week that make gay sex punishable by flogging or stoning to death.

Celebrities including George Clooney are calling on the public to boycott Brunei-owned luxury hotels.

Now the social media accounts of these hotels have become inaccessible following criticism online.

Which hotels are owned by Brunei?

The social backlash appears to have escalated after US talk show host Ellen DeGeneres shared a Twitter post naming the nine Brunei-owned hotels to boycott.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-47824896

image.png

15 hours ago, witty said:

It's opinion doesn't matter. 

Life goes on with or without it. 

Actually, the opinions of leaders and personalities are exactly what does matter.  Boycotts are only effective if they gain a lot of media attention over a long period of time.  So the more leaders and personalities you can get behind a boycott, the better chance you will have it will succeed.  Witty,  I really don't think you have to worry about this one lasting long enough to matter.  At the present time we are boycotting KFC for PETA, Israel for the pro Palestine movement, Sinclair News for right wing distortions, Arizona for a racial profiling law, my neighbor for being a drunken creep, etc.  So many boycotts have been called that the attention span of the average American has reached it true potential of the average 10 year olds..  I would like to start a poll on how long before this boycott is forgotten, but by doing so I might prolong it.