anthogay38

Help me to prepare my trip

2 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I did on two occasions have boys based in Pattaya not wanting to travel to Jomtien.

I wonder what their logic is for that decision.   The travel would be 10 baht & 20 minutes each way.   Probably earning minimum 1000 baht instead of wasting time playing on their phones.  So to turn it down only really makes sense if they have more offers than they need, or if they have insufficient time (for example, before they have to go to their job).

Z909 - Logic ? Thai Boys ? Don’t think they go together !

could be reasons you suggest. I remember a couple of years ago when I was staying at the Poseidon in the Complex. I contacted a boy via Planet Romeo who said he would join me there but couldn’t say when that might be. I have him my telephone number and told him to call when he arrived. Maybe half an hour passed and I started to think he was not coming but my phone rang - it was him asking where I was. I of course said Poseidon Hotel - Jomtien Complex but that did not seem to register. I passed my phone to the guy on reception who gave the boy instructions. Apparently he did not know where the Complex was and had continued on the baht bus to the far end of Jomtien Beach Road looking for Poseidon. He had only been in Pattaya a few days.

So the moral of my account is not to assume that all Thais have a good knowledge of Pattaya’s geography.

Neither.

Most of those young guys are in PTY  very temporarily, have been brought there by friends etc. and stay close by them.

It is NOT a Thai virtue to be able how to read maps, nor specific parochialism, they expect to be collected and guided along the way to unknown places, that simple the Thai way. if no relative is @ hand for that, there are the motosy-boys, who you pay more for knowing the area as to sit behind their asses. So that would also nhave solved that problem of reaching Poseidon.

But then even Christian took at least 5-6 yrs before he grasped it that this is the Thai way and no sign of backwardness.

(perhaps similar to Brits or USAers who are still unable to read the 24 hr clock or what KMs and KGs mean-Thai do).

I would expect school education to cover basics like map reading.     If not, what the hell are they doing during the 10 years or so spent in schools ?       

Admittedly, all this is getting dumbed down in the era of google and GPS maps.   In most cases, all we need to do is send the location on Line or a dating app and they can use the maps to get to the hotel.

In a similar way, I note that in Laos, the shop staff almost always have to get the calculator out to figure out that it I hand over a 100 000kip note to settle a 51 000 bill, then the change should be 49 000.   

Mind you, if they were not helped out by electronic cash registers, some of the morons working in UK stores would probably have to do the same.    I would like to think the majority would manage it though.

When people use a calculator to display a price and avoid translation difficulties, they normally type in the price, with no calculation.   

When they painstakingly type in the calculation and then tell me the answer in English, I think it's an issue with maths.

Anyway, getting back to the original topic, I have made the error of talking about Jomtien host bars without recommending that  Anthogay38 visits some gogo bars.  

The gogo bars are where I would start first, since it's nice to see all those lads lined up on stage in underwear.  Also, offing is more straightforward.     

Winner Boys would be a good place to start and it's probably best to follow the advice of other members and go early to that particular bar.    Other good bars for twinks include Toy Boys, Cupidol (maybe) & Kawaii boys if it's open.   Maybe Power Boys.    

I have stayed in Ambiance a few years ago and I had a room on the road side with no noise at all. I don t know  now that the ground floor of The Cafe Royal is functioning as a sort of disco.

I have stayed at Zing during my last four seasons again with no problem of noise 

I have visited Agate definitely more luxury than Zing. Breakfast is included and much superior to Zing. It depends on your Budget and how important the extra facilities are for you. I don t know Posidon Hotel, but the restaurant is very good and you should try it.

58 minutes ago, anthogay38 said:

@Travellerdave Zing Resort et Ambiance are both cheap. Is the quality of rooms OK ? Isn’t there too much noise at night?

Agate and Poseidon hotels are twice as expensive than Zing Resort and Ambiance. Is this difference justified ?

It depends on what your expectations are.     Do you find Ibis to be satisfactory, or is anything less than the Mandarin Oriental a problem ?

I expect a clean room with a very clean & comfortable bed.   Also an en-suite where everything works. A room safe is a MUST in Pattaya.    Also, a fridge, workable wifi and I expect to sleep at night without persistent noise problems.     The place should not look too dated.     A balcony is nice, but not essential.

I don't care if there is breakfast, as if there isn't one it's a perfect excuse to go to a coffee shop & get a proper coffee.  

In Pattaya, my expectations can be met for 850~1200 baht per night.   Although below 1000, there is certainly more risk of being left disappointed.

I thought Zing was perfectly good value for 1200 baht when I stayed there in February.    Spacious room, comfortable, & everything worked.    The hotel has a pool, a gym and a sauna.      I don't see the need to pay any more. 

In South Pattaya, The Classrooms is fine.    

Near Tuk Com, Mosaik is great value.   Although I have stayed in the Junior Suites which are bigger than I need and the bill works out at ~1400 baht per night, whilst the cheaper smaller rooms at the rear have less road noise and I paid just 850 baht. 

I stay in Zing , Ambiance and Classrooms  and all are very good value for money, can't recall noise problems in neither one , nor in Copa-across from Ambiance.

Classrooms rooms are spacious thus justifying higher price than other two . In Ambiance I tried all  grades of rooms from standard to penthouse suites and I can't say I find  5x price difference justified although penthouses have better views