floridarob

SGN, where to stay?

I was just there recently. I stayed at the Sedona Suites Grand Tower. Had a gorgeous apartment on the 40th floor with amazing views. A bit pricey but great location for various tourist spots and I found the mall and market downstairs useful. I didn't bring anyone home so I don't know if that's an issue. You do have to take 2 elevators to get to your apartment - the ground floor entrance has the concierge desk and then the main lobby you change to a different elevator.

I also didn't visit any gay venues so I can't help you there. Crossing the streets takes a little courage but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.

I also spent several days up the mountains at Dalat which I really enjoyed. Flowers everywhere. Much cooler weather. Beautiful waterfalls.

In general male visitors to your room is not a problem in hotels in Vietnam (unless at late evening/at night). Local guys may be required to leave their ID at the reception (in particular if the purpose of the visit to the room is quite clear) and once the guy picks up his ID the reception may call you in the room to hear if you are OK.

SGN hotels: There are plenty of good mid level hotels in HCMC, e.g. on Ly Tu Trong street near Ben Thanh market. The Silverland hotels are recommended and reasonably priced. Plenty a cheaper but still good hotels around in that area - I suggest to look around once you get there. My recent experience is that last minute rates are cheaper than if you book long time in advance and that weekend rates are higher than weekday rates.

Gay bar: Try Thi bar or Republic Club on Durong de Tham near the famous Bui Vien street  (both are gay venues very busy on Friday/Saturday nights). I can't help you with sauna/massage venues. You will find plenty of massage guys or MB in the apps - if the massage part is important to you make sure to make that very clear - most "massage guys" coming to your room will engage directly in the fun part of the deal skipping the massage part - despite their marketing online the reality is that most are MB rather than massage guys.

3 hours ago, speedoo1 said:

I suggest to look around once you get there. My recent experience is that last minute rates are cheaper than if you book long time in advance and that weekend rates are higher than weekday rates.

I did get some good results with walk in prices on my last visit to Vietnam, admittedly a few years ago.  I think the only hotel I booked in advance was for the first night.    In one case,  I was offered a good rate by a guy stood outside his hotel & the hotel was in immaculate condition.

The major disadvantage is time spent walking around with luggage in tow, so it helps to know where there is a good selection of hotels close together.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, z909 said:

I did get some good results with walk in prices on my last visit to Vietnam, admittedly a few years ago.  I think the only hotel I booked in advance was for the first night.    In one case,  I was offered a good rate by a guy stood outside his hotel & the hotel was in immaculate condition.

The major disadvantage is time spent walking around with luggage in tow, so it helps to know where there is a good selection of hotels close together.

I have tried the same on earlier visits to HCMC but my experience was - with only 1 exception  that the "walk in" rates were higher than the rates available on Agoda. So I have given up on that/don't want to waste time chasing a possible but small discount by asking for rates directly from the hotel reception.

4 hours ago, speedoo1 said:

I have tried the same on earlier visits to HCMC but my experience was - with only 1 exception  that the "walk in" rates were higher than the rates available on Agoda. So I have given up on that/don't want to waste time chasing a possible but small discount by asking for rates directly from the hotel reception.

Has this changed since Thursday, or when you were suggesting......

On 4/25/2019 at 5:15 AM, speedoo1 said:

to look around once you get there. My recent experience is that last minute rates are cheaper than if you book long time in advance

....did you mean look around when you get there, but still book on line ?

Sorry it came out contradicting. 

Yes, if I know I will be in need to accommodation, when walking the streets of HCMC I will look out for hotels that appeal to me (sometimes I will even walk in and have a look at the lobby/reception) but I don't bother to ask at the reception for rates - I just check rates online (usually Agoda for VN) and book. The likelihood that I could have gotten a better rate by walking in and booking a room at the reception is small.