TotallyOz

Gay Thailand and Gay Bangkok Thrives and is Alive

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I have been worried since Soi Twilight closed as so many have said the area was gloom and doom and the gogo scene in Bangkok was dead. I have no idea where these ideas came from. The scene is just as active and vibrant as before. The venues have changed. The beer bars are gone but the bars and the gogo scene is great. I was in three bars tonight on Patpong 1: FreshBoys, LuckyBoys, and Screwboys.  All three were excellent. All had a plethora of sexy guys to choose from and the boys were just as plentiful as before. In fact, I think the bars have been upgraded as I certainly did enjoy the new seats, new looks, and lighting. Do not listen to the naysayers. It may take some time to walk around and see everything. But, the gay scene and the gay gogo bars are great in gay Thailand and Bangkok's scene is fun and active. 

Wow thanks Michael! What do you think of Lucky Boys? What type of boys mostly will we see in there?

Guest guest_BenG1000

I can't wait, I'll be there on Friday and no doubt ... like a kid in a candy shop, a few minutes away from my hotel room ...

11 hours ago, Michael said:

But, the gay scene and the gay gogo bars are great in gay Thailand and Bangkok's scene is fun and active. 

Thanks so much for the update with such great news and optimism. So nice to read after all the concern many have voiced.

It would be great if PaulSF might chime in with details. I would love to know a precise program to follow to hit several bars and avoid all the shows. The shows don't interest me in the least and I try to time things, but I think PaulSF has it down to an art ! My system is really hit or miss.

3 minutes ago, paulsf said:

More places should have shirtless boys out front than old Mamasans luring us in.  

I agree! And, if I had been alone, I would have been lured in. But, then I would have missed a sexy lad from LuckyBoys. :) So, I am glad we stuck to the schedule.

I did like the vibe of the new Soi and look forward to seeing other areas in the future. I was also pleasantly surprised at how nice the new places were. The owners have put time, money and thought behind the new places. (except the old mamasans who have the waiters ask you for a drink)  I guess some things never change. 

4 hours ago, hank75 said:

I second the above request, I’d like to know when’s the best time to go in and survey all the boys at once instead of sitting through shows.

in my not so humble opinion always is the best time to visit bar , show or not

We just need a beer bar or just one bar in Patpong to take the place of Maxis and be a meeting point etc. I tried a couple of the existing ones, particularly the one opposite Dreamboys P, but it’s not the same and I got tired of being harassed by the old ladies that frequently these places. I just wanted to be left alone to see what was going on !

4 hours ago, Will7272 said:

... I got tired of being harassed by the old ladies that frequently these places. I just wanted to be left alone to see what was going on !

Just curious, Will, but were they harassing you about being gay or complaining about the goings on across the soi?

Just a quick note to say really good fun meeting up with both you Michael and Paul again the other night.  Really fun / happy night...great to see you both in action. 

Seems like we have very similar tastes in our guys as that was some seriously good eye candy too. Took 2 of my wingmen from Screwboys to DJ station after and we fell out the door at 2am for food...with another lovely HK chinese lad in tow.

Hope you had a fun night with B from Lucky boys...went there again tonight with one of the Viets who sat with you both in Freshboys 2 (it was his request when asked where he wanted to go) and it is fun venue.

Ok back to nursing offmy latest hangover...night all! (Or is it morning...my body clocks a mess)!

9 hours ago, reader said:

Just curious, Will, but were they harassing you about being gay or complaining about the goings on across the soi?

Well they told me I was not gay and that I should stay with them and buy them drinks ! I didn’t mind really except I was trying to see what was going on at DBP and Lucky Boy, crowds, type of people going in etc.

Further to Will7272's remark about beer bars and host bars, he is quite correct; being able to sit in Dick's, or at tables at the other bars at street level, was one of my Bangkok pleasures. Watching people - customers, massage staff, guys on their way to work and staff- over a glass of beer was an enjoyable and inexpensive way of spending a couple of hours.

To be blunt, I'd lost interest in the go-go bars by about 2007...as soon as go- go dancing was replaced by go-go standing and go-go posing.

I hope that the new gay area will accommodate such venues.

9 hours ago, Will7272 said:

Well they told me I was not gay and that I should stay with them and buy them drinks ! I didn’t mind really except I was trying to see what was going on at DBP and Lucky Boy, crowds, type of people going in etc.

You did yourself proud in saving your baht to buy drinks for those who don't have tits. lol.

That bar has the perfect location for observing the comings and goings of DBP, LuckyBoys, Bangkok Massage and the list goes on. They have a few outside tables and many stools only about five meters across the soi from the action.

As one veteran member suggested during my last trip, maybe we should just take over those straight bars that suite our purpose.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Further to Will7272's remark about beer bars and host bars, he is quite correct; being able to sit in Dick's, or at tables at the other bars at street level, was one of my Bangkok pleasures. Watching people - customers, massage staff, guys on their way to work and staff- over a glass of beer was an enjoyable and inexpensive way of spending a couple of hours.

To be blunt, I'd lost interest in the go-go bars by about 2007...as soon as go- go dancing was replaced by go-go standing and go-go posing.

I hope that the new gay area will accommodate such venues.

Totally agree. My visits over the past 5 years centred on sitting at Maxis, relaxing, drinking, talking and watching. I think this visit will be the last for a while until I hear that there are new placed to sit rather than just gogo bars that are ok, but don’t sustain my interest too much. Given I’m an old fart. 

1 hour ago, reader said:

You did yourself proud in saving your baht to buy drinks for those who don't have tits. lol.

That bar has the perfect location for observing the comings and goings of DBP, LuckyBoys, Bangkok Massage and the list goes on. They have a few outside tables and many stools only about five meters across the soi from the action.

As one veteran member suggested during my last trip, maybe we should just take over those straight bars that suite our purpose.

Crowd funding perhaps. I’m in !