AJAsiatour

Pay the off fee by cards?

Hello All

First time poster, but have been reading lots of posts.  Apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

I'm very much looking forward to arriving in Bangkok at the end of the month and hopefully some warm weather.  Its bl**dy cold here on a Bank Holiday in London.

Do any of the bars allow you to settle the bar tab/off fee by debit/credit card?  I hate carrying large sums of money. Back here in UK I barely use cash.

Of course I fully expect to pay any boy cash

In my opinion that would be an extremely dangerous manoeuvre! Some gogo bars, and ordinary bars, operate on the border of legality! I. Sure you know what I mean.

This is not the UK...

The best thing to do is bring some (lots) of cash and change it at Super Rich at the airport. Super Rich is on the bottom floor of the arrivals terminal. They give the best rates you will find.

Sure you can use your card at some of the more trustworthy places, but be very careful where you use it.

If you use an ATM to withdraw cash you may be very surprised at the cost.

I recommend you to use cash only, especially at Bars in Silom. I found a very good money changer who IMHO, offers the best rate possible. It’s at Sala Daeng BTS Station. You just go to where the tickets are being sold and it is located right there, the only money changer at the BTS itself. 

By the way you don’t have to carry large sums of money. Just enough for your evenings fun and be sure to lock the rest away in your room safe...together with all valuables when you return with a boy!

Thailand is very safe but use caution as you would in any big city. Take out only what you don’t mind losing...like jewellery, Rolex watches etc...

Cash is king, when I my supply runs out, I use an ATM...the charge is noticeable, but is the same whether I withdraw 1000 baht or 20,000 baht, so I tend to take out what I believe will get me through my visit.  Whatever remains, I just take home to bring back on the next trip.  Helps to encourage me to return.  Recommendation for Super Rich is a good one.  I don't know the exchange in the BTS, and have used the one located directly across from where Twilight once was.

A gogo bar is one of the last places on the planet where I would use a credit card.     

Just get used to carrying cash.   For gogo bars, I take care to have a range of denominations, so I have the option of settling any bill in cash without waiting for change. 

Also, as ATM charges are obscene, the cheapest way to get cash is to carry a wad of notes with  you from the UK and change them in the airport rail station to get a good rate.

Wherever you use a credit card, be very sure (before you sign the charge slip) that the transaction is denominated in Thai baht (not pounds, euros or dollars).

This avoids an additional currency exchange that benefits the vendor's bank and disadvantages you.

And be sure you get a receipt of the transaction.

SuperRich has two locations in the Silom area. The most convenient is on the third floor of the Silom Complex (adjacent to Saladaeng BTS station) and further down Silom next to the plaza that houses the famous Arena Massage.  It's been my experience that you get a slightly better exchange rate at the latter branch, but not worth going out of your way for unless you're doing a large transaction.

To answer your question,  Yes, credit cards are pretty widely accepted in the bars and gogo’s . As mentioned by the responses above, most of the forum members here will use cash.  But the younger generation is starting to use plastic.  I had a conversation recently with a couple people in the know and they said on busy weekends and holidays when many tourists in town, credit card sales can be almost 50% . Most places have brought in computer cash registers in the last year or so.   I used credit cards a couple of times in the last couple weeks. Everything posted fine.    I use cash 99% of the time, but have no issue using plastic anymore.  

I usually use ATM's, but I keep a Capital one account (no int'l xfer fees)  that I only put money in it as I need it. Because with debit cards, it is YOUR cash that gets tied up in case of fraud (skimmer).

I prefer credit cards, but the gogo places that do accept, will charge you the commision their bank charges and then some, smh.

I generally use cash and bring enough from UK to last as long as poss...and / or as long as feel safe carrying it around if travelling, but I did have to use a card 1x last year in Screwboys when I'd hit the ATM limit that particular day (UK banks are lower than some other countries) & was in a semi blind (horny) panic to off someone...just used a credit card that had a lower value on it and I 'think' they went next door and got the bill paid at Pavilion Place, was no issue at all...I do recall there was a minimum amount they could charge though as they gave me some bhat back.

It is very likely that you will be asked to go find an ATM and come back with cash. As stated above cash is king in Thailand and anyone trying to pay an off-fee by credit card will cause some suspicion I guess.

As already advised above: bring cash (GBP) and change as you go. There are currency exchange booths everywhere but if you want the best rates, find the Super Rich or Superrich Thailand branch offices (both have really competitive rates). When you go there, bring your passport! (at least that was required in the past at the Superrich Thailand offices, but it may have changed now).

31 minutes ago, speedoo1 said:

As already advised above: bring cash (GBP) and change as you go. There are currency exchange booths everywhere but if you want the best rates, find the Super Rich or Superrich Thailand branch offices (both have really competitive rates). When you go there, bring your passport! (at least that was required in the past at the Superrich Thailand offices, but it may have changed now).

Both Orange and Green Superrich accept a photocopy of passport. 

All the gogo’s accept credit cards for off fee’s. Though  Im sure you will always find the small place that won’t.    There are a couple that will let you charge boy tip as a last resort to not getting a sale. Though boy will be delayed a day or two in getting his tip.   Things changed a lot this past year as most places now have computerized cash registers.   

I see you're in the UK - if so consider maybe applying for a MONZO card ( link below), they really are very good.  

Basically a debit card, but they charge NO international exchange fee charges and ( the best part for me anyway) when you use it the transaction INSTANTLY flashes up on your mobile phone screen, showing what you've bought and where and the amount charged by the place both in the local currency and also in UK Sterling cost too - so it's a great way of keeping tabs on whats being charged to your card "live" - and helps you stop being scammed as you'll notice instantly as they try it ! 

There are also several other nice features there too about showing your record of where and when you spent money ( handy if you want to find a place again days or months later).  Just remember the card is linked to your UK phone so if you go away and change your sim over you'd need to be updating the app contact over to that new number then too until you get home again ( I presume as I haven't had to actually do that yet myself)

https://monzo.com

2 hours ago, NIrishGuy said:

I see you're in the UK - if so consider maybe applying for a MONZO card ( link below), they really are very good.  

Basically a debit card, but they charge NO international exchange fee charges and ( the best part for me anyway) when you use it the transaction INSTANTLY flashes up on your mobile phone screen, showing what you've bought and where and the amount charged by the place both in the local currency and also in UK Sterling cost too - so it's a great way of keeping tabs on whats being charged to your card "live" - and helps you stop being scammed as you'll notice instantly as they try it ! 

There are also several other nice features there too about showing your record of where and when you spent money ( handy if you want to find a place again days or months later).  Just remember the card is linked to your UK phone so if you go away and change your sim over you'd need to be updating the app contact over to that new number then too until you get home again ( I presume as I haven't had to actually do that yet myself)

https://monzo.com

I second the recommendation for Monzo. Once you get the hang of it, it’s very handy. 

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like I'll just stick to cash for everything.  Going to be a culture shock as in UK I literally have one cash transaction per month - my haircut.

I've got Clarity, Starling and Curve card for all my forex-free transactions.  :-)

Never used Superrich.   I use the tiny little bureau just around the corner for even better rates and no queues !!  ;))))

All i need to do now is just plan the route from one bar to another  hehehe

1 hour ago, AJAsiatour said:

I use the tiny little bureau just around the corner for even better rates and no queues !!  ;))))

Seeing that a lot of members responded to your query, think you could (hehehe) see your way clear to tell us where this little bureau just around the corner is, *n? ;)))

3 hours ago, AJAsiatour said:

It looks like I'll just stick to cash for everything.  Going to be a culture shock as in UK I literally have one cash transaction per month - my haircut.

for me main  advantage of using cash, which I always do almost exclusively wherever I travel and one which outweighs inconvenience and risk of getting it stolen is easiness of controlling spending.

If I enter bar with card I may get carried over , if card is left in the room and pockets are stuffed with 20 100 baht notes , maximum I  can spend is 2000, no matter how drunk/ excited/ harassed for tips I will be.

Sure like everybody else I'm immune to impulsive shopping but question is , if we all are , why our homes are stuffed with so much of obsolete stuff.

3 minutes ago, AJAsiatour said:

The bureau I use -  from Silom Road turn into Naradhiwat Rajanagarindra Rd and head towards Chong Nonsi station.  Its about 75 metres on the right.

... which happens to be right around the corner from Superrich Silom branch. If they have the same rates, it's certainly better than SR which usually has long queues at the Silom branch (Silom Complex branch I found to be less busy)

On my last couple of trips, the rates in the Superrich airport rail link branch were better than those in Silom Complex & other city centre branches.

There is usually a queue in Silom Complex.     

At the airport, Superrich orange & green may have a queue, but since there are about 8 competing exchange booths, there are usually 2~3 which match the best rate and often no queue at all at one of them.  Just walk to the back.

I've used the SR airport locations a few times in past and the rate rate was good. I only exchanged enough cash to get me through the first night. When I get off the flight, I'm exhausted and just want to get to the hotel. Not a good frame of mind to do a big exchange and then board a crowded train.

I try to follow the advice of ggobkk above: take whatever Thai notes I have left at trip's end home with me so I don't have to stop before getting train or taxi on my next arrival.

19 hours ago, z909 said:

On my last couple of trips, the rates in the Superrich airport rail link branch were better than those in Silom Complex & other city centre branches.

There is usually a queue in Silom Complex.     

At the airport, Superrich orange & green may have a queue, but since there are about 8 competing exchange booths, there are usually 2~3 which match the best rate and often no queue at all at one of them.  Just walk to the back.

Do Superrich at the airport change THB to GBP at a decent rate?

I am resident in Thailand on a retirement visa and I have to transfer in every month more THB than I need.

Next month my better half and I are going to England on holiday and I thought it would be an opportunity to change back some THB for our spending money