reader

7 Bangkok bars.....

One of Bangkok bars is Small's on the restaurant row strip of Soi Suan Plu. On the recommendation of DivineMadman, I visited there with a friend a few trips back and enjoyed the atmosphere as much as the food. It's a reasonable walk from Silom and there's a handful of massage shops in close proximity (AEN and Art Massage to name a few).

From Coconuts Bangkok (10 May)

......among the winners of this year’s Asia’s 50 Best Bars

The rankings of Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2019 were announced at a ceremony in Singapore last night, and seven of our city’s bars made the list this year.

Named best hotel bar and best bar of the year by The Bar Awards last month, Bangkok’s oldest jazz establishment The Bamboo Bar continues to lead in these industry awards, at no. 8 (up from no. 9 last year). 

Also on the list are Thonglor’s theater-themed Backstage Cocktail Bar (no. 20), Silom cocktail lounge Vesper (no. 26) and rum-focused tiki bar Tropic City (no. 31).

Craft cocktail venue in Rabbit Hole secured the 34th spot on the list, followed by Soi Suan Phlu jazz bar Smalls at no. 42 and Chinatown’s Teens of Thailand at no. 48.

Continues with photos

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/7-bangkok-bars-among-the-winners-of-this-years-asias-50-best-bars/

Smalls looks as though it is located in the corner building which once housed the French bistro Chez Pepin. Chez Pepin was a wonderful little place to dine with one of the best hamburgers (I know, not exactly French) in the city. The patron was French but his Thai wife did all the cooking. One summer about 4 or 5 years ago they closed for a month whilst they returned to France allegedly for a a vacation and to sort out some visa issues. They never returned. I will certainly try out Smalls but I am not keen on live jazz when I am eating or drinking with friends. I prefer a bit more peace to chat. For those interested, Prince Massage is also very close.

I have never been to Backstage. I wonder if there is any connection to the Backstage Bar in Singapore which I think is a great little gay bar. It is also theatre-themed, they mix great cocktails and serve a selection of food. Highly recommended.

I have only once been in The Bamboo Bar at the Mandarin Oriental. Didn't like it one bit! Small and pokey! It used to permit smoking and a number of the rich patrons were puffing away at their cigars. A drink on the Terrace by the river is cheaper and far more pleasant!