bucknaway

Bar. Talk Bangkok

The stickman website as mentioned  the gay bar area in Patpong a few times.  This latest post suggests that some are becoming angered over patpong becoming more and more gay with gay bars being next door to straight bars.

I'm wondering if the gay bars will have an influence on the older bars in patpong that are struggling to survive and watching as gay bars open and attract a crowd while charging premium prices?

I can't help but think some straight bar owners will go gay for the pink baht.

5 hours ago, bucknaway said:

The stickman website as mentioned  the gay bar area in Patpong a few times.  This latest post suggests that some are becoming angered over patpong becoming more and more gay with gay bars being next door to straight bars.

I'm wondering if the gay bars will have an influence on the older bars in patpong that are struggling to survive and watching as gay bars open and attract a crowd while charging premium prices?

I can't help but think some straight bar owners will go gay for the pink baht.

It would be great for Patpong 2  to become new incarnation of soi Twilight with Foodland being only straight place  in the soi 

Certainly my recent experience in Patong Soi 2 bars across the Soi from Dreamboys P  was not positive. I would have thought this a great opportunity for a new stream of clientele, but I’m afraid not. 

On 5/15/2019 at 6:35 PM, Will7272 said:

Certainly my recent experience in Patong Soi 2 bars across the Soi from Dreamboys P  was not positive. I would have thought this a great opportunity for a new stream of clientele, but I’m afraid not. 

I'm not sure what you mean by a "new stream of clientele" but we were there recently (post Songkran) and the gay bars relocated in Patpong, the bars in Silom Soi 4, Silom Soi 2 and Moonlight were packing them in with mostly China and other Asia customers. A fun, vibrant and occasionally boisterous atmosphere and we enjoyed ourselves.  Didn't see any farang lounging around like Cixi waiting to be fanned, fed and fawned over.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:43 PM, bucknaway said:

...the older bars in patpong that are struggling to survive and watching as gay bars open and attract a crowd while charging premium prices?

(Agree with "premium prices" meaning being outrageously expensive, and I take most of my business online or to Pattaya for that reason, but that's not the reason for my comment.)

Gay bars and straight bars have different business models. In gay bars in Patpong, average prices are 350 drink, 500 off fee, 2000 short time; in straight bars 150-200 drink, 1000 off fee, 3-5000 short time. Correct me if I'm wrong (limited experience with gay bars there and zero experience with straight bars).

5 hours ago, gerefan said:

There is no way the average girl in Patpong gets 3-5000 baht for short time.

It is more like 1500- 2000.

The rate 3-5000 baht short time for girls is correct at bkk , 1500-2000 you can get at Pattaya and only by the freelancers there .bar girls at walking street will not agree to accept less than 3k.

6 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The rate 3-5000 baht short time for girls is correct at bkk , 1500-2000 you can get at Pattaya and only by the freelancers there .bar girls at walking street will not agree to accept less than 3k.

What about girls from soi 6 or soi Bukaow ?

I wish that womanizer Vessey will chip into discussion  here as we may be theorizing bit too much:D 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:43 AM, Boy69 said:

In that case I stand corrected. Just as well they are not my cup of tea.

15 minutes ago, ggobkk said:

2000 is the short time going rate in Bangkok...guys on apps are in the 1200 - 1500 range. 

that bar going rate seems to have gone up quite recently, maybe even coinciding with the Twilight-Patpong move. Seems I've been reading here of 1500 as the going rate in most bars (not Moonlight and such) until very recently, but maybe my memory is failing me.....

Reading anddy’s post made me think I might not be the best source as I’ve only been in the relocated bars and Moonlight. So my 2000 short term is based on a few endlessly referenced places 

ChristianPFC told me about his experience at the new Superboys bar on Patpong1 a  couple of weeks ago:

drink 300
boy drink 300
off fee 400
tip 1500

But Lucky Boys does seem to set their rate at 2k. So maybe the market is still in the process of finding a new equilibrium aka going rate.