ggobkk

Tarntawan closing

I received this email

Greeting from the Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok !!

We are delighted that you have chosen to stay at Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok and we trust you are enjoying the hotel’s services and facilities.

In this connection, we would like to advise you that, after delivering gracious service and memorable experiences for the past several years, we have decided that it is time for an extensive renovation and revitalization of this iconic property.

As such, the hotel will temporarily close for business at the end of May 2019 to carry out the necessary work until 15 July 2019, when it will be reopened under the “imm Hotel Brand” with a new name: “imm Hotel Surawong”.

We are very grateful for the many years of support all our esteemed guests have given us.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation and we trust we will meet again as we embark on the next chapter of this remarkable story.

Please follow the project’s progress at www.immhotelsurawong.com and https://www.imperialhotels.com

For any other queries or concerns, please feel able to reach out to me directly at below shown number.

12 minutes ago, vinapu said:

hopefully after renovation they will be offering good discounts to establish new name on the market

I've meet the Manager who is personable and was frustrated by the infrastructure.  forum posters have commented on the air conditioning (cold and very cold) and I've wondered at the biological resource the room carpet provided.

It appears that due to the luck of the calendar, I'll be one of the last of the Forum members to stay there as my reservation runs until the 27th.  I can only hope that the services are maintained in the last days.  I do have good memories of the Tarntawan and its welcoming policies for offs and mostly god memories of the offs.

So, I join in Vinapu's hope for discounts and a more functional hotel but with the same "guest" policies.

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

I do have good memories of the Tarntawan and its welcoming policies for offs and mostly god memories of the offs.

Wow, that must have been some fuck for your memories to have ventured into the divine.

I take it there was also a lot of kneeling involved?

I'm due to arrive next week. And after twenty years of patronage the email   I received this morning quoted by ggobkk heralded the end of an era; yes, another one. I've been getting discounts for years- deservedly so in view of my loyalty- and I suspect that that will end.

As to the carpets....their distinctive smell always announced to me that I'd finally arrived after fifteen hours of travel and so was strangely welcome. More modern hotels in climates like Bangkok's no longer (in my experience) have them. Rightly so. 

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

As to the carpets....their distinctive smell always announced to me that I'd finally arrived ....

That was the carpets !?  I always just assumed it was many years of cum built up within the very fabric ( and on the fabrics) of the building itself !  :)

More seriously thought, yes, I know exactly what you mean as I too felt the same about that welcome home smell......or again perhaps that WAS just cum as both make me feel equally at home in the Tarntawan I guess :-)

6 hours ago, Londoner said:

As to the carpets....their distinctive smell always announced to me that I'd finally arrived

Don Muang still has that same distinctive smell, so you can always go back there for it!

Speaking of Don Muang, I flew from its domestic terminal recently and I was very impressed, the selection of reasonably priced relevant shops and eateries was great

Similarly the revamped toilets and waiting areas with charging points puts Suvanabhumi to shame... its only when you get into the hallways before the airbridges or arrivals that you realize that you are in the same old smelly Don Muang!

Flying "out' is fine and I can bare that, it's the flying "in" part that I flat refuse to do now unless I have ZERO other options as if I've to stand in one more queue of rude and pushy Chinese people all fighting to get through passport control or in the taxi rank I swear I just might kill some of them next time as its been pretty damned close now a few times !

other than already mentioned above  , Suriwongse, BBB Inn, Pavillion Place, Nantra Silom, Fah, Baan Silom soi 3, D'Varee Baily Silom, D'Varee Pula Express, Glitz, Wall Street Inn, Red Planet, VSpace, Take-a -Nap - all from personal experience or from recent reports of established posters on this or other 2 gay Thai forums, all within 6 minutes 42 seconds walk from Patpong  2

Reporting from the Tarntawan...arrived yesterday, little has changed...though there are numbers stuck on the chairs in the lobby dining area.

The mantra is that all the changes will be done within two months!  I had to check but this is Thailand...I haven’t seen the manager but if I do I’ll ask some questions about the scale of the changes and if the type of clients they hope to attract.

As to pricing comps, I stayed last November at the Bandara Suites which is closer to Babylon and Prince.  Pricing was similar to Tarntawan and The Raya...it has two pools and a decent hotel gym.

2 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Reporting from the Tarntawan...arrived yesterday, little has changed...though there are numbers stuck on the chairs in the lobby dining area.

The mantra is that all the changes will be done within two months!  I had to check but this is Thailand...I haven’t seen the manager but if I do I’ll ask some questions about the scale of the changes and if the type of clients they hope to attract.

As to pricing comps, I stayed last November at the Bandara Suites which is closer to Babylon and Prince.  Pricing was similar to Tarntawan and The Raya...it has two pools and a decent hotel gym.

Is the Bandara Suites gay/guests freindly ?

57 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Is the Bandara Suites gay/guests freindly ?

I am pretty sure it is, as ggobkk has previously reported.

Be advised there is construction going on next door (for a new space like The Commons over in Thonglor).  Might make sense to ask for a room without construction noise/view, if that sort of thing bothers you.

5 hours ago, ggobkk said:

The mantra is that all the changes will be done within two months!  I had to check but this is Thailand..

Don't underestimate Thais,

when MyHero was announced to be opened at that and that date in old Hero location I went to check site just few days before  and it was nothing than  construction site so it seemed fantasy.

Yet few days later with another forum member we went there on supposed opening date and yes,  it was opened, smelled fresh paint and few boys on duty  yet operational as announced. 

Bandara was gay friendly when I was there in late November. Didn’t know about the construction going on...I’m leery about noise which is what the Raya is nor on my current list of places to stay. 

This morning I had a chance to talk with the manager of the soon to be closed and remodeled and renamed Tarntawan.  The changes include a new entry area and courtyard alignment.  Taking out and replacing all the carpet (must be reading this Forum topic), upgrading the bathrooms, lobby redone.

He thinks (hopes) it call all be town in 6 to 8weeks.