ggobkk

Tarntawan closing

2 hours ago, ggobkk said:

This morning I had a chance to talk with the manager of the soon to be closed and remodeled and renamed Tarntawan.  The changes include a new entry area and courtyard alignment.  Taking out and replacing all the carpet (must be reading this Forum topic), upgrading the bathrooms, lobby redone.

He thinks (hopes) it call all be town in 6 to 8weeks.

Six weeks to upgrade the bathrooms in ALL 75 rooms? That is surely typical Thai optimistic man pen rai. It would take far more than 6 weeks elsewhere and would be undertaken on a floor by floor basis so that the hotel could continue to have guests during the renovations. But then the upgrade may merely mean putting in new shower curtains! :startle:

Have just had three pleasant days in Tarntawan. Inquiring about the future, I was told that, after the renovations, the only change will be to the name. The staff remain.

The hotel has had some critical comments recently;  I can report that the reception and staff  were friendly, the rooms as clean as always in my experience and the a/c quiet and effective. I thought some of the criticisms to be OTT, to say the least and noted that Trip Advisor's reviews were generally positive. In other words,  I was not alone in my views.

I am now In Krabi , staying in a hotel twice as expensive as Tarntawan. Not only is the breakfast nowhere near as good but I'm being charged 450bht  pp a day for it. I have to say this though.....the restaurant- on the sea-front with a view of the islands in distance-  is rather better than that of Surawong! 

Londoner, sorry I missed you. I’m staying at the hotel another 2 nights. Manager told me the main thrust would be the courtyard and lobby.  Then remove carpet. Water system improvements are to the delivery system (probably why courtyard is being torn up).  New electrics for the rooms - but on a phased basis. Smoke detectors installed. 

I still don’t think it can all be done in his time frame but good luck to him.  I’m having a very pleasant stay this week.

I'm pleased you are enjoying the hotel, ggobkk. Tarntawan has been my Bangkok base for nearly twenty years, my point of entry to Thailand, where I stay for three days, meet-up with my boyfriend and  then depart for other places. Bangkok has its thrills, but for me they are short-lived.

I was intrigued by the venom of some of the comments elsewhere and when I arrived, I tried to look at the place with an open mind. What would a first-time visitor, without all my emotional baggage, think of it?  And I also took until account the views of my boyfriend who has been with me for fifteen of those twenty years  and, by now, has wide experience of Thailand hotels, as well as some in neighbouring countries. And I still maintain that it is a good base for those who wish to enjoy the gay scene- at its price.

My current hotel in Aonang, Krabi, is a better hotel in many respects and certainly has an attractive setting. But it is twice as expensive

I Have also been staying at Tarntawan for more than 20 years and feel very sad it is changing. Once the first change of owners took place it was the death bell for an era. The recent events and sale are just another symbol that Thailand is changing and we need to assess if these changes make us still feel welcome. 

5 hours ago, Davidsteel99 said:

I Have also been staying at Tarntawan for more than 20 years and feel very sad it is changing. Once the first change of owners took place it was the death bell for an era. The recent events and sale are just another symbol that Thailand is changing and we need to assess if these changes make us still feel welcome. 

I wouldn't worry too much , it's just one hotel in area abundant with gay friendly hotels in all price ranges.

I stay there few times and liked hotel but not necessarily so  all those patrons surveying my choice of breakfast companion. 

9 hours ago, Davidsteel99 said:

Unfortunately Thailand becoming more and more East Asia tourist oriented (Chinese, Taiwan,Hong Kong act) they tend to spend more money and are bigger tippers than we the falangs. I agree with you that it's a death of an era.

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

Unfortunately Thailand becoming more and more East Asia tourist oriented (Chinese, Taiwan,Hong Kong act) they tend to spend more money and are bigger tippers than we the falangs. I agree with you that it's a death of an era.

I think that the East Asians are the largest segment of the tourists.  From what the boys tell me, only a few are great tippers...they are the one’s with the bottle service.  But, for the most part, they pay the drink toll, don’t order a 2nd, and leave after the shows in the clubs.  For offs, they pay the going rate but after trying to bargain.

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

t not necessarily so  all those patrons surveying my choice of breakfast companion. 

Can order breakfast to be delivered the the room, up until noon (used to be 24 hrs)

People seeing who I was with doesn't bother me, I'm just too lazy to get up and go downstairs