BiggusDikkus

Bangkok, Night I

35 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

I never knew there is a bar called Galaxy boys .where is it exactly?

long gone , I think it was in the same soi where Golden Cock and Super A still are but I may be wrong.

OP is just recalling his first trip 23 years ago

I remember Galaxy Boys...a few years before OP...it was my first Thai off experience.  I believe I did everything wrong and it still turned out all right.  Galaxy Boys also had rooms on the premises.  

4 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Observation...if BiggusDikkus was paying 2000 THB for an off two decades ago...given inflation, currency fluctuations, etc...today’s prices are a bargain.

Observation:    This is neither a statistically significant sample size nor a rational way in which to assess if today's prices are a bargain.   

ONE person paying what might have been a very generous price 20 years ago is no way to assess current pricing.       

Fresh Boys charged me 1000 for 2 drinks and an off on my last visit.    By current Bangkok standards, this is almost bargain territory.  

2200 for the off and one drink is nearer to extortion, although nevertheless it makes a very good trip report.

16 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Observation...if BiggusDikkus was paying 2000 THB for an off two decades ago...given inflation, currency fluctuations, etc...today’s prices are a bargain.

I don't think it was an off fee, at least not the whole thing. I'm sure the tout made off with at least 1,000 baht. And I am also sure that I bought a drink for the guy who came to sit with me. I probably bought more drinks than that. But not 2,200 baht worth, and I never signaled that I would “off” the boy from Isaan. But it was clear to me that I would be paying at least 2,200 baht before I could leave, not that any threats were ever made. It was more like persistent pressure.

Biggus, 

I greatly enjoyed your reminiscence of your first time in Bangkok and it made me think that a thread on 'First Encounters' might be entertaining.

Following your lead I have written up my first trip to Bangkok but do not want to divert this thread if you plan to use it for a report on your current trip. 

If you plan to use this thread to write up your current trip, let me know and I will start a new thread on First Encounters. 

On the other hand, if it is ok with you to divert this thread to First Encounters, with your permission I will add a report on my first ever trip to Bangkok here.

Best regards, CD

23 minutes ago, CurtisD said:

Biggus, 

I greatly enjoyed your reminiscence of your first time in Bangkok and it made me think that a thread on 'First Encounters' might be entertaining.

Following your lead I have written up my first trip to Bangkok but do not want to divert this thread if you plan to use it for a report on your current trip. 

If you plan to use this thread to write up your current trip, let me know and I will start a new thread on First Encounters. 

On the other hand, if it is ok with you to divert this thread to First Encounters, with your permission I will add a report on my first ever trip to Bangkok here.

Best regards, CD

Please start a thread on first encounters. It's a great idea! I plan to make at least two more somewhat lengthy additions to this thread, one regarding my last night in Bangkok back in 1996, and one about my most recent trip.