abidismaili

How to protect against Syphilis?

I know condoms protect against HIV

But I read syphilis can also be contacted just when kissing. How to protect against that, other then just not kiss the boys?

In a few weeks I go again to Thailand and I like kissing. So I understand better not kiss then, how do your guys do this? You have stopped for the time being kissing your offs?

whatever, no risk no fun. I like kissing too, and I don't really care about diseases that could be transmitted that way, as those are easily treatable and curable. Big deal to catch Syphilis, get a shot and it's done with. Just be sure to get tested on a regular basis. Or else lead a no risk no fun life.  

Syphilis is contracted by physical contact with someone who is in an infective stage of the disease.

Someone in an infective stage will have one or more sores and it is contact with these sores which transmits the disease, which is what makes condoms effective protection.

In the early stage of the disease the sore(s) will be at the initial point of infection. eg on the penis or around the genital area (usually identifiable), in the anus (hard to see), in the mouth (can be hard to see). 

In a later stage they may appear in other places also.

I enjoy kissing too and am not going to give it up.

I just take enough precautions to feel comfortable.

In addition to condoms my basic precaution is in three parts. 

(a) Enjoy a shower with your partner pre sex. Use this to subtly check him for signs of sores. 

(b) Enjoy some foreplay and use the opportunity to subtly check for sores. 

(b) Wash promptly after sex, including washing the body parts most used with a sterilizing agent. Medical alcohol for the genitals and anus, mouth wash for the mouth. I always offer this to the guys I am with, partly to remove any perception that I think they are 'unclean' compared to me and partly as good practice. 

Happy Kissing!

To add to the above, regular std checking will ensure that u get treated early before it get worse. Recommended checking frequency is every 6 month, but for sex tourist, i think 1-2 month after your thailand visit is a good time to do the test. Of course if you experience any of the symptoms, go for testing as soon as possible.

To answer your question about the test, it depends on the kind of test and what kind of std. There are quick test kit that can give results within an hour or so, for hiv, syphillis and hep B, and up to a day for gonorhea and chlamydia swap test. But there are also more elaborate test that is more accurate and require less windows of waiting for detection, but require more time to see the result. 

Your doctor can better advise you what kind of test is available, the time, accuracy, window etc, and of course the price. Im no way an expert, but i just went for testing here in the community clinic that provide anonymous testing, and they have around a dozen or so tests and combo, priced from usd 10 to usd 80 or so, complete with counselling on stds and support if any of the test came out positive.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, anddy said:

whatever, no risk no fun. I like kissing too, and I don't really care about diseases that could be transmitted that way, as those are easily treatable and curable. Big deal to catch Syphilis, get a shot and it's done with. Just be sure to get tested on a regular basis. Or else lead a no risk no fun life.  

What a ridiculous position to take on this serious disease.  You are promoting ignorance and stupidity.

5 hours ago, martinsen said:

What a ridiculous position to take on this serious disease.  You are promoting ignorance and stupidity.

not at all. If you wanna be sexually active there is no sure way to avoid infections. Obviously, using condoms goes a long way and are not the subject of the post. Kissing can't be done with a condom, the same goes for sucking (for most people; it CAN be done of course, but it's about ZERO fun for both parties). So how do you avoid catching Syphilis, Gonorrhea et al.? Well, you can't and you won't. So far from promoting ignorance and stupidity I'm promoting regular testing for ALL STI's, not just HIV for which there is a lower probability  of catching it that the others (provided condoms or PrEP or best both are used).

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

When one of us has an infection, we pass it on to to others....and it spreads widely and quickly. Some of those affected may have neither the money nor the knowledge  to   to deal with it.

Which goes to support my point of getting tested regularly. Especially the sex workers using the free services available to them. 

41 minutes ago, DivineMadman said:

I disagree with this.  I've found lots of guys who are great at giving head when I'm wearing a condom.  The techniques might be a bit different, sometimes maybe a bit "rougher" and even a little with the teeth.  

interesting, I tend to feel more or less nothing.... And teeth I find a big no-no, but then maybe that's different with a condom; can't tell coz of my super limitedexperience.

Also, because I firmly believe that sex workers have every right to ask a customer to wear a condom, including for oral sex, I think it's important - and really quite easy - have the attitude "Sure, put a condom on me, it will still be fun and I'm so glad you're taking your health seriously."  If people get all pouty face or start cutting tips because their guy asks them to wear a condom then it is unfair and sends the wrong signal.

fully agree with that. Just if he were to ask ME to put on a condom for him to suck me, I'd probably decline (i mean to get sucked, not insist on sucking without the condom) due to the lack of fun for me. In no way would it have an impact on the tip.