macaroni21

Bangkok nights (trip report) and more

Quite superb writing! I hope there is a novel or a travelogue - or even a series - lurking somewhere on your wish list. (I would have said bucket list but am sure you are not yet at that more advanced age.)

It is so good to have you back! Yet the tales of your visit do make for rather alarming reading, in particular what the bars are offering in their new locations, the types of boys available and the lack of customers. We have known that over the last 15 years or so both the dancing on stage and the customer base has changed dramatically. Same for the introduction of boys from neighbouring countries who are often more fussy about what they will and will not do compared to the Thais who strutted their stuff years ago. O tempora! O mores!

I remember in your earlier incarnation in a thread about the changing nature of the gogo bar business, you gave a splendid description with a detailed diagram of the type of bar you believed should not just be considered but would be a success. If my memory is correct, this involved breaking bar areas down to much smaller sections, each with a different type of activity. For a supplement customers could enter a room with boys dancing naked as they used to do aeons ago. With the increasing Asian customer base and its different male to female balance, I wonder if you think this might still work. Or has the market changed too much for that business model to work?

I do hope that at some time in the near future you will consider an article giving us your thoughts on the differences between those times and the present,  as well as offering your predictions a to how you see the gogo bar business evolving over the next few years.

Nice write up on arena, sabaidee and natural massage. Only been to arena before, and i was assigned much larger room that as what you had, twice. The second time, there was two massage table and the masseur combine the two making an extra wide massage table for me lol. 

Responding to PeterRS above:

Yes, I vaguely remember that I had posited the idea that to balance the conflicting interests of customers who are ready to off boys, and those who are only interested in a show, a bar might do well to divide itself into at least 2 sections. Each section might be half the size of today’s Hotmale or Fresh Boys.

The gogo section would have boys on rotation all four hours from 21:00 to 01:00, make money on drinks and off fee. Because the space would be a lot smaller after division, there should be greater intimacy with the gogo boy moving around the bar (if possible) and giving something like lap dances to patrons (tips expected naturally). Interaction increases the chances of an off.

The show section would have its own ticket pricing (which may or may not come with a free drink). Perhaps two 45-minute shows a night say, at 22:00h and 23:30h. The show performers can be outsourced rather than rely on rice farm kids to be dancers. Of course, right now, every time we think of “outsourced”, we think diva-type performances, but it doesn’t have to be so. There could well be very masculine groups doing striptease and explicit shows and making money on that without any interest in being off’d.

Why did I suggest something like the above? Because right now, the interested-in-offs patrons who don’t care much for shows are being asked to pay a price that includes shows.  And the interested-in-shows-only patrons are actually subsidised by the first group.

At today’s prices maybe it should be something like 250 baht for entry and first drink in the gogo section, and 600 -700 baht a show ticket.

The show space being small, there will be an intimacy to the whole performance, with audience participation even.

Is this still a workable idea? Hard to say. Sometimes, a concept needs to be experimented with to know for sure.

Very fair point being raised here on gender. My country are conservatives on both sides of women and gay alike. Of course lewd women arent persecuted as bas as the gays but it is still not easy to see women in a male bars. So at least for me, seeing a female colleague in a silom gay gogobar is very unlikely enough to not make me feel worried about going there. But this might not applied for the chinese though. Again, i have no idea lol. My main grudge against women in gogobars are mostly the boy i want cant take their eyes off women, so my chance of getting boy of my dream goes to almost zero lol. While this also happened when a guy offing my dream boy in front of me, but i cant just compete with girls when the boy is straight. 

Anyone going to a gogobar is risking exposure in one way or another. You are in a quite a public place where there is no restriction on who can enter. Ive seen straight men comes into the bar with his wife/gf too. I guess if one truly afraid about being outed, will have to avoid bars and stick with massages places. I have a virtual friend here who only goes to freelance who take incalls, because he is afraid of going to the massahe centers in the off chance someone he knows also goes there and they might meet at the counter. Going to gay sauna or bar is definitely out of questions. 

I am just glad that my country is conservative enough (both straight/gay of both genders) regarding sex tourism that i dont have to worry of meeting someone i know at one of these bars. Cant say itll never happen but lets hope it never will

For a different perspective. I visited Bangkok and brought my 25 yo Filipino friend. He loved Bangkok but had no interest in the Go Go Bars. He wanted to go Disco!! And he was also hunting for an older man to be his Daddy. Asian men need not apply...

44 minutes ago, spoon said:

Most western gay tourist has moved to sunee plaza and jomtien is my guess, where fem twinks are abundant and drink prices still reasonable.

A fair suggestion. But both are in Pattaya. From reports Sunee Plaza is almost a dead zone now compared to ten years ago. Winner Bar has twinks, Nice Boys is popular and there are at most one or two more gogo bars. Also from reports, most of the boys in the many Jomtien bars are from other countries. And Jomtien has no gogo bars.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:17 AM, macaroni21 said:

Wednesday evening: Pattaya massage.

A brilliant business idea thus came to mind. These M2M places should offer one more service: pubic bush trimming — or shaving if that’s what a customer wanted. 

Well there are in fact such grooming services available, at least in Bangkok. At Up2You Hair Salon, 2nd floor of Charn Issara Tower (off of Soi Thaniya, there's a back entrance to the building) as well as Cutey&Beauty in Thaniya Plaza. The do waxing (which I have done), but I have no doubt they would to trimming and shaving as well

13 hours ago, spoon said:

Most western gay tourist has moved to sunee plaza and jomtien is my guess, where fem twinks are abundant and drink prices still reasonable.

Agree with you there Spoon. My last trip was centred on the Jomtien Complex plus several visits to Winner Boys to off boys. I did go to BT but only occasionally whereas over the previous 10 years I was a regular in BT.  Going back a long time (10 to 20 years) spent a lot of evenings in Sunee.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:08 AM, GWMinUS said:

For a different perspective. I visited Bangkok and brought my 25 yo Filipino friend. He loved Bangkok but had no interest in the Go Go Bars. He wanted to go Disco!! And he was also hunting for an older man to be his Daddy. Asian men need not apply...

I was chatting to a, no spring chicken, friend of mine and i mentioned D.J. Station as a 'DISCO'. He said "God how old are you? -- disco indeed".