Wynter11

July in BKK

I have some tentative bookings for a trip in July. All the stories of New Twilight are exciting and I’m hoping I’ll be able to get away for a few days. My first trip was in Jan, so obviously there will be some seasonal differences. Can anyone shed any insights or advice for a trip at this time of year?

Hotels are cheaper. Take advantage. Compare prices with those in January. As for the weather. I've just returned from three weeks in the Rainy Season, much of it in Krabi where long periods of rain aren't unusual at this time of year. We lost only one day due to bad weather. In Pattaya/Jomtien, a few hours. We were certainly fortunate but the truth is that  I go there every year at this time and very seldom has my trip been disrupted.

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

Hotels are cheaper. Take advantage. Compare prices with those in January. As for the weather. I've just returned from three weeks in the Rainy Season, much of it in Krabi where long periods of rain aren't unusual at this time of year. We lost only one day due to bad weather. In Pattaya/Jomtien, a few hours. We were certainly fortunate but the truth is that  I go there every year at this time and very seldom has my trip been disrupted.

In my last visit on August I had many rainy days , outdoor activities were almost impossible. I learnt my l lesson future trips to the LOS will be between February to April at this period the weather is good and the prices although more expensive than the low season but cheaper than the pick season December / January.

June / July will mostly be good weather - not sunny all the time and occasional rain but it will not ruin anything - I consider it a good period to visit TH; low season, less tourists, less hot and clouds will provide some protection against burning sun.

April will be soaring hot but air fares and hotels are cheap after Songkran.

11 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I learnt my l lesson future trips to the LOS will be between February to April at this period the weather is good and the prices although more expensive than the low season but cheaper than the pick season December / January.

If you are considering islands or beach breaks, remember to avoid the 10 days before and after Easter. Thats one period when families from the west flock to Thailand.

Boy69 and speedoo1 are both correct.  My experience over the past twenty-three years is that the early part of the rainy season is likely to  produce decent, if not perfect, weather while the later part, particularly September,  can be disappointing for beach-lovers. This is not true of Koh Samui where  the weather is good at that time of the year; it has a different climate due to its location.

I tend to consult climate charts.       Although anecdotal reports are helpful, climate charts give a much quicker understanding.   

Much better than someone I know who flies to Bali in December & bitches about the rain, when one glance at a climate chart would show this is the wet season.

Here is an example for Thailand.   Tends to suggest Pattaya is a good destination now, although I would check a second data source.

https://en.climate-data.org/asia/thailand-202/

I can verify that December, January & February are pleasantly dry in central Thailand, but bollock freezing cold back in northern Europe.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:24 PM, Wynter11 said:

Definitely!

If I don’t make it in July, I’ll most likely make a trip in Dec/Jan. Perhaps before or just after New Years. 

The weather will certainly be better then.

Now my soi has turned into a raging torrent (slight exaggeration) but there is a nam tuam up to the top of my shoes.

Book early if you're coming at the end of the year.

I’ve had to shelve my plans for now :(

I’ll have to try again for Jan when my work/life commitments are less hectic.

Thanks everyone for the advice though, I was very excited about seeing BKK in a different season and the new Twilight given that my first ever visit was mere weeks before the end of old Twilight.