stebalore

Bangkok advice

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around reading all your invaluable advice about Bangkok in preparation for a two-night stay at the end of July. It's only a short time, and I don't want to waste any of it, so I wanted to check with you that I'm making the right choices. Basically, I'm not interested in twinks - only men with muscles, whether it's Moonlight model muscles or Tawan bodybuilders in their thirties or forties. So should I just go to Tawan both nights? Or should I check out New Dreamboy or would you suggest anywhere else? What's the going rate for Tawan guys? Is it the same for everyone or do I agree a price? And what do I do if someone I'm not interested in sits next to me? Say straightaway that I'm not interested or have a conversation and tip him? If I tip him, how much should I give?

I'm also planning to go to Arena for a massage on the day I arrive, and am thinking of getting a guide for the second day. Does anyone have experience of the guides at Siam Roads?

Thanks for reading my many questions :-)

welcome to the forum

Since you mentioned Tawan twice in your question this is where you should start, if you like what you see , return next night, if you don't, next night or even later first evening visit Moonlight and Dreamboys in any order.

Other option is to pay off fee for chosen Tawan guy , tell him you will pick him up later and go to see one of other tow bars. You can also drag him with you there if he wants. some boys may be thrilled to see other bar , others definitely not.

Try to get boy short time for 2000 , long time if so inclined for 3000 but hunks may want more and Moonlight models most likely so.

I'd agree on a tip beforehand to avoid nasty scene with well built guy !.

In Tawan boys are circulating freely so one of them may sit beside but if you not interested just ignore him politely. They saw it all and will not force themselves upon you. If you engage him in conversation it will cost you a drink for him and 100 baht , perhaps 200 tip , depending on timer he will spent with you .

In Moonlight and Dreamboys it may be mamasan who will try to engage you in tip dispensing , feel free to ingore such advances unless you want somebody to talk to, nothing wrong with that. 

Arema is good choice  but when walking on Silom and Suriwong have eyes opened as  staff of many massage shops is sitting outside and somebody may catch your fancy. 

Thanks for your replies, vinapu and ggobkk.

I think I'll go for a massage at Arena (and keep my eyes open while walking there, just in case :-)  Then Tawan the first evening. I don't think I'll drag the Tawan guy anywhere, except to my hotel, and I'll go to Dreamboy the second night. What time should I get there? If I don't like it there, I can always go back to Tawan and see if there are still offable guys available. Still haven't decided what to do about a guide.

7 hours ago, stebalore said:

Thanks for your replies, vinapu and ggobkk.

I think I'll go for a massage at Arena (and keep my eyes open while walking there, just in case :-)  Then Tawan the first evening. I don't think I'll drag the Tawan guy anywhere, except to my hotel, and I'll go to Dreamboy the second night. What time should I get there? If I don't like it there, I can always go back to Tawan and see if there are still offable guys available. Still haven't decided what to do about a guide.

I would recommend Lucky rather than Dream boys unless they opened the bigger one now (till mid June, the big dream boys was still under construction and the existing one is not worth visiting) but if you must, I would say, visit Lucky first and if you feel a need then visit dream boys later.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:51 AM, newscene said:

I would recommend Lucky rather than Dream boys unless they opened the bigger one now (till mid June, the big dream boys was still under construction and the existing one is not worth visiting) but if you must, I would say, visit Lucky first and if you feel a need then visit dream boys later.

Thanks, newscene. I was thinking of the new Dream Boys that DrimVoiz wrote about on his recent trip, but I might give Lucky a try, too :-)

9 hours ago, Jasper said:

I recommend Tawan > Moonlight > Lucky Boys >  Dream Boys in that order if you like muscle men.

Thanks, Jasper. That's another vote for Lucky Boys :-)

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

Lucky is a major improvement over its predecessors. 

Thanks, ggobkk. Vote number three for Lucky Boys. I had a look at the videos on Facebook and saw there were singing ladyboys (or drag queens?). What time should I get there to avoid them? I just want to see muscle guys walking around :-)

muscle men at Lucky Boys? I've been there I think 4 times now, I saw a couple maybe (let it be three or four as margin of memory error), but that's out of, what, up to 50 boys? Yes they kinda have all types, but the vast majority is either twinky, or slim or swimmer or next door "normal" type. The one muscly guy that stood out on my last visit was indeed quite muscly and beefy, but still not in the same league as Tawan. 

So while I would also highly recommend Lucky Boys for the sheer number of boys (minus the lady boy / drag queen lipsynching), which produces a decent probability of liking a few of them, I would just want to manage expectations here for someone who has a penchant for Tawan-type muscle hunks. How this all compares to either of the new Dream Boys bars I cannot say, as I haven't been.

Thanks, spoon. I must say I'm curious to see Mr Mehkin after reading about him on these forums. I'd also read that Jupiter guys aren't as enthusiastic as guys from other places once they go back to your hotel, so I was a bit wary of Jupiter because of that. However, I could pencil in a visit to see if Mr Mehkin is there and available. I guess I'd have to get there early before he's offed by someone else.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:23 PM, stebalore said:

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around reading all your invaluable advice about Bangkok in preparation for a two-night stay at the end of July. It's only a short time, and I don't want to waste any of it, so I wanted to check with you that I'm making the right choices. Basically, I'm not interested in twinks - only men with muscles, whether it's Moonlight model muscles or Tawan bodybuilders in their thirties or forties. So should I just go to Tawan both nights? Or should I check out New Dreamboy or would you suggest anywhere else? What's the going rate for Tawan guys? Is it the same for everyone or do I agree a price? And what do I do if someone I'm not interested in sits next to me? Say straightaway that I'm not interested or have a conversation and tip him? If I tip him, how much should I give?

I'm also planning to go to Arena for a massage on the day I arrive, and am thinking of getting a guide for the second day. Does anyone have experience of the guides at Siam Roads?

Thanks for reading my many questions :-)

Others might disagree, but I would not worry about a guide on a short, two-night stay unless your odds of returning to Bangkok are almost nil. You are going to have to rest at least a few hours (I hope!!!).

4 hours ago, stebalore said:

I'd also read that Jupiter guys aren't as enthusiastic as guys from other places once they go back to your hotel, so I was a bit wary of Jupiter because of that.

while this may or may not be truth, all reports on fora should be take with grain of salt, specially if we really don't know person forming an opinion ( for example I'm not demanding when comes to food I may be praising , somebody  other , more demanding ,  will consider barely edible ).

It's best to follow your guts , go and see for yourself.

Not heading such advice as mine above kept me from ever putting my food in Tawan for my first 8 or 9 trips, only when I finally came to sense I realized what I was missing

Good advice, Dalewood and vinapu. Thanks :-)

I'll probably be jetlagged most of the time I'm in Bangkok, so good idea to take resting into account. And I won't bother with a guide. I was actually in Bangkok about ten years ago and saw all the things that tourists are supposed to see. I was with my partner then and we didn't set foot in a gay bar. 

I've just seen the exchange rate - Bangkok is going to be a bit more expensive than I was expecting!

8 hours ago, stebalore said:

I'll probably be jetlagged most of the time I'm in Bangkok, so good idea to take resting into account.

Keep in mind that jet lag often bites hardest on 2nd day  as first day we are running on adrenaline and excitement of being in new place.

As for Bangkok being more expensive than expected old travelers tale ' bring half stuff and twice as much money'  always help to cope. 

Circadin (melatonin) helps with jet-lag. I bought mine at Boots, Silom. 500 bht for 18 tablets, if I recall correctly.

As far as expense is concerned, you are right but hotels and restaurants remain good value. And, by the way, the old Tarntawan Hotel, beloved by many,  will be called the imm hotel, Surawong (yes, small "i") and will offer excellent prices. Check out Agoda. My September room costs less than £25 pn. I paid nearer £50 in May.

To follow up on ggobkk post here is the email.

Warmest greetings from TCC Hotel Group  !!

We would like to thank you for the excellent relationship we have enjoyed with you over the years. Throughout its tenure, The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok has consistently welcomed guests with memorable experiences. We would like to take this opportunity to announce that we will embark on a new chapter in its remarkable story.

The Tarntawan Surawong Bangkok will be temporarily closed between 1 June – 15 July 2019 for an extensive project to revitalize this property. In the meantime, we are pleased to welcome all pre-booked guests and new reservations staying from 16 July 2019.

Please note that the name will be remain or not change to be imm Hotel as my informed earlier. We would like to apologize for any confusion by reverting back to “The Tarntawan Surawong Bangkok”.

We are very grateful for the many years of support you have given us and thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.

For all enquiries, please contact me at below shown number.

Yours sincerely,

Thanadon Tibkham

Hotel Manager

The Tarntawan Surawong Bangkok

119/5-10 Surawong Rd., Suriyawong, Bangrak, Bangkok, 10500, Thailand.

M+66 (0) 89 204 9461 | T+66 (0) 2238 2620 | Ehm@tarntawansurawong.com | W:www.tarntawansurawong.com