Jasper

Immigration police raided a men’s spa in Soi Suan Phlu

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

15 Vietnamese, Myanmar, Lao and Cambodian men’s massage workers arrested on 26 June.

Is this Prince ?

http://news.ch3thailand.com/local/98249

Yes.  I read that they nabbed one guy from Myanmar, two from Cambodia, eight from Vietnam, three from Laos and one stateless man.  

I believe that it's still business as usual at Prince.  A couple of guys who in the past worked at VCK appear to have moved to Prince since the raid.  

A report I read said the raid followed a tip-off.  Would love to know the back-story.  

8 hours ago, reader said:

Maybe customers became exasperated with Prince’s  practice of adopting the 45-minute “hour.”

Yes the police are now devoting themselves to quality control for customers...maybe we should set up a tea money support group?

Boy69, I'm not the expert DivineMadman is but I suspect your right. If I know there are non Thai working in virtually every establishment then surely they do. What I never get is why making sure that young sex workers ( yes, they know that too ) are all Thai is an odd priority.

13 hours ago, reader said:

Maybe customers became exasperated with Prince’s  practice of adopting the 45-minute “hour.”

while Prince was never my first choice / I know other's may object / I don't recall being short cut on time there, old Hero was bigger sinner in that respect. But then I have a habit of visibly checking time when we enter room so I guess guys get a message perhaps

5 hours ago, paborn said:

Boy69, I'm not the expert DivineMadman is but I suspect your right. If I know there are non Thai working in virtually every establishment then surely they do. What I never get is why making sure that young sex workers ( yes, they know that too ) are all Thai is an odd priority.

I am certainly not an expert on anything to do with police or immigration raids.  We're all aware of the Immigration raids and press conferences that seem to have been a weekly (or more) phenomenon under Big Joke and now Big Oud.  I only mentioned that it was Immigration Police & press conference because the whole episode doesn't seem like the typical tea-money kerfuffle.  Also rather interesting because the rumor certainly was for years that Prince/My Hero had a high connection in the police.  Also, a bit surprising that there was no advance warning.  As we all know, the BKK go-go bars typically (but not always) get a heads up before raids.

I agree the whole thing is a bit silly.  But massage is on the list of professions reserved for Thais.  

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

while Prince was never my first choice / I know other's may object / I don't recall being short cut on time there, old Hero was bigger sinner in that respect. But then I have a habit of visibly checking time when we enter room so I guess guys get a message perhaps

Prince and VCK definitely have a well-deserved reputation for guys who try to rush the massage.  Even so, unless it's something outrageous, I encourage people not to be clock-watchers.  It's not like you're buying a dozen donuts and only got 10.  Was it a good pleasurable experience?  Then if it's 5± minutes short I usually don't mind.  I know people do care about it so I make the observation if it happens when I'm reporting on a shop, but after a half-way decent massage and rambunctious sex, who cares about the time.  (Also, to be fair, on more than one occasion things have run longer than the allotted time, and it's been my "fault.")

2 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

I am certainly not an expert on anything to do with police or immigration raids.  We're all aware of the Immigration raids and press conferences that seem to have been a weekly (or more) phenomenon under Big Joke and now Big Oud.  I only mentioned that it was Immigration Police & press conference because the whole episode doesn't seem like the typical tea-money kerfuffle.  Also rather interesting because the rumor certainly was for years that Prince/My Hero had a high connection in the police.  Also, a bit surprising that there was no advance warning.  As we all know, the BKK go-go bars typically (but not always) get a heads up before raids.

I agree the whole thing is a bit silly.  But massage is on the list of professions reserved for Thais.  

Prince and VCK definitely have a well-deserved reputation for guys who try to rush the massage.  Even so, unless it's something outrageous, I encourage people not to be clock-watchers.  It's not like you're buying a dozen donuts and only got 10.  Was it a good pleasurable experience?  Then if it's 5± minutes short I usually don't mind.  I know people do care about it so I make the observation if it happens when I'm reporting on a shop, but after a half-way decent massage and rambunctious sex, who cares about the time.  (Also, to be fair, on more than one occasion things have run longer than the allotted time, and it's been my "fault.")

Quite right. I meant that you are an expert on the massage shops. I trust you insights implicitly.

It’s probably worth viewing this through a wider lens—the political one. The nation is still experiencing the upheaval of much contested elections and it will be a while before things settle. Individuals, parties and private interests are vying for power and influence. This is nothing new in the history of Thailand, whether the change in government resulted from a coup or elections.

If you go back about 16 years, under the Thaksin regime, police staged a very well publicized raid on Babylon sauna. The media was there in force and if I recall correctly the justification was that the premises didn’t have a license to operate as a hotel. But it occurred in the larger context of a “social order” campaign. It came as a surprise to many because the owner was a quite wealthy and influential individual. Popular gay venues have always been popular locations when a point is to be made because few will rise to their defense.

It’s perhaps worth noting that the raid on Prince was publicized only in the Thai media. No English language site has reported on it to the best of my knowledge.

Similar social movements emerge periodically but particularly when a regime desires to make a point that lends legitimacy to its rule. These events can be popular among certain segments of the population while alienating others. But they all have one thing in common: things tend to regress to the norm in time-honored Thai fashion. 

Thailand—like many nations—is experiencing its own surge of nationalism. And that nationalism challenges the ASEAN ties built up over time. If history is any predictor, the needle will slowly fluctuate back to the norm, driven by economic and social factors, and of course, politics of the day.

It’s probably wise not to make too much or too little of day-to-day events in trying to discern the long-term direction of a government. Successful prior governments have proven adept at maneuvering through political minefields to keep the economy on track and the masses mollified. 

Until, of course, they don’t.

9 hours ago, paborn said:

Quite right. I meant that you are an expert on the massage shops. I trust you insights implicitly.

Hahahaha.  Was it Malcolm Gladwell or someone like that who said 10,000 hours of practice?  If so I am woefully short of the requirement to be an expert, but working on it.  

Or to the contrary, and more realistically, maybe it takes about 3 times to become an expert, so most forum members qualify.

Yes, Gladwell and I read his book years ago - now, thoroughly debunked in a new work "the Sports gene " by David Epstein. I think you have the massage gene! Your modesty is touching but you do keep the most authoritarian website in the field.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:12 PM, DivineMadman said:

I think Prince is perfectly fine for the price and level of service and facilities they offer.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, ggobkk said:

The Michelin of Massage...thanks DivineMadman

We obviously disagree but this does not make either of us authoritatively wrong.  Try it for yourself and decide.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, DivineMadman said:

Thanks for the info. Where is VCK if I may ask ?