DivineMadman

Royal Barge Procession 24 October '19

In case people haven't already seen the news, the Royal Barge Procession will be October 24.  It's the last official event of Rama X's coronation and quite a spectacular occasion.  For people interested in such things, it might be worth planning a trip to Bangkok to see.  For people who dislike the inevitable traffic and discombobulations these events inevitably cause, you are warned.    :) 

As always for such events, Richard Barrow is a great source of information.  Some preliminary dates are set, but the dates for the rehearsals are not reported yet.  Expect crowds and sometimes the rehearsals can be a better opportunity to take pictures.  Barrow has a map of potential viewing locations and a lot of other helpful information that he updates as more becomes known.  He also helpfully reminds people that the procession takes places later in the afternoon, so people on the Old-Town/Rattanokosin side of the river would be facing into (and taking photos into) the sun, so take that into account in deciding where to join the crowds to watch the procession.  Richard Barrow

It definitely will be spectacular! It is an event like no other and not to be missed. I saw a full procession with the former King. The full processions are rare events and make for an amazing afternoon.

The problem is finding a spot to see it without having to get there hours beforehand. Many hundreds of thousands will be competing for limited viewing spots. By far the best way to view it is on one of the official seating areas. A friend and I purchased seats on one site at the Admiralty not far from Wat Arun. This gave us a great view not only of the procession itself but of the Grand palace and the temple complex across the river. Not yet sure when these seats go on sale nor how much will now be charged for them. I guess somewhere around 2,000 baht.

There will also be tickets on sale for the rehearsals of which there should be at least two. These consist of all the barges but without the Royal Family present.

According to Richard Barrow’s social media account 

UPDATE: You won’t be able to watch the Royal Barge Procession from your hotel or condo room and the curtains have to be drawn from 9am-11pm on 23-24 October. In addition, guests won’t be allowed to use the swimming pool if it’s by the river. More info:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/07/everything-we-know-about-the-royal-barge-procession-in-bangkok-on-24th-october-2019/

3 hours ago, Jasper said:

UPDATE: You won’t be able to watch the Royal Barge Procession from your hotel or condo room and the curtains have to be drawn from 9am-11pm on 23-24 October. In addition, guests won’t be allowed to use the swimming pool if it’s by the river.

nation and it's visitors should be eternally grateful that somebody did not get an idea  to evacuate whole city for event, that would be a sight !

On 7/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, Jasper said:

According to Richard Barrow’s social media account 

UPDATE: You won’t be able to watch the Royal Barge Procession from your hotel or condo room and the curtains have to be drawn from 9am-11pm on 23-24 October. In addition, guests won’t be allowed to use the swimming pool if it’s by the river. More info:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/07/everything-we-know-about-the-royal-barge-procession-in-bangkok-on-24th-october-2019/

Not sure how they will enforce the curtains drawn rule. Also, many places have balconies. Do they have to be vacated as well?

I cannot believe this! There is some sort of practice that members of the public should not be in positions physically above that of a member of the Royal Family. I was once having coffee in Au Bon Pain at the top of Silom when I noticed that a small crowd was forming. A waitress came over and asked us to move away from the window. When I asked why, she hummed and hawed for a few seconds before telling us that a Princess was to be in a passing car after a few minutes and members of the public could not sit in a higher position! But in an open air Royal Barge procession on the river with people watching from the higher river banks, I fail to understand how that practice can be strictly observed. Also at concerts there are always members of the audience sitting above a Royal guest. 

10 hours ago, Michael said:

Not sure how they will enforce the curtains drawn rule. Also, many places have balconies. Do they have to be vacated as well?

I think they most certainly will.

This same rule was put in place for condo buildings that had views of the Royal Cremation Grounds during the that ceremony, also during the Coronation and it has been pretty standard operating procedure since then whenever there is an official Royal procession.  I believe that condo owners in the affected buildings have become used to it by now.  (These buildings, by the way, are not what I would consider particularly close.)

Often the "official" reason given is security concerns, I guess a fear of snipers?  But I fall into the camp that says the real reason is enforcement of the Royal prerogative.  

Fortunately these sorts of Royal-with-a-capital-"R" processions that impact condo and hotel buildings aren't all that frequent so best to view it all as a very interesting part of local culture.  For example, it does seem reasonable and respectful to me to make sure people aren't frolicking in a riverside swimming pool when such the Royal Barge Procession goes by.

But the same rules do pop up to the detriment of Bangkok traffic on a daily basis.  Quite regularly I come across police stationed at Rama IV pedestrian overpasses, which now I just know means a royal family motorcade is coming and you have to wait at street level until the motorcade passes.   I am sure it happens in other neighborhoods as well, it just seems to happen to me a lot in my neighborhood.  All this in addition to closing off intersections - even at the height of rush hour - to ensure the motorcade can pass through quickly.  

I went to Bhutan to attend the coronation of the current King and my hotel room had a wonderful view of the grounds where the post-coronation celebration would be held.  Alas, they imposed the same rule and all the curtains had to be drawn and you couldn't go near the windows.  In that particular case, however, I do believe that it was driven by security concerns.

From Khaosod English 

BANGKOK — The upcoming Royal Barge procession on Chao Phraya River was postponed by nearly two months, a government official said Thursday.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Kreangam that the ritual, which would be presided over by His Majesty the King and the Royal Family, is now set to take place on Dec. 12 instead of Oct. 24 as initially scheduled. Wissanu cited strong tides in the river as a reason for the postponement.

“The royal procession will still go ahead, and it’d still be a grand, beautiful event,” Wissanu told reporters. “But we have to consider the appropriate conditions of currents and weather.”

The announcement came just a week before the event was due to take place. The navy was also conducting a full-scale rehearsal of the procession on Chao Phraya River earlier today.

Another rehearsal scheduled for Oct. 21 will go ahead as planned, Wissanu said.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/10/17/hm-kings-royal-barge-procession-postponed/