reader

Tarntawan Hotel milestone

On 7/10/2019 at 10:32 PM, reader said:

The mattresses, that were tired when I stayed there on my first trip in 2002, are being carted out as I write.

20190710_220906.jpg

That is a good thing. I first tried to stay there in 2005 and checked out the same night because of the sagging mattresses and dilapidated room. Great location but room standard didn't work for me. I hope they remodel it. 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, martinsen said:

First hotel I stayed in when I first came to Bangkok.  Unfortunately the bed covering was filthy and I moved the next day and have never been back.

My experience also. I wonder how many customers they lost because of that 

funny thing , I stay there perhaps twice in 18 trips because I considered  hotel too expensive and too luxurious for my needs preferring Nantra Silom and the likes in vicinity.

Certainly I don't recall anything smelly nor unclean but what do I know?

I stayed there once back in 2003 but I didn't like the speed of the Internet. The hotel was fine and the location was great. But, the Internet sucked so I moved on. Now, most places have great Internet and that gives me more choices.

The internet was replaced almost yearly at Tarntawan and, for the last five years, has been as good as anywhere. Back in 2003, I suspect that it was still dial-up. I remember trying internet shops in Chiang Mai; almost impossible to get a decent connection.

The ones I've been using recently- Tarntawan, Ambiance, Agate, Amora (Chiang Mai) and Aonang Villas (Kabi)- even three hotels in Laos- have been almost as good as here in London. 

58 minutes ago, t0oL1 said:

murder in Des Moines, Iowa USA Holiday Inn. Forensics checked the bedspread finding ~250 semen stains- checked a couple of the "freshest"  stains for DNA

people of Iowa have no shame to be such prolific spenders, don't they have cheaper options to have sex in ?

Imagine the number of stress cycles on those springs, if the mattresses have done over 20 years ?      I wouldn't think they have an easy life.

38 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Are you suggesting that Americans are particularly.....um....overweight?

Where did you infer that from ?

I made no mention of Americans.  Also, overweight people will put a static load on the bed springs.   I was thinking of a more energetic cyclical loading.....^_^

19 hours ago, z909 said:

Imagine the number of stress cycles on those springs, if the mattresses have done over 20 years ?      I wouldn't think they have an easy life.

They've changed the mattresses out before......not as often as they should have, but they have.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, Londoner said:

The internet was replaced almost yearly at Tarntawan and, for the last five years, has been as good as anywhere. Back in 2003, I suspect that it was still dial-up. I remember trying internet shops in Chiang Mai; almost impossible to get a decent connection.

The ones I've been using recently- Tarntawan, Ambiance, Agate, Amora (Chiang Mai) and Aonang Villas (Kabi)- even three hotels in Laos- have been almost as good as here in London. 

Any tips for Laos?  Boy bars ? Massage ? 

2 hours ago, Archchan said:

Any tips for Laos?  Boy bars ? Massage ? 

I spent 3 weeks in Laos earlier this year.   My third visit in about 12 years.

1  Vientiane has one gay bar, which you will find on google.   Not very exciting and just a regular gay bar, not a boy bar or anything.   

2   Massage at the following location:  17.966663, 102.603075         This was absolutely delightful about 7~8 years ago.   Numerous cute lads sat outside.   One particularly fine specimen did a fine massage, naked & was ecstatic when I tipped him just under $10 (would have been more, but I had less local currency in the wallet than I thought).  The next day, he jumped out of his seat as I came back for more.   In 2019, it has a much smaller selection of larger guys, who like their food more and were proposing a 300,000 LAK tip prior to offering any hand relief.    My offer of 200,000 was accepted, but I should have probably tried less.  Boys and service vastly inferior to the previous visit.

3  Phone apps.    This is more useful in Vientiane    The first guy who contacted me offered service at 300,000 (~1000 baht).   He was too overweight for my tastes, so no deal.   When the next guy contacted me, I proposed 200,000, thinking he would haggle.    However, this was immediately accepted & 30 minutes later, he was in my hotel.   Two days later, I had a repeat with him.   

4  Some play in the Laos style herbal steam saunas is the hot tip.  Literally.   Quite good fun, although the cabins are so hot, it can limit how far things go.    These are mixed, male & female, but there are separate steam cabins for male & female.   The men tend to knock on the door before entering, knowing what goes on inside.

Some play in Vientiane.       None in Viang Vieng (which I only stopped in to break up the trip to the plain of jars).    Quite a bit in Pakse.   One day in Pakse was particularly memorable, when 4 monks turned up. Almost fantasy level.   The second youngest was quite playful & turned out to be 24, slim & cute.  On another night, a lad took me back to the hotel on his motorcycle and we had some fun in my room. 

I wouldn't go to Laos for sex.  You go there to see Laos & any evening entertainment is a bonus.     The country is very beautiful.   Vientiane also has some very nice coffee shops.   The transport can be excessively slow, so you need to cultivate patience.    Or possibly wait until the railway line is completed in a couple of years.

Hotels in northern Thailand tend to offer much better quality for less money than in Laos.   

I shall visit Laos again, but there are likely to be further visits to Cambodia (5 times so far), Burma (1),  Vietnam (1), The Philippines (1) and Bali (0) before going there again. 

We've been in Luang Prabang twice. We were travelling as a couple and so commercial sex wasn't on our menu. I suspect that, had it been, we'd have been very disappointed! In one of the hotels we stayed in, there was a letter from the police attached to the door, warning against non-marital sex; only married couples were allowed to share a room. 

Not impressed by the two hotels we used. The first was acceptable but simple. Much more expensive than similar ones in Thailand. The second was very poor...more expensive than the first and inadequate. Both were on the river side and so benefitted from offering superb views. There are some expensive 1st class places outside the city.

No problems for a gay couple but I wouldn't advise anyone seeking a Pattaya-experience to go there. Vientiane didn't seem to have much to offer. The river-front was particularly disappointing. But Luang Prabang is charming.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Vientiane didn't seem to have much to offer. The river-front was particularly disappointing. But Luang Prabang is charming.

I tend to agree.   Vientiane is OK if you fancy a couple of days sightseeing (temples etc) and for just wandering around with the odd visit to a cafe.    I had a lazy 8 days there this year.  

Luang Prabang (visited ~10 years ago) is very pleasant & some of the waterfalls out of town must be seen too.    The mountain road from Vientiane to there is very scenic, but somewhat scary and it's a long drive.   The most amazing sight on that trip was 3 tall slim lads showering naked on a cobbled up shower from a mountain stream, right next to the road.   Modesty protected by facing away from the road & certainly tall enough to be of age. 

Waiting for the railway line to be finished before visiting seems like a reasonable strategy, although of course this may bring in more tourists from China and Thailand.

the only time I stayed there the bed was hard as a rock. And I agree the internet sucked. And the bathroom was a mess.

I also found the breakfast time to be very sad...all of those Thai boys and their older friends dining in total silence because they couldn't communicate.

2 hours ago, manuelmendez said:

hi. may i know the renovation status of the hotel? is it done? when i try check and book hotel, via online, it still valid to book hotel... i afraid when i come there, the hotel is not yet ready to stay... 

If places like Agoda or Expedia are taking bookings I'd not be reluctant to book but if you still are perhaps you can fire an e-mail to the hotel just to make sure

When I left BKK two weeks ago, work was still going on. But it certainly appeared to be all-hands-on-deck. From what I could gather, the major refurbishments are new bedding and installation of manufactured wood floors, both of which can be accomplished relatively quickly.

The new water storage tank had been installed and the driveway was ready for resurfacing.

Wouldn't be surprised if they spruced the rooms up with new towels and linens but I'm just guessing on that count.

The hotel is just a five-minute walk from Patpong.