TotallyOz

Gay dating app Scruff buys competitor Jack’d

Jack'D was quite good when I first started using it, several years ago.     Lots of nice lads and good functionality.

Then it went through a period where the app didn't work properly & most of the users left.

Currently, I think the app itself is way better than Grindr or Hornet, but of course we have to go where the boys are, which isn't Jack'D.

Jack'D has much more functionality in the free version and the advertising is less obtrusive than Grindr & Hornet.

In Bangkok I find Blued the most active. Lots more Thais are using it and seem especially to like its instant translation feature. Quite a number of young gay tourists from China are also using it to try and hook up with guys here. So far as my experience goes, these are in no way money boys.

The one issue I have with Blued is that it opens the door to your profile also being seen by tens of millions in China. If there is a way of blocking that I have not yet found it. Sometimes it is flattering to be hit on by a very cute Chinese youngster but when the chances of actually meeting up are virtually zero, what is the point? The Chinese/English translation is also instant.