t0oL1

AmEx credit card

Just arrived last night in BKK to find out my American Express chip card not accepted or my Mastercard bank card not working(need to ask security code).

Any place BKK/Pattaya that would take American Express for cash advance? Boys/bars/taxis ane expensive and otherwise have to budget entire trp under $150/day. Lucky I prepaid hotel in Pattaya therough Agoda and certainly can't depend on bar boy friend to have 30000 Bt laying around for me to spend.

Does your Mastercard double as an ATM card? Try making a withdrawal at an ATM. Charges apply. You can withdraw up to 20,000Bt at a time I think.

Alternatively, go into the bank and ask if you can make an over-the-counter cash withdrawal using your Mastercard. The big three Thai banks are Bangkok Bank (blue theme), Siam Commercial (purple theme) and Kasikorn (green theme). The Bangkok Bank head office is in Silom Road.

Also see if American Express Thailand is able to help you. Their office is in Phahonyothin. 

https://www.americanexpress.com/th/e...ctingus.shtml/

Good luck!

thank you 

7 hours ago, t0oL1 said:

Just arrived last night in BKK to find out my American Express chip card not accepted or my Mastercard bank card not working(need to ask security code).

thank you for the warning  and hope others will learn from your misfortune.

Lesson coming from that is  don't relay on plastic money  only and have stash of cash on you wherever you travel. Cars are getting rejected by machines and terminals but people always accept cash.

Reminds me my trip last year where I left my cards at home by neglect. Fortunately I followed my own advice above so fun was not undiminished and it turned out I had friend in BKK at the same time who was able to help me without asking any questions.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

but people always accept cash.

certainly true in Thailand (relevant to this forum and thread) but just for completeness I want to point out that it is NOT true in Sweden. many places there do not accept cash anymore at all. That includes restaurants and bars!

47 minutes ago, anddy said:

....... I want to point out that it is NOT true in Sweden. many places there do not accept cash anymore at all. That includes restaurants and bars!

but who wants to visits place where  hiring moneyboy or lady of the night is a criminal offence.

Readers are warned on both accounts, cash and fun

Travelling abroad is always better with some careful preparation.    For finances, my list includes:

1    Taking a substantial sum of cash which is converted into baht at the best rate I can find.   Most is paid into my Thai bank account.

2   Take Thai bank card AND passbook.

3   Take 2 credit cards.   Preferably selected to have 0% forex load, rather than the UK normal 3%

4   Take ATM cards for 2 current accounts.     One of which has a 0% forex load.

5   Where required, I logon to the bank website and advise them of my travel plans.

Also, I have a packing checklist on my PC.    This gets printed out and attached to a clip board.    As each item gets packed, it gets ticked off.    The super critical items like passport, tickets, glasses, contact lenses & ATM cards are at the top of the list & get checked 3 times.

After each holiday, the checklist gets updated.  Generally removing all the **** I didn't use.     I also check the ATM card expiry dates 1 month before travel.

This might be a bit too anal, but if going abroad for 1~2 months,  it is way better than running out of money.   Also, it kind of reduces stress.

Of course, all of the above is in the category of "what to do next time".

As a constructive suggestion for your current trip,  try opening an account at a Thai bank.      If the first one says no, try several others, including different branches of the same bank.   If you get your account & ATM card, make sure you know the IBAN and all that.      Then transfer some money from your home country to the new account.  I suggest you use Transferwise if available, as I heard it's next-day service to Thailand   (is only same day ~30 minutes to Singapore).   

If all that fails AND your hotels are prepaid, $150 per day should not be too much of a hardship -just downgrade some nights from gogo bar visits to Grindr.

Was worried for little reason. Brought a little more cash than usual but you know what the first night or so in Bangkok is like spending curve. Then nervous for no reason about Agoda hotel LCR prepaid paper. LCR didn’t even ask to swipe my card. Monday was holiday still my birthday and the Kings so couldn’t go to bank. Did see a green ATM on Patpong and got less than my USA small limit but that made me feel good. At home I remember having dreams about arriving in Pats with no cash. Actually bring some cash back from vacation usually.