AlexThompson

Some reviews from my July Bangkok trip

Great review.

I agree that being in the thick of action / Glitz / is more important that distant luxuries but it's me, others may have different priorities.

Based on your review I made firm resolve to finally utilize Glitz , Prime and Magic Touch and return to VCK / Chakran massage / whenever I'm in BKK next time , thank you.

That 'probably hottest guys I've seen in the city ' statement says it all.

15 hours ago, AlexThompson said:

Glitz Hotel
I needed something quick after moving out of Tarntawan and booked Glitz sight unseen.  It's more like a hostel.  Pros: Close to the action, right next door to Tawan.  Cheap.  No drama bringing guests back.  So close to Prime Massage.  Cons: No elevator.  Sparse rooms.  I would stay here again if others were sold out.  It's fun being in the thick of things.

Thanks for the review on this hotel.    Was there a room safe & how was the cleanliness ?    Also, any issues with road noise ?

What worries me is the Booking.com review score is 6.6.     This is quite poor, if we correct this for the current inflated way of calculating review scores on booking.com.   A hotel would have to resemble a gulag and be in a terrible location to get something like 4 out of 10.   

[To put it in perspective, The Nantra averages 6.7.   They don't clean that properly, the plumbing doesn't work and the bathrooms need a complete refit.   I believe there are several board members not planning to return there.    Perhaps the Nantra score would be lower if we calculated over the last 2 years ?]

The Le Siam looks good, but a tad more expensive.    If some members can advise me how to pep up my stock portfolio performance in the next couple of years, I might just try it.:money: [<==Irritating emoji] 

I stayed 4 years ago at the Glitz they just finished complete renovation of the property and my stay there was fine there is in room safe . sometimes the hot water at bathroom was gone and the noise from the street can be an issue .I understood since than they don't maintain the property well and their service rolled down so I don't think I will return, However the location is superb at the centre of everything you need.

My next trip will stay probably at the Le Siam or at Furama.

2 hours ago, AlexThompson said:

I think the people on TripAdvisor are straight, high-maintenance Americans who are used to staying at Courtyard by Marriotts.  Don't believe the hype. 

that is the reason I pay very little attention to all those anonymous / for me / reviews on the internet.

Sometimes for fun I read reviews of places I know quite well and what I read is not what I recall.

But I consider trustworthy of what our contributors are saying here

I've stayed in just about every AirBnb on Silom soi 3. Ranging from £30 per night to £80. Its a much better experience for stays more than 3 nights. Silom Lofts and Baan Pipat are the best.

Quad Suites next to Holiday Inn Express are dark and dismal. Klaas Silom Condo are very small, but modern. Best value has been the slightly shabby "penthouse" on the top of The Oasis.

The problem with Glitz is that their website and in other booking sites the pictures of their rooms can be misleading it looks like luxurious boutique hotel but actually it's not this is why I guess many visitors are disappointed and giving bad reviews ,

However as other mentioned for its price the Glitz is not a bad option at all if all you need is a reasonable clean room and prime location.

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

I’m the type who when checking review sites looks for the really negative reviews.  They can be revealing...sometimes, one person’s dislikes can be exactly what I’m looking for.  

I have learnt to do that as well.     Mainly since my last trip to Singapore, when I booked in a "Hotel 81" in Chinatown, thinking this looks like an Ibis style chain & should be safe.    However, they also rented rooms out by the hour and the noise made sleeping difficult.

The other important thing is to check for fake reviews.    I

10 hours ago, z909 said:

I have learnt to do that as well.     Mainly since my last trip to Singapore, when I booked in a "Hotel 81" in Chinatown, thinking this looks like an Ibis style chain & should be safe.    However, they also rented rooms out by the hour and the noise made sleeping difficult.

at least we know now there's no problem with visitors there

On 7/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, AlexThompson said:

I spent two long weekends in Bangkok this month and has a blast, per usual.  I have received so much guidance from you gents over the years, and wanted to share some of my own experiences...

HOTELS

Le Siam Hotel https://www.lesiamhotel.com/
I love this little hotel.  Great location - next to Silom Complex and just five minutes from the main action.  Amazing food on the street outside the hotel.  Clean, comfortable rooms.  No issues with guests.  Amazing breakfast.  My new favorite!

We have to go up to Bangkok early September to try and get a US Tourist visa for my partner.
This hotel looks pretty near the Embassy
Thanks for the recommendation

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, AlexThompson said:
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, AlexThompson said:

Probably the hottest guys I have seen in the city.

This reinforced my impression towards the place. Not sure if I could say the hottest guys in the whole city, but a massage shop with the most hottest guys compared to 3 other shops I'd been (Prince, Arena and my Hero). I remember that the cutest guy of my last trip was a masseur from V club.

12 hours ago, vinapu said:

absolutely, just enough is to recall perennial discussions about merits of twinks vs.hunks or how off putting or sexy tattoos  are.

Batting a thousand. If reading a review, even on Amazon, I check the person's other reviews to see if they have reviewed  a product I know. It's surprising how often negative reviews are from people whose hobby appears to be complaining.

hunks/twinks/tattoos/no tattoos and the endless discussions about the Tarntawan.

Le Siam should be well known to many here, it is the former Swiss Lodge on Convent / corner of Saladaeng Soi 2 (where there was a large 7/11 on the other corner, now a construction site)

The Siam on the river, not too far from former Dusit Zoo, is a VERY nice, very expensive 5-star Hotel with some exquisite artwork and antiques in the lobby areas. Been there a couple of times for afternoon tea.

22 hours ago, paborn said:

If reading a review, even on Amazon, I check the person's other reviews to see if they have reviewed  a product I know. It's surprising how often negative reviews are from people whose hobby appears to be complaining.

I also read the text of the reviews & sometimes their other reviews, particularly if the reviews are important (e.g. trying a different hotel, or buying some "unknown" electronic appliance).

Example review abuse includes:

1    Some wireless earphones on Amazon with over 250 reviews, all 5 star and all by "Amazon Customer", not real people with names and other reviews.  With that sample size, there should be many "named" reviewers.     I only take any note of reviews by real people, with names and a proper range of reviews on other diverse products.

2   Other wireless earphones on Amazon, with about 50 5 star reviews, but the review text is full of reviews on clothing, knives and anything except the product.

I complained to Amazon about both of the above cases & nothing was done.    After delivering outstanding service for years, Amazon are slipping just a touch. 

3     A terrible hotel in Istabnul which had one 5 star review on Trip Advisor.   The reviewer showed his photo & he was the guy working in reception.   He had one other review - a zero star review of a nearby hotel.     I reported this and the reviews were deleted.

4   Beware of poor hotels with an abnormal review distribution.    The low scoring bad reviews with real customers and a few 100% score fake reviews stuffed in to push up their score.

There are, of course, the persistent complainers.     Some of whom are on the forums (& one of whom seems to dislike almost every gay bar in Thailand).

2 hours ago, z909 said:

I also read the text of the reviews & sometimes their other reviews, particularly if the reviews are important (e.g. trying a different hotel, or buying some "unknown" electronic appliance).

for reasons you outlined above , as i mentioned many times before , while I read review sometimes just for fun I'm not influenced by them at all unless they are coming from people I know at least just a bit / like people who are contributing here on the forum or other 2 Thai gay fora which I read more or less regularly / 

On 8/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, vinapu said:

for reasons you outlined above , as i mentioned many times before , while I read review sometimes just for fun I'm not influenced by them at all unless they are coming from people I know at least just a bit / like people who are contributing here on the forum or other 2 Thai gay fora which I read more or less regularly / 

When I go somewhere for the first time, I'm either booking a hotel "blind" or relying on customer reviews.   As long as I filter out the obvious fraudulent reviews, this method is often helpful.   Particularly on Trip Advisor  if the reviewer resembles a real traveller  -ie has numerous published reviews for different hotels in different locations, then I am more inclined to trust them.    Also, the standard of English might match their profile.