reader

Khao San rd. to get facelift

From the Bangkok Post

Known for decades among tourists worldwide as "fun, wild and rowdy", Khao San Road, which is set to have a major makeover, has never enjoyed the status of being a "real" walking street. This, however, is about to change.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will spend 48.8 million baht to give a 400 metre stretch of the road a major facelift with the intention of lifting transforming this popular backpacking hub into an international walking street.

The revamp is expected to start this October and finish in February.

The project has been welcomed by all stakeholders. Of course, Khao San is known as a tourism magnet, but its unique vibe is also an attraction for local residents.

Continues at

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/1724247/cleaning-up-khao-san#cxrecs_s

while I agree that Khao San is a tourist magnet I always wonder what is the pull of the place other then desire of young travelers to  be in a company of their own kind.

Like people are traveling all the way from say , Germany or USA to meet other Germans / Americans .

Very little local color , no prime attraction nearby, inconvenient to get to and not very attractive part of town , honestly I'd be happy if somebody explained what is the reason for a place being such magnet

There are prime attractions nearby the King Palace, nearby important temples and the national measium short walking from Khao San road apart from that I don't find any reason why it is so popular the accomodation is expensive for the low quality it provide, garbage and pollution everywhere after midnight(the biggest rats and cockroaches I ever saw in my life), masses of unfriendly young backpackers and not convenient location far away from the major attractions of Bangkok. I stayed there at my first visits to Thailand .my last visit there was 4 years ago and I was shocked from what I see completely medness that went out of control. I doubt will ever come back. Silom-Surawong is the best area for me great nightlife near to the major shopping malls and very convenient location can get you everywhere by the BTS .

It’s part of the banana pancake trail. It attracts the sort of (young) people who want to meet other foreigners who are travelling. They are not interested in the country they visit nor the local people.  Reminds me of the hippie trail I was on in the seventies. 

12 hours ago, Uranus said:

They are not interested in the country they visit nor the local people.  

I disagree.  When traveling SE Asia out in the countryside I find the young backpackers taking in the same cultural sights and experiences as I or the other travelers do, and often even more adventurous.  Sure they like to find nice beaches, bars and waterfalls.  Good for them.  Also worth remembering the extraordinary (good) work of the backpackers after the tsunami in '04.  

As far as Khao San Rd is concerned - people are having fun.  I don't see the problem.  And young Thais also do go there, including super sweetheart Jack (formerly of Maxi's) and his young THAI friends.

No, you were too early, Since at least 1 yr now the carts & all that are only allowed in after 15/16.00. But the works seem to be done quite rigorously and the whole streetsurface gets rebuilt, incl all the pipes etc. Was intended to be finished before the infamous Songkran water-wars, but these are said to have been cancelled.

The magic of KSR for young bekpekkers were also the said to be thousands of nice&willing Thai girls for interracial meetings. An awful long time ago (probably still <2000 and the beach) there was even a small gay such scene. Its fading glory is also speeded up by the new generation not reading guidebooks anymore and the ready supply of 1000s of assumed cheap hoStels now about anywhere in BKK listed on the well known booking sites. In the past you had to go there for cheap beds.

Much better food&entertainmant however can be had in the side streets, Rambuttree and its continuation ´hlang wat´=behind the wat. KSR is more deafening loud music and emptying green big bottles of Chang.