spoon

Asking advice from Americans in the forum

Hi all. Turns out ill have a business trip to US soon, and will be extending my stay for a week to explore. Already decided to spend at least 2 days in NYC but have 4-5 days left and im am lookibg for options. I have stayed in the states before and have travelled to most places that is basically where most people will go as a tourist there. Ive narrowed down to few places that ive never been to, florida keys, or boston (or any of the new england cities). Anyone can pitch in which of these will be good for a solo traveller? Or have other suggestions?

Boston could be nice for a day or two.  It's a nice small manageable city.  Some interesting historical walks you can take showing famous places in the history of the fight to overthrow the cruel British tyrannical overlords.  I especially like to go to the tavern where, they say, the Revolution began because a British soldier failed to tip a tavern maid. ;)

Boston is nice, but you might find it a tad boring?  Highly recommend Provincetown.  Lots of ways to get there, including a ferry to/fro Boston.  It's a quaint-ish old New England town that is just chock full of the gays.  Very fun.  You go there and relax for a few days.  Lobster salad sandwiches by the harbor.  Very open and welcoming gay scene.  

If you really want to get your gay on, you could go to Fire Island.  You can get there by train from NYC.   Fire Island Pines for glamour and pretty boys.  Cherry Grove for less elitist gays and more lesbians.  I don't know about hotel availability.  Expect they would be expensive.  You spend half your time on the beach, half your time tracking down an Ecstasy connection and the remaining half of your time dancing and fucking like a bunny.  (Yes three halves, because, as everyone knows, time slows down on MDMA.)

People really love Philadelphia (and you can get there by train from NYC).  

The Maine shore is lovely, to drive along.  As a gay you would be required to visit Ogonquit harbor.  But unless you want soulful selfies of yourself with ocean waves crashing along the rocky shore in the background, not sure all that interesting.

If you like entertainment, nowhere beats Las Vegas - not even Broadway. I dont mean the gaming tables but the absolutely stunning shows by Cirque du Soleil. These permanent shows in specially built theatres in hotels are nothing like the touring shows that have sometimes come to Asia. In fact they are vastly bigger, technically amazing and the best entertainment you will ever see. 'O' at the Bellagio. 'Ka' with its vertical fight at the MGM Grand, 'Love' (to the digitally remastered  surround sound music of The Beatles) are absolute must sees. There is also one to Michael Jacksons songs called 'One' at the Mandalay Bay.  You can book tickets on line. You can even take in two shows in one evening. Hotels can be pretty inexpensive and eating is also cheap and very good. Youll have to put up with crowds but it is still a place that will stay in your memory. If you are not returning via the Pacific, you can probably still get a good price on a return ticket to Las Vegas from New York.

There is also an amazing show at Wynns by the original creator of some of Cirque du Soleil shows, Le Reve. It is a circular water based show - so dont sit in the front rows!

And of course there is the free fountain shows at the Bellagio between 3pm and 8pm.

If you are a bit flush, book a helicopter tour over the Hoover dam and actually into the Grand Canyon with a glass or two of champagne when you touch down in the Canyon. Make sure you have your camera with you. If not, there are plenty of coach tours.

15 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

Highly recommend Provincetown.  Lots of ways to get there, including a ferry to/fro Boston.  It's a quaint-ish old New England town that is just chock full of the gays.  Very fun.  You go there and relax for a few days.  Lobster salad sandwiches by the harbor.  Very open and welcoming gay scene.  

If you really want to get your gay on, you could go to Fire Island.  You can get there by train from NYC.   Fire Island Pines for glamour and pretty boys.  Cherry Grove for less elitist gays and more lesbians.  I don't know about hotel availability.  Expect they would be expensive.  You spend half your time on the beach, half your time tracking down an Ecstasy connection and the remaining half of your time dancing and fucking like a bunny.  (Yes three halves, because, as everyone knows, time slows down on MDMA.)

Thanks a lot for highlighting these two places, which was not in my radar at all. I feel like i can easily cover nyc, fire island, boston and province town to fill the week lol. 

11 hours ago, PeterRS said:

If you like entertainment, nowhere beats Las Vegas - not even Broadway. I dont mean the gaming tables but the absolutely stunning shows by Cirque du Soleil. These permanent shows in specially built theatres in hotels are nothing like the touring shows that have sometimes come to Asia. In fact they are vastly bigger, technically amazing and the best entertainment you will ever see. 'O' at the Bellagio. 'Ka' with its vertical fight at the MGM Grand, 'Love' (to the digitally remastered  surround sound music of The Beatles) are absolute must sees. There is also one to Michael Jacksons songs called 'One' at the Mandalay Bay.  You can book tickets on line. You can even take in two shows in one evening. Hotels can be pretty inexpensive and eating is also cheap and very good. Youll have to put up with crowds but it is still a place that will stay in your memory.

If you are a bit flush, book a helicopter tour over the Hoover dam and actually into the Grand Canyon with a glass or two of champagne when you touch down in the Canyon. Make sure you have your camera with you. If not, there are plenty of coach tours.

Thanks for highlighting all the shows in vegas. Ive been to vegas 2-3 times and ventured to grand canyon and hoover dam as well before. But i was never much of a show guy before since those visits were during my univerisity years hehe, and most interesting shows for me at that time were more of shows like blue man's group and chippendales lol