reader

'Deep tissue' massage

1 hour ago, reader said:

The September issue of Consumer Reports Health Letter ......

It's a subscription-only newsletter. You can't link to it. I read the hard copy this morning at the library.

A quick Google search turned up many links regarding massage therapy and medications. This table covers some of them.

image.png.42cdd3fd55b33331c429bb96c995c3b3.png

Links of interest:

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/massage-therapy-implications-for-pharmaceutical-care

https://www.amtamassage.org/articles/3/MTJ/detail/3051/massage-medication

Once we get past 60, the chances we’re on one or multiple meds is not uncommon. But when you look at the “side effects” information you don’t see any anything regarding how your meds may influence your massage experience.

That’s why I cited the Consumer Reports Health Letter advisory and posted related links. My intention was to increase awareness but certainly not discourage the practice that  I so much personally enjoy (as evidenced by my previous posts on the topic).

After reading the links I was encouraged to learn that there a very few instances where individuals are advised to forego a massage altogether. In the vast majority of cases, only a change in massage technique is recommended.

Here’s a few examples from the link that provides suggestions for those giving the massage:

“During massage, especially toward the end of the session, use strokes that are faster and more stimulating. However, avoid deep tissue work if your client is experiencing numbness or tingling.”

“Remember, too, to use great care when employing deep tissue massage and strokes like pertrissage, friction and compression when high blood pressure, blood clotting, bruising, or muscle or tissue weakness are a potential problem. Here, massage therapists may want to rely more on Swedish massage and gentle strokes, such as rhythmic effleurage and rocking.”

Personally, I like to spend a few moments talking with my massage guy about my preferences (i.e., nit noi oil). If I was taking a med that can be affected by massage, this would be the time to give him any additional instructions.

I probably average a massage at least every other day on my LOS trips. Like everyone else here, I want each one to end happily for both myself and my masseur.