t0oL1

sending money

3 hours ago, abidismaili said:

Ok.

You do wonder if the mail man knows it. Anyone has experience in Thailand with orders from webshops? Do they make it to your local address in time? Or the mail man also has totally no idea about street names, soi names, house numbers?

I am not trying to be argumentative.  However, the boys that we--me, anyway--meet are aware of the physical location of where they live but they don't acquire possessions on line. I've accompanied my regular guy to two locations when he's shopping for things  to send home. The most popular place is, hands down, the Big C. It is extremely popular with Chinese and Vietnamese patrons who stock up on a wide range of products that are (1) cheaper and (2) better quality than they can purchase in their home countries. 

If they're looking for tools or hardware, it's Home Pro.

Guys who live in Thailand (unless your talking middle class or hi-so) probably do the same.

11 hours ago, abidismaili said:

No. Netherlands 

As  Reader points out, many of the lads don't know the actual address where they live. And even the website of my condo does not provide an address.

Everyone I know living here has a slightly different take on the actual address. But saying that, even a letter with just the recipients name, condo name and the street does get delivered even if from abroad.

As for local deliveries, such as food, pizza, etc, they seem to rely on GPS coordinates and do get delivered.

46 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

As  Reader points out, many of the lads don't know the actual address where they live. And even the website of my condo does not provide an address.

Everyone I know living here has a slightly different take on the actual address. But saying that, even a letter with just the recipients name, condo name and the street does get delivered even if from abroad.

As for local deliveries, such as food, pizza, etc, they seem to rely on GPS coordinates and do get delivered.

Ok thanks. So I assume it works like this. When you enter the condo there is a wall of mailboxes (for each apartment one). With on each mailbox the name. If the leter is for person J. Johnson the mail man looks for that name. If there are 40 apartements in the condo and the 40th mail box if for J. Johnson then the mail man has first scanned the first 39 and because he has bad luck finally on the 40th box he sees there is the same name as on the letter.

That is why it is much more efficient to have house numbers/apartment numbers which are part of the address. The numbers are listed on the mail boxes in numerical order. If the mail man sees on the letter number 12 he can in half a second spot the correct mail box. But since people have no idea about their house number or anything of their address besides maybe only a street name, this more efficient way doesnt work in Thailand.

If I was in Thai government I would device a new system to assign addresses, this can't go on like this. In the near future so much will happen online, with online orders. There are not many countries in the world where it is so complex that people have no idea about their own address. 

How was this done before e-mail? Say your insurance company needs to send you a letter, or the government needs to send you a letter that you have to go to the army because you are now 18, then the government needs to know the addresses of their citizens. How can this possibly have worked if people don't know their address?

4 hours ago, abidismaili said:

If I was in Thai government I would device a new system to assign addresses, this can't go on like this.

Agree. You would be doing the people of Thailand a great service if you send your suggestion to the office of the Bangkok City Administration (sorry I don't have the address). Changes in procedures to make the country run more efficiently are welcomed warmly and acted upon quickly, especially if they originate with a farang.

My question is serious. I fail to see how a country can function if citizens don't know their address. How was it done before the email age? When a lot of communication between companies and clients and between government and citizens went via plain old paper mail.  I am sure we all agree you need to know and be aware of addresses then. Else these letters don't arrive. You need them to be able to communicate your address. 

Not to worry. Staffed by farang volunteers, a special window dedicated to undeliverable mail is now available at the Bangkok central post. In the event you are unaware of your actual street address (as is so often the case), the volunteers will ask you for the name of the nearest massage shop and then conduct a Google Earth search. Tips are not accepted but names of particularly good masseurs are appreciated.

Please note that this service is only available to foreigners. Locals have already figured this out for themselves.

image.png.6e3bc308ae8ac5fbe65f89f26348a305.png

2 hours ago, abidismaili said:

My question is serious. I fail to see how a country can function if citizens don't know their address. How was it done before the email age? When a lot of communication between companies and clients and between government and citizens went via plain old paper mail.  I am sure we all agree you need to know and be aware of addresses then. Else these letters don't arrive. You need them to be able to communicate your address. 

abidismaili,

They are trolling you.

I have visited gogo boys’ apartment a few times, very local Thai only apartment block with rental fee from 3000 - 8000 baht per month.

They receive postal mails at their rooms.

Each apartment has room number written at the door. I don’t know if apartment care taker delivers to their each letter box rather than postman.

I have also bought gym equipments for gogo boy and he wrote his apartment address when asked by the shop assistant where to deliver. The delivery company called 30 min. before and delivered & installed the equipment on time. 

A Jupiter boy has once told me he bought a fake gold chain on internet for 200 baht, so even gogo boys do shop online. lol

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

I have also bought gym equipments for gogo boy and he wrote his apartment address when asked by the shop assistant where to deliver. The delivery company called 30 min. before and delivered & installed the equipment on time. 

A Jupiter boy has once told me he bought a fake gold chain on internet for 200 baht, so even gogo boys do shop online. lol

I think the gogo boy was much wiser to do his shopping with a friend at the brick and mortar outlet than the Jupiter boy who relied solely on the internet.

When I first visited Thailand the Boys did not have mobile telephones and email was not generally used. I used old fashioned mail from the UK to communicate with a boy I wanted  to meet up with again. He wrote on a several envelopes, his address in Isaan in Thai Script and I just added THAILAND. He received the letters either in Isaan or in Pattaya, having been forwarded by his family. I was warned not to enclose money as postal workers were aware that farangs did this. In this way I was able to meet up with him during a subsequent trip.

10 hours ago, Jasper said:
10 hours ago, Jasper said:

abidismaili,

They are trolling you.

No, Jasper, I am not trolling abidismaili!  He , abidismaili, keeps posting more and more inane questions on the same topic. It is not possible to satisfy him. As such,  I will no longer respond to his posts.  I believe Reader understands, if no one else.

Do you recall his post on the Silicone Dicks?  He wanted to know if the boy cut off his penis and then attached one made of silicone!

Get real!!!

Here the Thai address format from the international postal union

Very easy system. There is logic in it. Notice that a city name is not needed in the address at all. Just district name and sub district name. That explains why many addresses in Pattaya dont have the name "Pattaya" listed at all. In most other countries the format is: street + number, postal code, city. Not in Thailand. City can be omitted.

thai addresses.JPG

33 minutes ago, abidismaili said:

Here the Thai address format from the international postal union

Very easy system. There is logic in it. Notice that a city name is not needed in the address at all. Just district name and sub district name. That explains why many addresses in Pattaya dont have the name "Pattaya" listed at all. In most other countries the format is: street + number, postal code, city. Not in Thailand. City can be omitted.

Have you still not realised that Thai logic is totally different from western logic? Thailand has evolved over the decades with its own system. That foreigners might not understand it matters nothing to them.

Please realise that Thailand is not alone when it comes to addresses. Have you looked at Japan?  Ill bet you would have difficulty with this address

Tokyo 153-9951, Meguro, Kamimeguro,  2-16-13, Risonanakameguro Building, Bon Mark Co. Ltd.

Can you understand that? Could you find the address? Almost certainly not, unless you have spent some time in Japan or are a regular visitor. For a start it is back to front to western eyes. Then there is no street name, no discernible building number on the street and no district name. But all Japanese understand it as does the mail man.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Have you still not realised that Thai logic is totally different from western logic? Thailand has evolved over the decades with its own system. That foreigners might not understand it matters nothing to them.

Please realise that Thailand is not alone when it comes to addresses. Have you looked at Japan?  Ill bet you would have difficulty with this address

Tokyo 153-9951, Meguro, Kamimeguro,  2-16-13, Risonanakameguro Building, Bon Mark Co. Ltd.

Can you understand that? Could you find the address? Almost certainly not, unless you have spent some time in Japan or are a regular visitor. For a start it is back to front to western eyes. Then there is no street name, no discernible building number on the street and no district name. But all Japanese understand it as does the mail man.

Here Japan's address format explained. I go read it, see if it makes some logical sense.

Japan address format.JPG

19 hours ago, abidismaili said:

I fail to see how a country can function if citizens don't know their address. How was it done before the email age?

Others have answered the rest of this, seriously and otherwise, but here are several possible answers, also of varying degrees of seriousness, depending on nation, culture and century:

1) Mail was not delivered, people collected it from the post office. See "Poste Restante".

2) In smaller communities, the postman knew where everyone lived (not the address as such, just how to get to the house in question).

3) Only the rich could afford the post, and everyone knew where they lived.

4) In feudally-structured societies, the overlord extracted taxes and raised armies from his underlings in exchange for not killing them. His tax-gatherers knew exactly where they lived. There was no "government" or "citizen" and hence no need for them to communicate.

sent money to his bank account a week ago.

the bank still hasn't given it to his account

. I ask if I send again will they make him wait again?

His reply- "crystal".

I don't understand.

I reply- "crystal ball?"

no reply.

Apparently Western Union (phone app) doesn't take American Express...

Update: he completed registration to PayPal- now no $30 fee to send money.

sent money

Update 2: he has to wait 21 days for PayPal money

I recently sent cash to Vietnam via Western Union. I had never used the company before. I was amazed how easy and fast it was. I paid cash plus a 350 baht fee. All they needed was the full name of the beneficiary and for him to show any Western Union office in the country a copy of the receipt which I sent to him by phone. The money was available within less than an hour!  I was amazed! When I had tried to send money before through HSBC in another country, it needed his name, address, phone number, date of birth, name of bank, bank account, branch address and Swift Code! Then it would take about 36 hours to be received because it had to be routed via Hanoi. And the transfer fee was a lot higher. Ridiculous!

I wonder how abidismaili is getting on with the Japanese address system.

Abidismaili (a nick name by the way, also I am not Arabic or Muslim, but ethnic Dutch) has posted the Japanese address system in this thread. Taken from postal Union website. And I admit it's different then other countries, but there is a system in it. But it looks indeed to be most likely the most difficult in the world in the sense of finding the location. Certainly if you don't speak or read Japanese. Then a street name and number system is more easy. 

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I recently sent cash to Vietnam via Western Union. I had never used the company before. I was amazed how easy and fast it was. I paid cash plus a 350 baht fee. All they needed was the full name of the beneficiary and for him to show any Western Union office in the country a copy of the receipt which I sent to him by phone.

As you wrote, Peter, sending money via Western Union is quite simple. A friend sent money yesterday to Cambodia by WU and all done very rapidly.