vinapu

Chasing dreams and illusions - report of August 2019 trip

5 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Lucky you by doing so you prevented international diplomatic crisis with fainted cleaning Thai lady once received few thousand baht from you:p

been there , done that.

Siem Reap , year 2001. On my last day in the bookstore I'm checking interesting and well illustrated book about the temples. Cost 35 USD , I was about to buy it but some helpful s customers whispers that in airport they have the same for 25 $. Next day I'm flying out so put aside shiny 100 000 riels note / about 25 $ / and about 20000  riels just in case in small denominations. Then as now riels and dollars were fully interchangeable in the country at rate 4000 : 1 so you can pay in either or blend i.e.  10 $ shirt can be had for 6 $ and 16000 riels .

Next day I see book in the airport and price is indeed 25 $ so I pull my 100 000  but no, merchandise in airport past the controls can be purchased using USD only so 120 000 riels is landing indeed in the toilet attendant hands. Those days riels were unusable in Bkk, even now only few exchanges are buying them and only big denomination 50 and 100 grand.  

NO,  she did not faint, my guess is that those things are happening in airports and borders fairly regularly, after all what one will do in his country with unspent ngultrum, guarani or togrog?  

Only option is to put in on e-bay for collectors or future travellers to that country. By the way before my last trip I bought in such way 940 baht at 20% discount to actual exchange rate even after shipping costs were accounted for. So check e-bay, you may be surprised.

Generally when leaving Thailand I try not to have substantial leftovers , if I do I usually exchange them back in the airport, discount is surprisingly reasonable . Lesser amounts I spent in airport shops (pharmacy has  prices not inflated for the airport ) and coin change indeed I hand over to cleaner. 

This departure  I had very little spare time due to lines at passport control so took money with me. I know somebody who is going to BKK in October and 4490 baht should buy 2 Short Times  with soi Cowboy girls. 

Wonder which boys you would take from lucky boys? I had a hard time finding one, since the one boy i had off before (uses to work in a diff bar) was taken already. Thanks for the report! As always, worth reading more than once. I too rate our outings to mahanakon and thereafter one of the highlight of my very short trip. 

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

Whether fully dressed or absolutely not it was fun to be with him and still not even once he asked for anything.

I owe to them one of best times I had in Thailand ever .

This is exactly what I like  and what I’m going to Thailand for .

Those takeaways say it all. You were a very lucky guy. Many thanks for allowing us to accompany you.

6 hours ago, spoon said:

Wonder which boys you would take from lucky boys? I had a hard time finding one, since the one boy i had off before (uses to work in a diff bar) was taken already. Thanks for the report! As always, worth reading more than once. I too rate our outings to mahanakon and thereafter one of the highlight of my very short trip. 

when I was there there were few Id'take, one was even tried to get my attention and at least landed red note. And of course that boy you mention who as well was absent what I was there. Now I got word that guy I was interested in another bar works as waiter there. So like in every bar , even if hunks are missing there's usually somebody I'd take. It's why I like to check every bar although I understand those who skip certain venues by definition. I guess their loss ( and  a financial gain by saving on drinks). 

3 hours ago, traveller123 said:

Vinapu it must take you quite some time to write your wonderful reports.

They are much appreciated.

Enjoy your time back in your home country until it is time to do your bit once again for the good name of Farangs in Thailand

Thank you, good that you noticed. Yes it's kind of time consuming but retracing mu own steps reading my trip notes was actually great pleasure so still I consider that time well spent.

Apologies for typos as usually I posted right after I finished typing so relied entirely  on auto-correct , I noticed it changes often "boy" to ' buy", I caught it several times. No,  I wouldn't ever classify my guys as a 'buy'.

I’m a bit sad that this report has ended.  It’s been a joy following your peregrinations and it was fun being part of them even if only for a part of an evening.

Being one who reports on travels to the Forum, I can only be awed by your sense of humor and your ability to recall so much.

Thanks...hope our paths again cross.  

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

I can only be awed by ........ your ability to recall so much.

Thanks...hope our paths again cross.  

It's not secret, I take a notes few times a day so don't need to recall much .

yes , I hope we meet there  again as well preferably when our favorite Y , now from Lucky Boys will be there  

Sept 16 vinapu wrote:

...I also booked one night at LeCafe Royal , if only to see how it looks after  renovations and closure. At 20 $ I could afford such experiment.

It was only hotel that trip where they wanted to hold on to my guest ‘s ID , who would think?

Rooms are painted white and so is furniture. Bit psychedelic violet light but when you torn it of and again on , it becomes normal white one.

I was there 12 days (of which 3 days I was sick in the room) and never figured out those damn lights(off then on again=white)

.                           I actually tried to thank the maid for changing out the lights to white bulbs. When I went back to the room again they turned violet again.

Anyway they are "black lights" and made it look like I had a tan. They get old in a hurry.

Worried about the decibels of music downstairs versus the integrity of the  mortar in the structure.

5 hours ago, t0oL1 said:

Worried about the decibels of music downstairs versus the integrity of the  mortar in the structure.

It was not that bad when I was there but my sample is just 1 night, still very good value for money that hotel

Wasn't bad upstairs my first drunken night there, but going about the downstairs areas late at night made me worry about the safety of the whole structure eventually.

Aging mortar continually subjected to sonic stress, harmonics and vibrations.

Usually ceased around 3:00 am

Walked through the lobby after Boys Music had closed. Two heavier female staff and a couple stacks of 1000 and 500 bT bills about 50cm tall on the counter.

They must be doing well.

2 hours ago, alex303 said:

Cracking report, thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us...i especially loved the reunion with 'Z' (great 'spur of the moment' thing to do), hope you two manage to keep some contact going in your time away from LOS as he sounds like a great guy!

thank you , you did outstanding job and much better than mine with your report I just finished reading second time today.

Yes it takes time and effort  but recreating steps from trip is rewarding itself. 

It was spur of the moment to decide to go to see Z once more, I'm glad I did although feel a bid bad for guy he was playing pool with as he basically forced him to agree to drop the game, but at least I knew off of Z by him that night was of the table before i even boarded bus to Pattaya ( gentlemanly he told Z in the morning that I can't off him in the evening )  .

Great guy Z is  and out sized  personality but by definition I only keep contact with guys when they initiate it which is extremely difficult in my case as I live in the cave and stay away from all social media todays generation is drowning itself  in, email being my only contact with 21 century's technological  opportunities . I know I'm missing plenty but also know what I gain. 

I don't want broken hearts over hopes they have no chance of materializing.

Hope dies the last so I hope one day I will see again  him ,Wit,   A , Dam, M, Jack,  Tim  and others who made my 2 weeks  so fun filled.

Loved this report, vinapu! I felt I was right there with you, or at least, wished I had been. And with a little romance too, very sweet how you ran off spur of  the moment to Patty’s to see Z. You, and he, got a just reward for that extra effort. 

And I for one appreciate all the accounting, tips of ST, LT etc. It helps me know what the market will bear. Likely:

Market price = vinapu price/2  

;-)