GoldMember

Hourly weather app for Thailand

I know tropical weather forecasting is inaccurate. 

I'd like some thoughts or advice regarding apps or services that show relatively accurate weather forecasts for the upcoming hours. For example, if I decide to go to the weekend market, I want to verify an hour before I leave my hotel, that it's not raining in BKK for the next 4 hours. 

Any ideas? Mission impossible?

Well definitely NOT anything by WetterOnline GmbH.

They forecast 0% probability of rain in Pattaya, just as I was sat on the beach in a heavy shower.

For the UK, there was a period earlier this year when they forecast 40% probability of rain almost every hour, yet we had about 10 days with no rain at all.   Their forecast is radically different from the much better Met Office forecast.   I suspect they more or less make the forecast up, as it is no doubt cheaper than paying for the data.     Do a nice app, get some advertising income and then keep costs at near zero by not paying for forecast data (maybe).    Such a pity, since they have a nicer app, but the data is complete crap. 

I'm also interested in finding a reliable app.

12 hours ago, GoldMember said:

I know tropical weather forecasting is inaccurate. 

I'd like some thoughts or advice regarding apps or services that show relatively accurate weather forecasts for the upcoming hours. For example, if I decide to go to the weekend market, I want to verify an hour before I leave my hotel, that it's not raining in BKK for the next 4 hours. 

Any ideas? Mission impossible?

In rainy season I'm using 110% accurate umbrella app. I.e. I carry umbrella with me either in my day pack or my hand all the time.

It works, spoon is my witness and beneficiary of that approach.

Bangkok  is pretty big and close to the sea and  it's quite possible Silom will be under rain but Chatuchak or Swampy not  or other way around. Z and me  tested  it when we arrived from Pattaya on sun, Sept 1. As far as Makkasan station it was dry but  at Chong Nonsi , few km and 15 minutes away it was raining very heavily, I mean it.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

In rainy season I'm using 110% accurate umbrella app. I.e. I carry umbrella with me either in my day pack or my hand all the time.

Some of us like to have an app to advise us about when to carry the umbrella.....

I have been using "The Weather Channel" on Android and before on Windows 7 lap top for several years and it proved reliable.

The lap top version is not that good now.

It gives hourly forecast for the next 48 hours and daily rates for the next two weeks.

It proved reliable both at home and in Pattaya, but then am there in January February when the weather is steady.

I once used the BBC Weather site. On a visit to Taipei, the forecast was for bright sunshine and little cloud. Looking out of my hotel room window, I was watching lashing rain, howling winds and broken branches flying through the air as a typhoon zipped through!

I then switched to the Weather Channel. Not as bad, but also virtually useless for forecasts longer than one day ahead. When I travel I usually check the 10 day forecast at least to give me an idea of what the weather may be like. Most times it has not been anything close to accurate.

If I want to check what might happen in the next two hours, I just look at the sky. That's usually pretty accurate.

I understand that with a young child you might want some greater certainty but this time of year I think it's "mission impossible".  I use the weather channel app but we have days and days of 60-70% percent chance of rain or thunderstorms, which as far as predictions go, are about as helpful as this answer.  :(