12is12

FASTEST mode from airport to gaytown?

Friday 16:00 emerging from airport. What's the fastest mode of transportation to Tarntawan hotel?

Taxi, or Air Link to Phaya-Thai/Makkasan stations?

Which station is better?

Are there taxis at these stations, with which to continue on to the hotel?

While on the subject of transportation:

According to Google results there's no Uber; right?

I intend to visit 3 sites south of the city: Erawan Museum, Wat Asokaram, Ancient City open-air museum. Are there taxis on hand to ride from one point to another?

Thanks

(-: 

11 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Friday 16:00 emerging from airport. What's the fastest mode of transportation to Tarntawan hotel?

Are there taxis at these stations, with which to continue on to theAccording to Google results there's no Uber; right?

Fastest route would be  Airport Link > change to BTS Sukhumvit Line to Siam station at Phaya-Thai station > Change to BTS Silom Line to Sala Daeng station at Siam station > take a taxi to your Hotel.

If you have a suitcase, I would not recommend to use BTS as these days it’s extremely crowded at evening rush hours.

Uber shut down last year and replaced by Grab.

I recommend to download Grab app.

Grab is more expensive 30%? than hailing taxi on the street but stress free as no need to explain where you want to go.

I did once took taxi from phaya thai, it was past midnight and no more bts service. Word of caution, avoid the taxi waiting at the sidewalk who almost always wont use meter. Instead take one passing by and only take if they agree to use meter. Fare from phaya thai to raya was only 70bht or so, cant recall exact but i think i just give 100 to the taxi. 

Although during your time of arrival, it is during evening rush hour, so taxi and traffic is something youd probably want to avoid unless you have luggage. Option above save u transfering from train to train but to be honest, the transfer is quick, but the crowd in the train will be packed too, but then again, train from phaya thai to bts saladaeng isnt that far.

At 16:00 Friday the traffic will be flowing out of the city centre. First go down to the ARL level and change some money at Superrich, including some small notes. Then back up one level for the taxis. Very efficient queuing system. Always metered. 50 Baht airport premium and ask to use the toll road - I think it is 20 and 50 Baht. All up 400 Baht to Silom, and no hassle trying to interchange metro systems with a big bag.

6 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Which station is better?

I'd take train/ BTS / BTS / roll my suitcase  to Tarnatwan   from Chong Nonsi BTS / one station further from Sala Daeng  / roughly the same  distance  but sidewalks on Narathiwas will be less crowded than ones  Silom to get that first sample of Bangkok atmosphere.

Phaya Thai is better than Makkasan where you have quite a walk to MRT / subway  and at Silom MRT  station you have again longer walk to Tarntawan.

Keep in mind all: airport train , BTS / overhead railway / and MRT / subway / have separate ticket systems.  

But for first comer with big suitcase / what the hell you are taking with you for holidays in tropics? / taxi may be less stressing option but at that  time of day  be prepared to be stuck in traffic somewhere.

50 baht airport premium means that if you take taxi from airport and meter shows 350 you are paying 400, don't argue with driver as this is how surcharge works. If he takes highway he will be asking you to pay for tolls as you go.

Spoon's advice of taking train and then taxi to Tarntawan is not  a bad one but traffic again.

Advice to change money in one of counters by airport train station on the lowest level is sound one , just make sure you are exactly  by the ticket automates and entry to the station.

Other counters in the airport have uniform but  not as good rate so skip those unless  you arriving past midnight when trains stop ( I know OP is not but others mat be reading this too )

Taxis in Bangkok are everywhere and if you don't see one it means you got blind suddenly. They are cheap but also main contributor , by their abundance,  to a city's traffic.

Friday evening traffic is either the worst or close to it.  Assumption is you will have cleared immigration, picked up your luggage, and ready to leave airport.  Taxis are available on the the ground transportation level which is clearly marked.  Another option, suggested by a Forum member is to go to the arrivals level and grab a taxi that is dropping off someone.

You will have time even with Friday traffic, to check in to Tarntawan, maybe have some dinner, check out the neighborhood, all before the clubs open.

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'd take train/ BTS / BTS / roll my suitcase  to Tarnatwan   from Chong Nonsi BTS / one station further from Sala Daeng  / roughly the same  distance  but sidewalks on Narathiwas will be less crowded than ones  Silom to get that first sample of Bangkok atmosphere.

The suggestion to go to Chong Nonsi to avoid the busy pavements around Sala Daeng is good.

Might I also suggest :

Airport rail ==> Makkasan

MRT   Petchaburi ==>Sam Yan.      

This way, you have a shorter walk from Sam Yan to the hotel with a relatively quiet route.   There is the slight disadvantage of a longer walk when changing at Makkasan.    I SUSPECT the MRT would be quieter than the BTS from my experience of BKK transport within the last year, but I haven't been on it sufficiently to be certain.

I would not entertain the idea of a taxi at this time in the evening, as if one is really unlucky it could be gridlock.

We had the worst experience in makasan station during rush hour where the queue to buy tickets was super long. I cant recall if you need to buy different ticket or not for the change, i suspect so since u need to get out and get in again. Of course if u have the rabbit pass, u could avoid this issue. 

13 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Friday evening traffic is either the worst or close to it.  Assumption is you will have cleared immigration, picked up your luggage, and ready to leave airport.  Taxis are available on the the ground transportation level which is clearly marked.  Another option, suggested by a Forum member is to go to the arrivals level and grab a taxi that is dropping off someone.

You will have time even with Friday traffic, to check in to Tarntawan, maybe have some dinner, check out the neighborhood, all before the clubs open.

slight correction if I may: ggobkk means departure level (=level  4), not arrivals level

3 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

Fire up google maps when you arrive and you can easily see which is faster.    BTS/MRT/ARL is usually a bit more than an hour.  Taxi no traffic is about 35 minutes.  Even with traffic usually taxi is faster and easier.  

I fully agree with this. Even with traffic taxi is usually faster than all those trains with changing trains and stations multiple times, and then STILL not at front door of hotel requiting another walk or taxi.... Taxi may FEEL slower, coz with traffic at times you're not moving much or not moving at all, but I NEVER take those trains (too lazy) and it has NEVER taken more than 1 hour to get to Silom. With no trafffic it's just over half an hour. Plus it's dirt cheap, for me definitely worth the convenience (especially if with a big suitcase).

Since OP @12is12 asked for FASTEST I would still take a taxi even at that time.  The advantage of taking the train is you have near-certainty as to how long it will take (only "near" coz in rush hour you may not be able to get on the next train coz it's full).

It is really not recommend after exhausting flight and with suitcase to go by MRT and BTS to your hotel,you can save a little if you take a taxi at the departure floor where taxis dropping by passengers departing from BKK and will be glad to take passengers before leaving the airport on reasonable rates.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:29 PM, 12is12 said:

I intend to visit 3 sites south of the city: Erawan Museum, Wat Asokaram, Ancient City open-air museum. Are there taxis on hand to ride from one point to another?

There are taxis everywhere. Just be sure they turn the meter on.

Erawan Museum is between Pu Chao and Chang Erawan BTS stations. It's probably best to get off at Pu Chao, so the taxi will be on the correct side of the road to drop you at the gate. (if you get a taxi at Erawan he will probably have to drive back to Pu Chao to make a U-turn  :))

Wat Asok and Ancient City are easily reachable from Kheha station.

The signs and announcements may not make it clear, but for all these stations on the new part of the BTS Sukhumwit line you will need to change trains at Samrong. Just walk across to the other platform and take tne next train.

taking taxi from arrivals at airpt is very much near banned and frowned upon, in fact some time ago they have set all types of barriers trying to prevent that. only for those fluent and well used to Th and how things work there

That you go In town at rush-hr time makes no difference at all anymore at express/tollway_standstill both sides. That also happens a long time mornings (from short after 6.00 till after 9.00)

I always arrange for a car service. It's more expensive, but it's a nice sedan and even if there's traffic you're not really stressing over the meter or anything.

I use S&P Limousine. But I think most of them charge about the same. www.splimousine.com  I get a slightly cheaper rate as a return customer. You meet their rep at the pre-arranged door at the arrivals level and she will handle liasing with the driver and walk you out the curb.