reader

Samyan Mirtown

It baffles the imagination yet another successful shopping mall has opened in a new high rise diagonally opposite the Samyan MRT station.

Samyan Mirtown Features a hotel, condos and offices with a five-level mall on the lowest floors. It’s connected to the MRT station via a circular tunnel that has become a very popular location with photographers. 

The ground floor of the mall is open 24/7 with a food court. If you arrive in the Silom area and it’s too early to check into your hotel, or you need to kill some time before a late night departure, this may be an attractive option. It’s one stop beyond Silom on the MRT. 

On the fifth level there’s a large, two-sided outdoor observation deck (photo below). 

https://www.samyan-mitrtown.com/

BB77810E-1382-4CE8-A087-144A6E810333.jpeg

and penny-pinchers; anyone from 60+ can get 50% DIScount on MRT-fares by just showing any ID at the booth and buy token there.

Foodcourts come 13 in the dozen anywhere in BKK, but agreed, in the Silom area there are actually not that many-afte the one of top floor of old Robinson dept. store on corner ram IV closed.

6 hours ago, pong said:

and penny-pinchers; anyone from 60+ can get 50% DIScount on MRT-fares by just showing any ID at the booth and buy token there.

Foodcourts come 13 in the dozen anywhere in BKK, but agreed, in the Silom area there are actually not that many-afte the one of top floor of old Robinson dept. store on corner ram IV closed.

I don't miss that store but Robinson boys on the steps, yes

Having now also been there; its MITR town, which means friendship in Thai. Owned as was the former wet market and foodcourt by CHULA uni opposite. Chula also owns much of Siam centre and thus makes pretty money. It is always among TH 3 best uniś, if not the best in some subjects (with Thammasat and Kasert). Fairly unique to normal Thai customs many of its students are even eager to study and curious to discover new things. Thus no surprise that 99% of them are Chinese, though due to their rich income they also give grants to poor Thai students who pass the heavy exams.

There are 2 floors of food outlets: below ground connects to MRT/BEM and has loads of he usual chains, just like T21 on Asoke and a BigC food-only supermarket. Sadly no Jeffer or so.

4th floor has more outlets and a Thai stye foodcrt, where many of the old stalls have gotten new squeaky clean and well-organised stands. You pay by card, which only last 1 day!! UNcommon is that there are large tables to share with strangers and that anyone even brings back his tablet to stands-as you would do in IKEA or McDo. Lots of variety and among the costliest items for 100 bt is beef penis soup. I did not try but went for khao moo daeng. There is no free drink water,as is the case with BigC or Tesco. The usual 7 is on ground floor/backside and is also heavy on fresh and microwave food and here are even some seats/tables for that across.

Throughout is good strong free WiFi thus loads of students and others sit there to use that. Strange for a uni-owned centre is that there was not a single book/printed reading matter outlet. But then Chula itself has of course a large bookshop just 200 mtr away. Part of this complek is open 24 hrs.

You can connect via a concrete metro-lookalike round tube to the other side and MRT. This is slightly older Chamchuree complek with a tesco on below ground and also yet another foodcourt with higher prices-from 60 bt for most. Also loads of Chula-students there.

Nearly forgotten and not that friendly to penny pinching farang: a large covered but openair foodcourt is in the soi just beyond Golden Cock and former new old Barbiery buidling, no signs, no prices advertised-rhis is mostly a sign that you will be cheated in TH and as can be expected the usual foodplace for loads of bargirls and the odd barboy too. And the old stalls-evenings along Lumpini park are also still there.

13 hours ago, pong said:

Having now also been there; its MITR town, which means friendship in Thai. Owned as was the former wet market and foodcourt by CHULA uni opposite. Chula also owns much of Siam centre and thus makes pretty money. It is always among TH 3 best uniś, if not the best in some subjects (with Thammasat and Kasert). Fairly unique to normal Thai customs many of its students are even eager to study and curious to discover new things. Thus no surprise that 99% of them are Chinese, though due to their rich income they also give grants to poor Thai students who pass the heavy exams.

Strange for a uni-owned centre is that there was not a single book/printed reading matter outlet. But then Chula itself has of course a large bookshop just 200 mtr away.

I think the better translation of Mitr (มิตร) is "friend," not friendship.  Hence the political party name "Three Friends" not "Three Friendship."  Also, just in case, I double checked the trusty Fundamentals of The Thai Language and they give the definition "friend."  And for the non-Thai readers, ignore the "r".  

I'll admit I'm a bit speechless at the stuff about 99% of the Chula students are Chinese because apparently it's unique for Thai people to want to study?  WTF.   So, what I did was I spent a couple of minutes to look into this. Times Higher Education reports the number of international students is 4%.  U.S. News and World Reports reports about 3.5% international.   Now maybe you mean mixed Chinese-Thai heritage, but I call bullshit on that being 99% also.  If you want to make a hateful generalizations about Thai people then there are lots of people on this board who will join in with you, but don't hide behind nonsense pretend "facts."

Chula gave a long-term lease to the developers of the project.  Chula did not do the actual development.  

1 hour ago, DivineMadman said:

If you want to make a hateful generalizations about Thai people then there are lots of people on this board who will join in with you,

Really? few probably yes but "lots" ?

I think it's hateful generalization about our membership,:D

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

Really? few probably yes but "lots" ?

I think it's hateful generalization about our membership,:D

Actually, I didn't make a generalization about the membership.  I made an observation about a subset.  There's a difference.  If you want to quibble about the numbers, that's fine, but I really think the effort should be in condemning the hate speech instead of mischaracterizing my comment.