10tazione

Guess the word

• there is one "thing" that is so incredibly beautiful in most Thai guys
  • well there are more such "things" but i am talking here about a specific one
  • cut or uncut, it doesnt matter
  • from Isaan or from the South, it doesnt matter
  • it is so strong and dark and comes in many different shapes
  • without hesitation i would exchange mine for theirs because I envy them a lot for it
  • it has 4 letters (oh no!)

What am I talking about?

On 5/15/2020 at 3:11 AM, 10tazione said:

The dark squares are the solution, but you have to put the letters in the right order (not sure if that is hard or not, but in that case I can still give a hint).

Do you mean they form an anagram? If not, are they in the order in which they appear in your clues or the order on the page? One more question. With the Thai BL movies, is there a number in the squares?

SInce we are on the topic of quizzes, perhaps the following might elicit a spark of interest. But please do not consult wikipedia!

1. A quote from a book.

"Venereal disease was rife . . .Since the bar run by the sometime madame Bertha Proctor was just down Graveyard Street from Dr. Chukri's office – a bar that employed women whose names are recorded in history only as Frying Pan, Square Ass, Mother's Ruin, Fornicating Fannie, and Skinny Liz – it was possible for men and women to acquire a disease and be relieved of it on the same city block."

Where was Graveyard Street?

Liverpool England, Calcutta, Portsmouth England, Istanbul, Shanghai.

2. Another quote from a different book.

". . . these men . . . had exchanged their sex organs for a profession that offered prestige, and a certain degree of power – or, more frequently, such a transaction was forced on them in childhood. They had been brought into slavery by middlemen on the far reaches of  _______'s domains and eventually found themselves at the centre of the Imperial system. But in a time of changing mores and political revolution, they were out of a job. Many of them drifted into penury. They could sometimes be seen begging on the street, their elongated limbs the visible signs of prepubescent castration."

Where were these men seen?

Naples, Beijing, Rome, Istanbul, Hyderabad.

3. While on the subject of castrati, the fashion of child castration was adopted in earnest in Italy after Pope Sixtus VI pronounced in 1588 that from henceforth women would not be permitted on stages and in church choirs. As a result, the female soprano parts in choirs were taken by castrati. The fashion soon spread to baroque opera. Anyone who has seen the movie "Farinelli" about one of the most famous of them all knows that they were in effect the pop singers of their day, some earning fabulous sums for short appearances at ladies' soirees. In 1903 the last castrato sang in the Vatican choir. He had a name that is synonymous with a famous brand of shoe. Which brand?

Ferragamo, Moreschi, Jimmy Choo, Gucci, Testoni

4. The parliament of this empire conducted business in no less than 12 languages with no official translators. Not surprisingly it collapsed. Which was it?

Russian Empire, China's Qing (Manchu) Empire, Ottoman Empire, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Mughal Empire

5. Which American wrote this in 1945 after Hitler's suicide?

"Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived."

Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Barry Goldwater, JF Kennedy, Joseph McCarthy

6. Who described Jews as "poisonous, envenomed worms?"

Adolf Hitler, Martin Luther, King Richard the Lionheart, Richard Wagner, Amin al-Husseini

Answers in a couple of days. Extra marks if you can identify the sources of Q 1 and 2.

Happy New Year!

Good tries @forrestreid and @10tazione. It was a difficult quiz which I had perhaps more fun setting that those even considering answering. 

1. Graveyard Street was in Istanbul. The quote comes from the excellent Midnight at the Pera Palace: The Birth of Modern istanbul by Charles King. The Pera Palace was/is the luxury Hotel built to complement the opening of the Orient Express train but the book examines all the many changes in the city as the Ottoman Empire collapsed. Allegedly Agatha Christie wrote Murder on the Orient Express while staying in the hotel.

2. Istanbul again. And again a quote from Midnight at the Pera Palace: The Birth of Modern istanbul. The eunochs guarding the harem in Topkapi Palace were mostly Ethiopian Christian slaves who literally were out on the streets as the Ottoman Empire collapsed.

3. The make of shoe is Moreschi. Alessandro Moreschi sang in the Sistine Chapel Choir from around 1866. His voice was recorded in 1902 and 1904 and one is avaiable on a youtube vdo. He was then in his 40s after a castrato voice had reached its peak. It's a strange thin sound - neither soprano nor countertenor.

4. The Austro-Hungarian Empire which existed only from 1867 until the end of World War I in 1918 and was cobbled together from the breakup of several central Europen states. It was the assassination of its heir that led to World War I.

5. I was really surprised that the quote about Hitler was made by the future US President John F. Kennedy.

6. Another surprise for me. All the possible answers had strong anti-semitic views but the anti-Jewish quote was made by Martin Luther.