reader

Work begins on Manila subway

From Bangkok Post

Trains to start running on 3-station line in 2022, 15 stations to open by 2025

MANILA: Groundwork for the Philippines’ first subway system began on Saturday at a site in Manila that will host its depot and related facilities.

“If we have this subway, the movement of people and cargo will speed up and improve,” Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said at a ceremony marking the start in Quezon City.

Transportation Undersecretary Timothy John Batan said earthwork activities were able to begin following the acquisition of land and clearing of squatters.

The Metro Manila Subway Project is set to begin partial operations with three stations by 2022, with operations of the entire 15-station line slated to start by 2025.

Funded by a US$935-million loan from the Japan International Cooperation Agency, Japan’s aid agency, the first phase includes the three stations in Quezon City and a subway depot and the Philippine Railway Institute, both located in one compound in neighbouring Valenzuela City.

HAHAHA the new Subway is all Fake News. They have had Ground Breaking Events two times and no progress. Seems the Transportation Agency choose to not following the Master Plan presented to the Japanese. Rather wanting to buy up more land where certain Persons have a vested interest and even relocating proposed Stations. The Mayors of two Cities within Manila have demanded President Duerte put a stop to the "corruption". Will be interesting to see if the Subway every gets built???

I would think Manila could get a couple of quick wins on the current MRT system.

e.g.

1  Extend the line to the airport.    Currently it stops about 600m from the airport, with no convenient walkway.     The MRT rail depot is across the road from the airport terminal.  

2  Increase frequency and size of trains at peak times.

No doubt a large additional network would make sense, if designed properly.

I agree, but have to see what will happen with the Subway. They are also extending the Rail Line north to New Clark City with a major airport there. And two new international airports are being planned in Cavite and Bulacan. In 3 years NAIA will be turned into a Park or another Mall!!! 

The major refurbishment of the MRT Line has still not taken place. So morning and evening travel across Manila is impossible!!

On 3/14/2020 at 12:41 AM, GWMinUS said:

HAHAHA the new Subway is all Fake News. They have had Ground Breaking Events two times and no progress.

The OP article only claims that there was ground breaking. It does not claim that there was any further progress.

Before you label something FAKE NEWS get your facts straight.

Do you live in the Philippines? Do you read the local Newspapers?

I am just back from 4 weeks there and I read all the News Reports in the Manila Newspapers. And even they say the "Ground Breaking" was just Hipe!! The bigger problems are the plans of DOT to change the location of Stations and force relocation of many more residents and small businesses. Plus the changes seeming to be for the benefit of influential, meaning rich, developers. Put the Station next to my proposed Mall!!! The Mayor of Quezon City has come out demanding that President Duterte stopping the entire Project until community concerns are addressed. I think my "Facts" are very straight.

Sorry, not this time. The article only claimed ground breaking and you label it fake news. There was actually a ground breaking.

Just because the article didn't say what you wanted to hear doesn't make it fake. Disappointing maybe but not fake.

OK OK to each his own interpretation...

My point is how difficult it is to get anything done in the Philippines. The two new airports are supposed to be complete by 2022, but we will see. I do not not like President Duterte much, too much like our President Trump. But I give him credit for cleaning up "or killing off" the drug trade. And his efforts to get rid of corruption in the Govt. He just removed 7 Immigration Officials at NAIA for "expediting" visas for Chinese Gamblers. At up to 10,000PHP, USD200, each in Pay-Offs.

But politics and crime still goes on in the PH. People including City Mayors and Councilmen are being assassinated but motorbike riding shooters! Still lots of hands in many pockets!!!

41 minutes ago, GWMinUS said:

My point is how difficult it is to get anything done in the Philippines.

I do not not like President Duterte much, too much like our President Trump. But I give him credit for cleaning up "or killing off" the drug trade. And his efforts to get rid of corruption in the Govt.

I agree but try getting something done In Washington. It took the threat of the Corona virus to get Trump and Pelosi over the hump.

Unfortunately he used a shotgun approach to the drug trade, killing off many users along with the sellers. And I suspect his eagerness to eliminate corruption was fueled more by his desire to replace them with cronies loyal to him. Dictators aren't prone to change their stripes.