10tazione

Gay Thai Drama / Thai BL stories

On 5/21/2021 at 4:39 AM, fedssocr said:

this is the study linked on the previous page by 10tazione that I was referring to

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6002055/

As I think you pointed out, that study is purely related to manga. It also does not touch on readers/audiences in Thailand as far as I can see on a quick flip through. It does refer specifically at certain points to the USA, South Korea, Taiwan, China and Indonesia in Asia and a few European countries.

I will try (hopefully) to find the Thai study which illustrated that these movies and TV series are primarily aimed at the teen and young female market much more than the boy/young man market.

I cannot find the research article I mentioned. But there are two recent news items in newspapers and magazines that point out the fact that many BL stories are written by women and are primarily aimed at the young girl/teenage girl market.

"Boys’ Love, also known as Yaoi, is a fictional genre originating from Japan and focusing on homoerotic relationships between male characters but its target audience is women."

https://dizi-mania.com/the-other-far-east-the-thai-boys-love-series-sweeping-across-asia/

An article in Bangkok Time Out dated June 11 last year makes the following points regarding many being authored by women as well as being purchased by girls and women..

"Traditionally, yaoi is created, consumed and favored by women."

"PhD researcher Ronnayuth Euatrirat, who’s studying the Thai Boys Love phenomenon, explains that this may be due to the fact that many Boys Love novels are penned by female authors. 'We find Boys Love characters reflect the desires of a young woman. An engineering student, for example, is a typical desirable personification of a dependable man. These characters also have a manly appearance and come from well-to-do backgrounds. These standards respond to women’s needs.'” 

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/lgbtq/thai-boys-love-culture

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

not scientific but statistically relevant point is to watch on YouTube any clip from fan meetings of BL series heroes, most attendees and what's more important,  screamers are young ladies

As long as we have lots of young ladies screamers there will be no shortage of BL series productions LOL.

By the way in the last episode of Lovely Writer the female author made a cameo appearance .

3 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

the ending to the last episode didn't seem to make any sense, but I guess that's par for the course. I still want more Duean/Meen story! I read some place that the actor who play Pi is still only 17. He does seem older

Thai looking older than he is is rare feast , usually it's other way around

Duen /Meen couple is more funny due to completely different personalities , like fire and calm water

Although BL stories may be aimed primarily at the female market, it is perhaps no surprise that there is a gay element - between some of the producers and at least a few of the actors. I suppose this is a sort of tease since I cannot name names, but there is one major entertainment production company with a very senior executive who owns a house close to the company's central office where he accommodates some of the boys.  Although married with children, he is known to spend a lot of time at the house. I know who he is and have met him on more than one occasion. He is cultured, attractive, studed at Harvard, is featured quite often in various hi-so and entertainment magazines and must now be around his mid 40s.

I do not believe he is one to be involved in any form of coercion whatever. It's just the sort of  producer/actor relationship that happens all over the world. Mind you, I wouldn't mind an evening drink or two (or three) at the house! :p :o

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Although BL stories may be aimed primarily at the female market, it is perhaps no surprise that there is a gay element - between some of the producers and at least a few of the actors. I suppose this is a sort of tease since I cannot name names, but there is one major entertainment production company with a very senior executive who owns a house close to the company's central office where he accommodates some of the boys.  Although married with children, he is known to spend a lot of time at the house. I know who he is and have met him on more than one occasion. He is cultured, attractive, studed at Harvard, is featured quite often in various hi-so and entertainment magazines and must now be around his mid 40s.

I do not believe he is one to be involved in any form of coercion whatever. It's just the sort of  producer/actor relationship that happens all over the world. Mind you, I wouldn't mind an evening drink or two (or three) at the house! :p :o

you are a saying at point of time  we will have another Weinberg like affair, this time in Thai BL  industry ?

On 5/20/2021 at 2:29 AM, fedssocr said:

Fish Upon the Sky. [...] For me the Meen/Duean storyline is more fun and interesting. Louis plays innocent so well with those big puppydog eyes.

Me too, and also more attractive.
As for Pi-Mork, Mork is accusing Pi of being obsessed with but not loving Nan, ignoring that he himself is obsessed with Pi ...

All in all it is an entertraining and light story, I would put it in the same category as Tonhon Chonlatee.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

you are a saying at point of time  we will have another Weinberg like affair, this time in Thai BL  industry ?

No, not at all (I think you mean Harvey Weinstein). In all countries with a movie/TV industry, if you are a young aspiring actor/actress and a producer considers you for a leading role, it is far from infrequent that you will be prepared to sleep with the producer or at least have sex with him - perhaps regularly - to 'seal the deal', as it were. How do you think Marilyn Monroe got into movies? As she herself admitted, she slept around with producers and agents. She only stopped when she became a star.

Some of the Thai boys may already have been gay or bisexual. Others would be like straight guys in gogo bars who have sex for cash. Sex to cement a lead role with the possibility of becoming a popular longer term star must seem hugely appealing to more than a few aspiring Thai teen actors.

I suppose there is a temptation to compare the power of Thai producers over teen aspiring actors with Weinstein. But I see no parallel. Weinstein sexually abused and raped over 80 women against their will. In Thailand I am pretty certain there is consent amongst all parties. 

58 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

(I think you mean Harvey Weinstein).

right

I think you may be right above but such a picture is too rosy. If you are correct,  inevitably they will be those who despite bed efforts will not get a dreamed for lead role and sooner or later hell may break lose.

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

right

I think you may be right above but such a picture is too rosy. If you are correct,  inevitably they will be those who despite bed efforts will not get a dreamed for lead role and sooner or later hell may break lose.

I believe no one is saint here, it's a combination of producers and directors who exploits their powerful position to have sex with  attractive young actors whom will do everything to be famous and rich and if having sex with producers/ directors will help their career they will do it with no hesitation.

Nobody is not forcing anyone do do something against their will.

10 hours ago, vinapu said:

Hell may break loose? Sorry, that will not happen in Thailand. Views on sex here are very different from the USA, and the mai pen rai attitude will definitely prevail in such a situation. The only way there might be any form of public scandal would be if a mid-teen was held against his will and repeatedly raped over several days. But making any such allegation against a man seen as a pillar of Thai hi-so society whose family has a long record of public service would only end up with the boy being regarded as a liar who was trying to get money out of the producer. 

7 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I believe no one is saint here, it's a combination of producers and directors who exploits their powerful position to have sex with  attractive young actors whom will do everything to be famous and rich and if having sex with producers/ directors will help their career they will do it with no hesitation.

Nobody is not forcing anyone do do something against their will.

I believe that's a nice summation of the situation. We may not like the situation - but who are we to throw stones at glass houses? After all, most of us happily have had/still do have sex with Thai guys in return for cash. There are no saints. But lots of cute actors who are thrilled they finally made it on to the screen.

4 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Just saw the first episode today seems very interesting Thai BL series .

link?

Nevermind I found it. There are just too many platforms. I'd heard of Gagaoolala but hadn't ever bothered to sign up. Luckily this one is on the free channel. 

Ep 1 moves a bit slow and feels a bit subdued. Seems lower budget than GMM's shows

4 hours ago, fedssocr said:

link?

Nevermind I found it. There are just too many platforms. I'd heard of Gagaoolala but hadn't ever bothered to sign up. Luckily this one is on the free channel. 

Ep 1 moves a bit slow and feels a bit subdued. Seems lower budget than GMM's shows

This is not a lavish production such a GMM series neither it is typical BL series love story , The plot is about filming Thai BL series and the difficulties on its process with the staff involved this is why I found it quite different and interesting.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:22 AM, PeterRS said:

Hell may break loose? Sorry, that will not happen in Thailand.

Hell may not break loose, but sooner or later something will happen and we will read it in the news. Maybe not now, because the BL industry in Thailand is still too young and it normally takes decades until a person is going public with an accusation of sexual harassment.

4 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Hell may not break loose, but sooner or later something will happen and we will read it in the news. Maybe not now, because the BL industry in Thailand is still too young and it normally takes decades until a person is going public with an accusation of sexual harassment.

The Thai culture is different not loosing face is very important issue in Thailand , once an actor is going public with an accusation of sexual harassment he might expose himself on public in negative light and it might destroy his career in the entertainment industry he will probably prefer to avoid this and move on , moreover it's very rare in Thailand to see accusations of harassments unless minors are involved and then the authorities taking this matter more seriously.