10tazione

Gay Thai Drama / Thai BL stories

From Nikkei Asia

Thailand's 'boys love' dramas stealing hearts around the world

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.am

In Thailand, its "boys love" or BL dramas are popular mainly among young women, as the country is more accepting of the LGBTQ community than most other Asian countries.   © GMMTV

YUKIHIRO ENOMOTO, KOGA HASHIZUME and MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writers

TOKYO -- The hashtag #ThaiNuma (meaning #Thaiswamp) has skyrocketed on Japanese social media in recent years, thanks to the growing popularity of Thailand's "boys love" dramas. As some fans say of the captivating genre, "You'll never get out once you get stuck, like a bottomless swamp."

The country thinks its BL dramas could storm the world like K-pop.

Nearly every time Bright, 24, and Win, 23 -- popular actors of the megahit "2gether" said something during an October 2021 online event held for Thai and Japanese fans, followers raved with replies like "Thank you for a wonderful time" or "I will love you forever." The hashtag #BrightWinJAPAN became the No. 1 trending hashtag at the time.

Bright and Win each have more than 10 million followers on Instagram. They even held live meet-and-greets with fans in Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, New York and London in 2020.In Thailand, its "boys love" or BL dramas are popular mainly among young women, as the country is more accepting of the LGBTQ community than most other Asian countries.   © GMMTV

From Bangkok Post

Asia falls in love with Thai Boys Love

Buoyed by the openness of the LGBT community, Thailand's "Boys Love" (BL) movies and series have been well received in the local market and are considered promising export products that can draw lucrative revenue streams and foster business opportunities in other areas, including tourism.

BL dramas are known in Thailand as Y Series, derived from the Japanese term "yaoi", which refers to a genre of fictional media that features homoerotic relationships between male characters.

The government last year said that Thailand's Y content market was worth more than 1 billion baht, with the key export markets including China, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and Latin America.

One of the most popular Thai Y Series in overseas markets is "2gether", which was produced by Thai television production studio GMMTV and launched in 2020.

According to Japanese publication Nikkei, the "2gether" show began on Japan's Rakuten TV streaming platform in July 2020, and eventually became No.1 on the platform's annual movie and drama rankings.

A Japanese tour operator, H.I.S. Tours, has organised a virtual tour to locations where some scenes in 2gether were shot, according to the Japanese news agency Kyodo News. The Feb 11 online tour drew more than 250 people, with nearly 99% of them women.

The TAT continues to spur the popularity of Thai BL in Japan by partnering with local TV channels to introduce new tourism sites, and creating joint promotions with tour operators for virtual tours to film locations.

The agency has promoted tourism directly through the Aloha application, China's social networking app for the gay community, by inviting Chinese gay couples and key opinion formers to test luxury tourism products in Thailand, such as yachting.

Mrs Kanokkittika said the LGBT segment could be categorised as luxury travellers as they are high-income earners, live in key cities, and want to spend more for travel experiences.

after quite a long break I finished watching "Enchante ", while actors are cute I found plot so so . After slow developing action through first 8 episodes  it considerably seed up in the last 2. "Dark Blue Kiss" or "Together With Me " it was not but girls may like it

On 5/5/2022 at 4:51 AM, vinapu said:

it considerably seed up in the last 2.

It seems to be the golden rule that the big drama always happens in the penultimate episode!

After long interruption (too many Thailand holidays)  I finally finished "I promised you the moon". Like the first part I found it was well made and well played. But also a very said story which made it a bit hard to watch.

Currently watching:

"Dear Doctor I am coming for soul": Other than that it is pretty weird I don't have an opinion yet.

"Kinn Porsche": Another mafia story. Mafia son + bodyguard theme. I saw the first 3 episodes, it has a lot of action, it's funny and Porsche is pretty hot! And since it is 18+ there is some hope we will see a kiss between the main actors (actually it already happened in E3).

"Cupids last wish": With Earth + Mix, so hopes are pretty high. Only saw the first to episodes and so far is is just soso.

I never got around to the last episode of Enchante. Once the secret was revealed it seemed a bit pointless.

I am more or less enjoying Star In My Mind. It is quite lightweight. I think the lead is really adorable though. The story is a little bit confusing with the whole "will they or won't they" and about 10 ancillary characters who are trying to land the protagonist as their BF. But I guess they need some conflict to keep the story moving forward.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:11 AM, 10tazione said:

"Kinn Porsche": Another mafia story. Mafia son + bodyguard theme. I saw the first 3 episodes, it has a lot of action, it's funny and Porsche is pretty hot! And since it is 18+ there is some hope we will see a kiss between the main actors (actually it already happened in E3).

It gets much hotter in episode 4

Perth Nakhun is doing great job in his You Tube pieces , not only entertaining but also enlightens us about Thai customs , cuisine etc. I found piece about Thai names and honorifics particularly enlighting.

Can't wait for second season of My Engineer as it's supposed to focus more on Ram / King story, Perth playing Ram of course

MaxTul make cameo appearance as Tan and Dr.  Bun in Triage Episode 4. 
Triage claims to be a BL medical drama but so far no romantic interests. Episode 5 of 13 airing today. Everything points to the main couple to be Tae (2 Moons, Hotel Stars, Paint with Love) and Tee (2 Moons, Hotel Stars, Miracle of Teddy Bear) with at least one other secondary couple. Another familiar face is Mild from What the Duck and TharnType series (Techno).

On 5/10/2022 at 4:07 AM, 10tazione said:

Thats true! After 4 episodes I consider this series one of the best Thai BL in 2022!

From E4:

672039856_e4-1-Kopie.thumb.jpg.11a44c90dea962e3bb0567c1d9c0d0fc.jpg

196109142_e4-2-Kopie.thumb.jpg.4301c1a8d192aa472d54ba7521a85c1e.jpg996937892_e4-4-Kopie.thumb.jpg.ae6f69e32f6c021b7ac4740931d7cb62.jpg1092555474_e4-5-Kopie.thumb.jpg.d90d8da2f2ce2e5a22c3e3692e7dd15e.jpg

Then be sure to watch until the end of Episode 7... WOW

I thought we had a Chaturbate show going!!! Where are my Coins???

😜

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

But as Ram in " My Engineer" he is even greater. 

Yes! Can’t wait for My Engineer 2 - filming rumored to start later this Summer (as the actors are busy with other projects) followed by Bitter Sweet series - same cast but a different story.