reader

Stinky tap water

From  Coconuts Bangkok

Bangkok’s water supply is likely to continue tasting and smelling nasty for another four months, but is completely safe to drink, officials said 

The brackish water that’s been flowing in Bangkok for about one week due to severe drought conditions is still within acceptable water quality standards, according to Health Department Director Panpimol Wipulakorn.

According to Panpimol, the sodium levels of Bangkok’s water supply – ranging from 100 milligrams to 150 milligrams per liter – are still below the 200 milligrams considered acceptable for drinking by the World Health Organization.

Bangkok’s surprisingly potable tap water took a foul turn just before the New Year due to higher salt content. The drought ravaging the kingdom means lower water flow and increased salinity in the Chao Phraya River. 

The Health Department warned people to reduce their salt and sodium intake in the meantime. Those with kidney problems and high blood pressure should be exceptionally cautious about consuming the salty tap water.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bangkoks-tap-water-to-remain-stanky-until-may/

I don't know what this is all about, my tap water is as clear and non-stinky as ever. However, I also use bottled water to make coffee (or tea), because I don't fully trust the tap water, both in terms of possible pollutants as well as, importantly, the taste of my coffee. I couldn't care less about this Greta.... luckily she is a complete non-event here.

14 minutes ago, anddy said:

I couldn't care less about this Greta.... luckily she is a complete non-event here.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I know Greta would crucify me...

Forget about Greta and start worrying about Lilly

Meet Thailand's answer to Greta Thunberg. She's only 12, but her passion is already paying off

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-01/meet-thailands-answer-to-greta-thunberg/11817228

We have filters on our taps.  They seem to work nicely.

I love Greta. She is our generation’s Jeremiah.

About everywhere in non-touristy BKK stand watermahcines, whcih deliver assumed treated /ozoned water from the mains for 1 bt/ltr or 5 bt/5 ltr, one can see kids carryng these flasks to/fro home. Most foodcoruts Thai style (STETTFood!!) also dispense free drinking water-but some do not provide cups.

9 hours ago, Patanawet said:

I live in central Bangkok and have always used tap water to make tea (boiling water) and for cooking. Never any problems.

I don't use it not for fear of germs (which would be killed by boiling anyway,  I have no qualms drinking in unboiled in that regard) but because 
1) it might not taste as good as with bottled water
2) there may be other things in the water, like dirt or rust from old pipes

1 hour ago, a447a said:

I wouldn't bother too much about what Greta thinks about bottled water.  

What if that bottle in the picture is refilled  for 27th time already? :D

But you are right and congratulation on the sharp eye ( of course providing that that's genuine picture , not photoshoped for fun or to take sides in the environmental war).

Often we see that crusaders for whatever cause are fast to give an exception for themselves. One of my relatives , outspoken advocate of living simple life has house certainly cluttered above the average and I know few people  very concerned about global warming but still driving gas -guzzlers like Jeep.

I even suspect that some contributors here complaining that over tippers are spoiling market  and boys for others are in fact pretty generous with their money spent on guys. 

I've just returned from a trip to Japan where the  tap water is actually quite delicious. And perfectly safe. 

It is the only country in Asia where I don't bother with bottled water. I believe Singapore's tap water is fine, but when I think of where it comes from I can't bring myself to drink it. 

The bottom line is, when I'm away I don't want to take any chances. I don't want to ruin my holiday when I can buy a bottle of clear, pure water from 7/11 for 10 baht.

Often we see that crusaders for whatever cause are fast to give an exception for themselves.

Like the vegan protesters in the mall in Perth who wear leather shoes!  Lol

In my experience, the tap water in Japan was so heavily chlorinated that the taste lingered even after going through a Brita water filter. 

I fixed that by allowing it to stand for 24 hours in a bucket, then putting it through the filter.

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

But you are right and congratulation on the sharp eye ( of course providing that that's genuine picture , not photoshoped for fun or to take sides in the environmental war).

The photo was taken on the Sail Boat she was on to cross from the USA to Portugal. I doubt the boat had running water...

Water comes in plastic bottles all over the world. Thailand is no exception. I presume it has a lot to do with the cost.

There are other containers which are more environmentally friendly. I imagine they are not confined to land and can also be used on sail boats.

There have not been any more posts on the topic so I guess it might have reached its end. So I'll quickly post a reply to DM and leave it at that.

No one is pictured throwing anything. Greta is just shown sitting in front of a plastic bottle, illustrating her breathtaking hypocrisy.

What she didn't tell us is that the boat had a diesel engine downstairs for when there was no wind. She also forgot to mention that in order for her to travel "green", the 2 sailors who took her to New York caught a plane back home and 2 more flew in to take her home. So 4 flights instead of 1. 

BTW, I'm a strong believer in climate change  I'm sitting here watching my country burn.

1 hour ago, a447a said:

No one is pictured throwing anything. Greta is just shown sitting in front of a plastic bottle, illustrating her breathtaking hypocrisy.

Sitting in front of a plastic bottle illustrates breathtaking hypocrisy?  Really?  Really?

So you're saying that people who advocate for climate change CAN NEVER BE IN THE PRESENCE OF PLASTIC BOTTLES.  Really?  Seems like a rather silly statement to me.  

I doubt she personally - a 16 year old girl - provisioned the boat, but presumably you know she did.  Or you must have copy of her "rider" (as they would say in the entertainment industry) insisting only plastic-bottled water.  Because she has to be directly responsible for that one bottle that she's sitting in front of before you can say it's her breathtaking hypocrisy.

But I don't really think that's the case.    

Frankly, I don't think being a fierce advocate for climate change means never being photographed in front of plastic bottle (duh).  She and the rest us live in the real world.  The point is to minimize the use when possible, and recycle what you do use.  

I agree that there are carbon costs to her attention-raising sail.  But that doesn't mean the costs weren't outweighed by the benefit, which is (or should be) the test.  Do you know for a fact that she or her team didn't do anything to offset the carbon costs?  

I think she has raised attention for climate change and done a great job driving home the fact that our (and preceding) generations' inactions will be borne by her and succeeding generations.  She gets the attention for the topic that no one else has recently.  

She's a young 16 year old girl living her life in the real world.  That means sometimes she'll make mistakes.  Sometimes using plastic.  Sometimes an ill-considered tweet.  When she gets her driver's license, I bet sometimes she may sit in the car with the engine running.  Who knows.  What's she supposed to do - live entirely off-the-grid?  She a girl (young women) living her life with friends and family and being an advocate for her generation.  

The good news is that she seems to take the personal attacks quite well, and has proven herself more than a match for Trump and others.

I feel sorry for Thais that they have to experience stinky tap water. I am impressed by their efforts to go green. When I was at Silom Road Sunday market, there were different types of dustbins for different types of waste (e.g. food, plastic, paper, etc) and there were volunteers assisting people to sort waste and throwing into the right dustbin.

Those of you living in Thailand would also know about the ban in use of plastic bags at supermarkets. Some interesting photos to share of how some Thais cope with the ban.

48AE246F-F197-46ED-8485-502DE400B067.jpeg

1BBC94C2-D8C4-4172-AE4A-131358B82ED2.jpeg

8B4AA68D-3B12-4C76-A386-A3684A0AC5DC.jpeg

49 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

Those of you living in Thailand would also know about the ban in use of plastic bags at supermarkets. Some interesting photos to share of how some Thais cope with the ban.

somebody should tell them they can do shopping like my mother did all her life - with the shopping net or fabric bag