Milk78

First Time in BKK - trip report

Chiang Mai is no Bangkok, nor a Pattaya....it's probably nor even a Phuket. The venues tend to be spread over a wide area, open late and are aimed at locals rather than tourists.  Transport isn't as straightforward  as you may be used to elsewhere. Try Adam's Apple if you seeking something similar to the Bangkok bars. Make sure you have the means of transport back to your hotel.

But Chiang Mai is a fine location with fascinating temples and scenic trips outside the city or on the river.  Twenty years ago, it had a small but thriving gay scene; nowadays, you have to seek it out.  

If you are in Chiang Mai for a few days my partner and I have used this guy for a very long day trip to Chiang Rai and district

He is a gay guy, we really enjoyed our tour with him, not cheap but IMO worth it to have a safe driver with good English and a new vehicle (but that was a few years ago)

https://www.benstaxiserviceandtours.com/

As Londoner mentioned CM gay scene isn't thriving at present - most bars are quiet - I was one of three customers at one of the better known ones last night - but as most know if you don't try them out you'll never know.

Orion, Pandee, Secrets, CM19 bars are small establishments within walking distance of each other in the Night Bazaar area. Most have a few boys there mainly to sit and drink with you - some boys offable. All bars have some information on Facebook- but not all up to date.

Most popular boy show bar is Adams Apple located in the Santitham area. Again on Facebook. Most of the boys are from the Shan State in Myanmar. Boys can be "offed" - ask the mamasan for any advice.

Another boy show bar is New My Way also in the Santitham area. It's ok depending if there is an audience.

More well known massage establishments are Classic House and Common Massage and Apollo - refer to websites/Faceboook.

Grab works well in Chiang Mai for transport - short waiting times and available at all hours.

The Apps are active here - Hornet, Grindr, Blued - mind you some profile photos aren't that current.

Chinese New Year celebrations in the next few days - mainly I think around the Warorot Market area. And of course walking street markets on Saturday and Sunday in the Chiang Mai Gate and Thapae Gate areas.

Relaxing time to be had drinking beer, eating thai food including fried whole fish, snoozing in the huts at the lake Huy Tung Tao particularly if accompanied. You even get to see King Kong!!

7 hours ago, Milk78 said:

PS - Big thanks @anddy. It was great to meet you and have some company for the evening. Thanks for taking the time to come out and meet me. 

it was certainly my pleasure and a great, fun evening :) 

We were a little late and walked straight into the fuck show

which was really a very big surprise to me as it was not even 10pm when we entered the bar. The idea was to get there BEFORE show time to see the boys first, and then check out the show. So it was kinda in between, which was still good. The subsequent show, apart from a a couple of lipsynching numbers, was all naked numbers with hard-ons. hadn't seen an early pre-midnight Screwboys show in ages (ever?), so didn't know what to expect. We left before the show finished though.

I was finding it a little more difficult. I was really struggling to find something appealing. The selection on stage was somewhat limited.

maybe a slight clarification on what "limited" was in this case: it wasn't really the (limited) number of boys, there were easily 30 boys or more floating around in the bar, if only about a dozen+ on stage at any given time (no stage overcrowding as a Lucky Boys lol). What made the selection "limited" was they all seemed the same type: super skinny and mostly light-skinned, with of course a handful of exceptions (including mine who was the ONLY one sporting some real muscles and a ripped six pack, very hard to the touch; guess he'd fall in the category "twunk". 

And in that learnt a very valuable lesson - up close he looked completely different from when he was on stage. Up close he was really very cute and far more appealing. He said he was 23 and from Laos

Couldn't agree more. The boy looked very cute up close, and then even cuter after he had changed into his street clothes AND wearing glasses! Looked totally adorable. 
The same "change of look up close" was true for mine, he looked kinda rough on stage from the distance, but wasn't as much up close, especially with a smile :). Cambodian, by the way. Speaking of Nationalities: I asked by boy about Viet boys in the bars, ad he said not as many really any more, most moved on to other bars. Now mostly Laos, Cambodia, Burma. That's what he said, of course I couldn't verify that.

4 hours ago, traveller123 said:

If you are in Chiang Mai for a few days my partner and I have used this guy for a very long day trip to Chiang Rai and district

He is a gay guy, we really enjoyed our tour with him, not cheap but IMO worth it to have a safe driver with good English and a new vehicle (but that was a few years ago)

https://www.benstaxiserviceandtours.com/

That's a great idea and recommendation, for a first timer such individual guided tours are a great way to see much, much more than what one would do alone, not knowing the lay of the land. Even more so if the guide is gay, needless to say.

An alternative would of course be a guy from "our own" https://siamroads.com/ though i do not know if they'd have their own car. 

I have been in New My Way twice in the last week. 

The first time had 2 ladyboys on stage, so I left immediately.

The second time, I deliberately arrived about 25 minutes before the show, expecting to see offable lads on stage in their underwear.  Rather like on my previous visit to the city, about 10 years ago (when I offed a lad back to the Lavender Lanna gay hotel). However, there was an empty stage.  The waiter informed me that the show started in 25 minutes.  They had some Asian customers, all on their phones. I left.

Adams Apple actually has some boys, although of the bigger muscular variety.  I saw part of the show and checked out the boys here.

Circle Pub.  Nothing on stage at all, so no incentive to stay.  LOUD music providing an incentive to leave.

The above is a harsher  and probably more accurate assessment of the scene than mine. I didn't want to be too discouraging.There 's always the apps! 

I still think CM is a great place to visit and second traveller123's suggestion for a trip to the Chiang Rai district....for me one of the most beautiful in Thailand.

CM is wonderful for nearby sightseeings, the temples ,the old city and night market but certainly not for its boys and nightlife. I had been there 4 years ago and enjoyed the city attractions very much but the gay scene was boring almost none exist .

The one advantage that CM always did have were its much lower prices-both for the drinks, the offs, the fees and the tips. (think of half the BKK-high end that you were exposed to till now). Also for most other things for the tourist-HTL, food etc-except the nasty transpo (but use grab now as way out). Nearly all working guys are indeed from whatever hilltribe, many Shan/Karyen (often slightly illegal from Burma-wandering tribes without much respect for passpt and all that idiot burocrazy stuff- thats how this world should be!) but alas, many seem to lack even the basic skills one may expect after Thai journeys. Even though CM can deliver delightful and very skilled guys-find these elsewhere, as they always seem to fear the gossip from next door if they would stay in CM city.

There is also a detailed and always uptodate site for gay things CMai and a poster who always delivered fresh news and pointed it out (bonton or so?).do a google for that.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:18 AM, Londoner said:

There 's always the apps! 

Yes, the apps saved the day to an extent.   The percentage looking to meet older farang is much lower than in Pattaya, so a bit more effort is needed.   But it worked.

I would personally come to Chiang Mai for sightseeing, food and coffee, not the gay scene.   

But it does depend on what each individual looks for in a gay scene.  Thanks to diversity, some like ladyboy shows.