daydreamer

Koh Chang

Wonderfully helpful report, daydreamer, though the beach looked a bit disappointing compared to Krabi or Ko Samui.

Could you perhaps add a bit more information regarding these:

1. Was the bungalow all yours, or was it a duplex? It seemed large for a single unit, and it had two peak roofs.

2. Could you say something about food options on the island?

3. What about water from the tap -- how was it? (20 years ago on Ko Samed, everything was great except the water which came from a well and looked/smelled dodgy).

4. Presumably the sea was noticeably cleaner than at Jomtien?

Mack.

7 hours ago, daydreamer said:

but the way many people are glued to their screens all day, I think they wouldn't know what to do with themselves with no phone access. 

while you are spot on, going that far to be glued to the screen seems very expensive way to enjoy one's smartphone

18 hours ago, daydreamer said:

I took a boy from a Pattaya bar with me, he was eager to travel with me.  It was a good break for him to get away from the bar for a few days, while still making a guaranteed long time tip each day.  I have always paid any boy traveling with me the going rate for long time tip daily, and of course I paid for all expenses. 

from my experience and what i heard from others that seems to be established , accepted and fair practice

I'm joining chorus great and informative report !!!

Did you know there was a Battle of Koh Chang in 1941?

I was just surfing around the Bangkok Post, in particular, the scathing opinion piece 'Govt won't win Oscar for army propaganda' by columnist Atiya Achakulwisut. Three paragraphs from the end there was a mention of the battle -- which I had not heard of before -- so I looked up wikipedia and it's quite an interesting story. Check it out. I don't suppose there are any ruins or sunk ships left to explore. Might hurt Thai pride too much to highlight the defeat.

Mack.

I don't think the Thais view the battle as a particular embarrassment or injury to pride.  Perhaps they even think of it as a bit of success - as many of us do when the French don't get what they want. ;)  The Thai Navy has built a memorial to the battle.  The Navy hosts a big annual ceremony to honor the servicemen who died. 

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

But they were trashed. Several navy boats sunk by the French. I don't always understand Thai logic but this could be another example of it. 

Hmm.  Not sure it is a Thai logic issue.  I think sometimes in wars defending forces take substantial damages and loss of lives but that nation will still celebrate and take pride in those defending forces -- despite the casualties and losses.  N'est-ce pas?  In any event, in this particular situation the Thais were the defenders.  The French didn't get what they wanted.  Within a couple of weeks the Franco-Thai War was over and the Thai annexation of territory from French Cambodia was confirmed.  For the government at the time - a win.

But I return to the main point that I think there are probably lots and lots of examples around the world where defending forces take substantial damages and they can still honor and celebrate the defenders in the battle.  Not a particularly Thai thing.   

10 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

Within a couple of weeks the Franco-Thai War was over and the Thai annexation of territory from French Cambodia was confirmed.  For the government at the time - a win.

Indeed that's the "victory" celebrated by the Victory Monument (1941) in BKK.

Shame they had to give it all back in 1946...

11 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

I think sometimes in wars defending forces take substantial damages and loss of lives but that nation will still celebrate and take pride in those defending forces -- despite the casualties and losses.  

You have a point. Movies have been made of Pearl Harbor (1941) and Dunkirk (1940). However,  such pride/celebration of defending forces may only be possible if the country is the ultimate victor despite those losses. For example, I wonder if Germany could similarly indulge in celebrating German soldiers' efforts and valour in Stalingrad (1942) or the Japanese indulge in Midway (1942), without others sniggering.

Mack.

Great report, thank you daydreamer. I will do almost the same in two weeks (Some days Jomtien at Zing and then Koh Chang). But I have a bungalow in the south of the island. I will probably rent a motorbike and will visit various places as I have done on Samui.

Enjoy your further stay!