gaperking

Condom or bare?

@spoon

I was always aware shingles wasn't classified as an STD, I have always assumed the Doctor's comment was because during the stage of open sores it can be passed on through close contact and the Doc wasn't explaining the difference between Chicken Pox and Shingles.- We were in a town in Isaan, it was 10 years ago and perhaps the Doctors there at that time were not as qualified as elsewhere.

@PeterRS One thing I clearly remember it was 5000 baht for the consultation and tablets which did take me by surprise.

The tablets did begin to work very quickly and there was an improvement after two or three days.

10 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Continuing for a moment on this serious sidetrack, I was in Dick's a few years ago having dinner with several friends. The subject of shingles came up. Three had suffered from shingles and were saying how nasty it was. One said he had had the rash on his forehead. This can be particularly serious as there is a possibility iit can affect the eyes. The next day I popped in to BNH and got the latest shingles vaccine. It was not cheap, about 8000 baht for the doctor consultation and the vaccine. But it was then a new vaccine and i was told it would cover me for at least 10 years. Money well spent. I encourage everyone to have themselves vaccinated.

For those interested in Shingles vaccine (and you should be)  the latest vaccine is known as Shingrix and it is much more effective than the older vaccine, Zostavax   Typically you get two doses, 2 to six months apart, or even longer between shots. But, to my knowledge it is not available in Thailand. Even if you had the older vaccine, Zostavax, you should get the newer Shingrix.