TotallyOz

2 Strikes and a Homerun

8 minutes ago, DivineMadman said:

Here I thought I was just making a fun lighthearted non-controversial observation. Much less one that was wrong and in need of correction.  But so be it.  

why so cross @DivineMadman? I'm not trying to "correct" anything, or be overly serious about this either, I was just taking up your "linguistic tangent" which I though was fun and discuss some finer details of your or mine understanding of รับ. 

44 minutes ago, anddy said:

why so cross @DivineMadman? I'm not trying to "correct" anything, or be overly serious about this either, I was just taking up your "linguistic tangent" which I though was fun and discuss some finer details of your or mine understanding of รับ. 

Honestly - because it seemed very odd to take issue with the use of the term "connote."  I don't understand the need for the correction.  That's why.  In part because I don't the correction was actually correct.  And in part because I don't think was necessary at all.  

19 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

Honestly - because it seemed very odd to take issue with the use of the term "connote."  I don't understand the need for the correction.  That's why.  In part because I don't the correction was actually correct.  And in part because I don't think was necessary at all.  

"to take issue" again sounds kinda serious to me. I wouldn't say I took issue with "connote", it's just my understanding that a "connotation" is more of a side-meaning (similar to a side effect of a medication) rather than the main, true meaning of a word. So related to รับ I felt it's more than "just" a connotation, because receiving is a main meaning of it. Related to "bottom" it might indeed be more of a "connotation", maybe you referred to that rather than รับ (or both). Of course it's not wrong to say "connotation" here for either, so I surely didn't want to "take issue" with it,  just offering some additional (as you say, possibly incorrect, fair enough) insight or point of view, which in turn in a thread like this is never "necessary" in that sense. Just offering some views or opinions, that's all. 

1 hour ago, anddy said:

"to take issue" again sounds kinda serious to me. I wouldn't say I took issue with "connote", it's just my understanding that a "connotation" is more of a side-meaning (similar to a side effect of a medication) rather than the main, true meaning of a word. So related to รับ I felt it's more than "just" a connotation, because receiving is a main meaning of it. Related to "bottom" it might indeed be more of a "connotation", maybe you referred to that rather than รับ (or both). Of course it's not wrong to say "connotation" here for either, so I surely didn't want to "take issue" with it,  just offering some additional (as you say, possibly incorrect, fair enough) insight or point of view, which in turn in a thread like this is never "necessary" in that sense. Just offering some views or opinions, that's all. 

OK.  In a lighthearted post that was trying to point out that the word can have quirky little differences in the way we read it, and also provide some helpful information about common gay app profile uses, definitely important to say, "You shouldn't have said connote.  You should have said 'means'."  I see.  

Never would have crossed my mind that someone would make that comment.  I wish I had never made the post.  As do we all, I am sure.

There may have been "clarifications" or "interventions" but for those with less knowledge of the thai language all the comments and variations in interpretation and usage are interesting to us. So please continue to post and discuss!

For me I shall continue to enjoy the fact that I can say to a thai guy "Phom Lhap Daay", I can receive you, which sounds so mush more gracious than "I want you to fuck me"!

Sure that someone will correct my phonetics, or my spelling of same, but the guys get the message, and that's surely the most important thing!

15 minutes ago, Michael said:

asking for 10k baht for funeral.

His own? :D

Early in the pandemic one enterprising lad asked for donations “in case I get Covid”. It wasn’t specific to me, it was a general beg to all his Line contacts but I couldn’t resist, I replied offering 200 baht for face masks to prevent catching Covid. No reply ever since. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

And, the home-run just sent a message asking for 10k baht for funeral. Can I change the title of this thread? :)

Reminds me of a lad who asked me for 5000b. to transport his father from the hospital to the wat for cremation.

I later found out his father was alive but the boy was great in bed, just bullshitted endlessly.  I kinda miss him.

5 minutes ago, williewillie said:

Reminds me of a lad who asked me for 5000b. to transport his father from the hospital to the wat for cremation.

I later found out his father was alive but the boy was great in bed, just bullshitted endlessly.  I kinda miss him.

I wonder what will he say if you insist to send off his father to the wat together. 

27 minutes ago, williewillie said:

We have all (most of us anyway) been there. I just ended a 16 year relationship with a great bullshitter! He was so good that I also miss him. But, so much BS that I'll never revisit it again.

21 minutes ago, spoon said:

I wonder what will he say if you insist to send off his father to the wat together. 

I sent him 5k instead of 10k and told him it was a loan and to feel free to message me when the loan is paid back. I don't expect it. But, I'm OK if I don't get it back either. It is always worth 5k to know someone's intent. (well, someone I'm sleeping with at least)

On 6/29/2020 at 11:40 AM, spoon said:

I was relieved he didn’t ask me to go to the cremation.  We were in different cities at the time.  Early in the relationship I met his sister.

i recall him being quite upset that she was shagging some farang.  I thought he was being noble until I found out he didn’t have a sister.

He couldn’t compete with the farangs money and lost his honey. He was great in bed with exactly the body I like so...

So, he sent me photos from his father's funeral. Nice lad. He flew to Chiang Mai (emergency) and needed money for family. He will be there for a week. But, he forgot we met on Grindr and I watched him over the last 2 days log in 6 miles from me. So, I created a new LINE account and messaged him and tried to book him for a date in Bangkok tonight (although still in Chiang Mai). Guess if he was actually in Chiang Mai or is willing to meet a new date tonight in Bangkok?

5 hours ago, Michael said:

So, he sent me photos from his father's funeral. Nice lad. He flew to Chiang Mai (emergency) and needed money for family. He will be there for a week. But, he forgot we met on Grindr and I watched him over the last 2 days log in 6 miles from me. So, I created a new LINE account and messaged him and tried to book him for a date in Bangkok tonight (although still in Chiang Mai). Guess if he was actually in Chiang Mai or is willing to meet a new date tonight in Bangkok?

Typical to money boys.this is why I never send them any money and simply decline all their stupid requests.

Yep, all complete bullshit. The funeral. The trip. Everything. But, not smart on his end. I was seeing him 2 times a week for 2500. He got 5k for "the funeral."  I caught him in the lie and he is now blocked. Yes, I loose out on seeing him but I am OK with that and it saves me money in the long run. But, the extent he went through to show me photos of the funeral, the flight info, etc. was amazing. Very planned out. I am sure I was the first one that he ever prepared all this info for. :)

Is always good to keep reading these stories, for both the entertainment value and as mental training, so we are be prepared to say no when fraudulent requests come in.      Claiming his father has died to extract a few thousand baht is pretty low.

It's not the first case, as within the last 6 months I've read on another board about a lad claiming one of his parents died as a ruse to extract money.  Then, forgetting it further on in the conversation & referring to that parent as still alive.

I know several farangs that give money freely without ever asking to see any proof.

One old man got a phone call requesting about 150,000b. so the boy could get out of the monkey house. He paid.

He later found out the story was bullshit and then gave the same boy money to get his mobile out of hock.
It’s a game for some boys especially when they hit the jackpot with gullible old farangs who want to be nice.

I have been conned plenty myself and done my share of bullshitting as well.  It takes two to play.  Sometimes you win,

sometimes you lose.  If I’m having fun and a good time, I can handle the relatively small amounts of money but some old

farangs go into debt, max out credit cards and end up flying off high rises.  Sad but true.

6 hours ago, Michael said:

But, the extent he went through to show me photos of the funeral, the flight info, etc. was amazing. Very planned out. I am sure I was the first one that he ever prepared all this info for. :)

Sorry Michael, enjoy your fantasy...

In the end, I thought if it was true and he had no one to turn to to help, I won't be able to sleep. 5,000 baht was a small price to pay for my guilty conscience if there was a real issue. I gave him 2500x2 times per week. So, the money just didn't add up for me but it was the end of the month and rent was coming due. However, I knew when I saw him the day his dad died and he told him that his dad had a motorcycle accident. I knew at that point. But, knowing and knowing are different. :)

1 hour ago, spoon said:

I thought u gave him as a loan, so i supposed you should still be able to claim that money, maybe in terms of owed tips rather than cold cash lol pity that you blocked him though haha

Yes, it was a "loan" to pay for his father's funeral. Yes, I could have let him offer to pay off in time but I'd never trust someone who went through such an elaborate scheme to get money from someone. Just like he should never trust someone who would set up a fake LINE account, message him and ask for a date saying we had met at a bar just to test if he were in the same city when he was supposed to be in Chiang Mai. :) So, I don't think another meeting would be good for either of us. Trust and verify. But, never give money unless you are willing to loose it. IMHO