reader

Proposes 3 phase “travel bubble” strategy

From The Thaiger

Thailand is proposing a “travel bubble” pilot scheme featuring a proposed five areas of the country to be tested before international tourists are officially allowed to enter. The move is reportedly to focus on safely reopening by using the areas of Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket, and Pattaya, as experimental locations, which would allow tourists to enter at a maximum of 1,000 per day, without having to fulfill a 14. day quarantine period.

A travel pact or “bubble” with 3 distinct stages, is expected to be agreed to with countries that have had similar success to Thailand in suppressing the Covid-19 virus and that have gone at least 30 days without recording any new cases. Initially, it’s understood the arrangement will include China, Japan, and Taiwan.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand says that in phase 1 of the agreement, which could begin in August, only those touring in groups would be admitted, due to it being easier to manage group activities and travel. If no new infections arise within one month of phase 1 getting underway, Thailand can move to phase 2. The second phase would see more regions of the country opened up to international tourists and a higher number of foreign visitors admitted. Similarly, Phase 3 would roll out upon the success of Phase 2, seeing all of the Kingdom open once again to both international tour groups and individual travelers.

The proposal, which has yet to be approved by the Public Health Ministry, comes as the government has approved a stimulus package for domestic tourism to help the country’s decimated hospitality sector. Currently, only those who fall under six groups of travellers are allowed to enter Thailand, but they must apply and receive proper approval before entering.

what remains utterly unclear and unadressed is what the status of the many expats living in Thailand is. Europe just opened up for Thailand, so Thais can go there to visit and obviously can come back. But can I? As it stands now, I cannot. Why? I can't conceive of ANY reason, but it is what it is... I will continue to do what I've done ever since this started: wait and see. 

Wait and See..I wait every day to see how badly the USA response to Covid-19 will be, only to see that it's getting worse. 

I fortunately live in the bubble part of California where the new case rate is low.  My doctor advised me this week to not plan any travel within the US until late July as they (the HMO where she works) are anticipating a large spike two weeks after this coming holiday weekend.  

I'd be wiling to quarantine in Pattaya for two weeks, but the USA doesn't meet the criteria for the tourist trail.

4 hours ago, anddy said:

what remains utterly unclear and unadressed is what the status of the many expats living in Thailand is. Europe just opened up for Thailand, so Thais can go there to visit and obviously can come back. But can I? As it stands now, I cannot. Why?

My understanding is that the European ruling is a reciprocal agreement. So it will only be valid for Thailand when they lift their ban on Europeans entering Thailand

15 hours ago, colmx said:

My understanding is that the European ruling is a reciprocal agreement. So it will only be valid for Thailand when they lift their ban on Europeans entering Thailand

That may be the case, I honestly don't know and didn't look to deep into the announcements from Europe as they're irrelevant to me. Only relevant to me is what Thailand does, and they haven't lifted the restrictions for people like me (not even ever mentioned them at all as a category of people, and how they may be handled going forward). 

Here's the ticket.

From Bloomberg News

Thailand Plans Open Borders for High-Spenders on Private Planes

(Bloomberg) -- Thailand’s plan to target high-spending foreigners to kick-start its travel sector has a green light after winning Cabinet approval and additional support from the nation’s aviation regulator.

The Southeast Asian nation lifted on July 1 a near-total ban on foreign travelers. The majority of arrivals in the initial phase will be foreigners with direct ties to Thailand -- such as those with businesses, major investments or family in the country. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand added a clause to also allow those who have “special arrangements” with the government.

“Many in the high-spending, high-income groups avoided direct impact from the pandemic, but couldn’t come here because of travel restrictions,” Chula Sukmanop, director general of the CAAT, said in an interview Tuesday. “I’ve spoken with private aircraft operators who said they have plenty of potential customers looking to charter a plane to here.”

The “special arrangement” group widens the market for “big spenders,” whose applications could be treated on a “fast-track basis that requires case-by-case approval,” Chula said. The biggest proportion of visitors in the initial phase will qualify through one of the travel-bubble agreements Thailand makes with other nations, he said.

10 minutes ago, reader said:

Here's the ticket.

From Bloomberg News

Thailand Plans Open Borders for High-Spenders on Private Planes

(Bloomberg) -- Thailand’s plan to target high-spending foreigners to kick-start its travel sector has a green light after winning Cabinet approval and additional support from the nation’s aviation regulator.

The Southeast Asian nation lifted on July 1 a near-total ban on foreign travelers. The majority of arrivals in the initial phase will be foreigners with direct ties to Thailand -- such as those with businesses, major investments or family in the country. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand added a clause to also allow those who have “special arrangements” with the government.

“Many in the high-spending, high-income groups avoided direct impact from the pandemic, but couldn’t come here because of travel restrictions,” Chula Sukmanop, director general of the CAAT, said in an interview Tuesday. “I’ve spoken with private aircraft operators who said they have plenty of potential customers looking to charter a plane to here.”

The “special arrangement” group widens the market for “big spenders,” whose applications could be treated on a “fast-track basis that requires case-by-case approval,” Chula said. The biggest proportion of visitors in the initial phase will qualify through one of the travel-bubble agreements Thailand makes with other nations, he said.

Is any of our board member falls in this category?

A light (4-8 passenger) jet rents for between $2600-$3500 per hour.  Departing from most ASEAN nations would put flight time inside a two-hour range of BKK. Most charter services will offer to "pool" passengers with common destinations and departure dates.

Create your own travel bubbles. LOL.

22 hours ago, colmx said:

My understanding is that the European ruling is a reciprocal agreement.

I know now that for Germany it is not, or rather for most countries (incl. Thailand) on Germany's list it is not, but for some (didn't memorize which) it is. They make it all so extremely complicated..... 

But the bottom line remains, doesn't help me as for now I can't re-enter Thailand. I could charter a private jet, but seems slightly excessive to me