TotallyOz

Delays in Getting Embassy Clearance

I have friends moving to Thailand and have approved work permits. But, they are stuck in Chicago as the embassy is not certifying them for travel. The government laid out a process but this process is slow and not going to go fast for anyone. For those thinking of visiting, you need to wait until the government explains to all the consulates and embassies around the world how to follow the protocol laid out for them.

Also, even if they were given clearance, air tickets through South Korea (Delta) have been cancelled 3 times. It is not easy to get to Thailand from USA right now. At least for multiple people I know.

1 hour ago, muscfair said:

It's not easy for foreigners to get work permits because most of the jobs are reserved for Thai people? What are your friends working as?

You might try Eva Air and fly through Taiwan. 

Yes, you need Covid-19 cert and fit to fly cert, it's a lot of headache now.

There are tons of people who work in Thailand and get work permits and are non-Thai. If you own your own business, you can get a work permit.

I have friends also on visa for family but they have to leave the country. However, now, they cannot even do a visa run without 14 day quarantine. Things are not going to be easy for anyone right now.

10 hours ago, muscfair said:

Why would family visa need to leave the country?

I honestly do not know the visa type he is on. But, he has to leave to get a stamp and return. I don't know much about visas for family. He does have a Thai wife and children.

Did it ever occur to you/your friends that maybe TH is not so keen on allowing people from the US into TH now? regardless of work permit or not. In most other countries people from the US are currently banned from entering.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

I honestly do not know the visa type he is on. But, he has to leave to get a stamp and return. I don't know much about visas for family. He does have a Thai wife and children.

really HAS to leave? Ever tried to do an extension at Chaengwattana?

4 hours ago, anddy said:

really HAS to leave? Ever tried to do an extension at Chaengwattana?

For now, most people have been extended based on Covid and without penalties. But, with a family, you can't mess up your ability to come into the country. I know he did max out his extensions.

18 minutes ago, Michael said:

For now, most people have been extended based on Covid and without penalties. But, with a family, you can't mess up your ability to come into the country. I know he did max out his extensions.

didn't know there was such a thing as "max out extensions". For retirement, extensions are unlimited. Should be even more so the case for someone married to a Thai? Seems logical and sensible, but as we all know that is of little importance here. 

When I decided to move out of the USA, I considered Thailand, but the paperwork , restrictions and political uncertainty made me re-think even trying. I live as a permanent resident of Mexico and life has been relatively easy. A couple of more years I can apply for citizenship....

28 minutes ago, floridarob said:

When I decided to move out of the USA, I considered Thailand, but the paperwork , restrictions and political uncertainty made me re-think even trying. I live as a permanent resident of Mexico and life has been relatively easy. A couple of more years I can apply for citizenship....

You made a good decision the recent foreigners unfriendly government policy isn't make things easy for expats.