TotallyOz

Favorite Bars in Gay Bangkok

Thanks everyone.

Please take a look at http://www.troff.com/gay-bangkok-gay-thailand/

You will find the bars listed at the bottom. If you look at Moonlight, that is the way we want to have the bars with links to the forum. Would love comments. It is an easy to use database that will help the site grow and also remove the double log in (which many have asked for).  But, the name troff is irrelevant. It is just a testing site we are using before moving over to gayguides.com  

8 hours ago, Michael said:

Would love comments.

As you asked for comments I am pleased to advise & will not be offended if you politely ignore me:):

1  I like the concept of a guide with one entry for each business.    However, I think it would be better with the general Bangkok tourist info moved onto it's own tab, so the user doesn't have to scroll down over it each time he wants to search the bars.    The user might just have a slow wifi connection whilst on holiday.

2  The maps are nice.    If clicking on the BARS option, it shows a very nice map with ALL the bars on it to the right and an image from the bar on the left.    That's more useful than the "Show Map" option, which sometimes brings up a map with just the bar and nothing else, ie no information on relative positioning to other venues. 

3   I've been to the building in this photo.    It's at Bagan in Myanmar & I recommend a visit.   However, not as a day trip from Bangkok.     This might be from the Michael O'Leary school of geography.

bagan.JPG

2 hours ago, z909 said:

As you asked for comments I am pleased to advise & will not be offended if you politely ignore me:):

1  I like the concept of a guide with one entry for each business.    However, I think it would be better with the general Bangkok tourist info moved onto it's own tab, so the user doesn't have to scroll down over it each time he wants to search the bars.    The user might just have a slow wifi connection whilst on holiday.

2  The maps are nice.    If clicking on the BARS option, it shows a very nice map with ALL the bars on it to the right and an image from the bar on the left.    That's more useful than the "Show Map" option, which sometimes brings up a map with just the bar and nothing else, ie no information on relative positioning to other venues. 

3   I've been to the building in this photo.    It's at Bagan in Myanmar & I recommend a visit.   However, not as a day trip from Bangkok.     This might be from the Michael O'Leary school of geography.

bagan.JPG

Thank you for the feedback.

1. I don't understand what you are asking.

2. Good idea. I don't know if possible, but I'll check.

3. Wrong photo removed. :) I'm American and we ain't known for good Geography.

Adding to Z909 point number 1. I think what he meant was he have to scroll all the way down to get to the bars option when on the phone. Would be nice if i dont have to, as in have a link or tab at the top instead. But then i realize the link you gave us is the cities link. If i hit home, the home page is nicely done with all the tabs for easy access.

Spoon is correct.    

If we go to the home page,  then click on the BARS tab, we get the map page with a very good layout.    

However, given that the page is set up to cover multiple cities, I'm not sure why it chooses Bangkok a the default.    Of the uploaded cities, Amsterdam is above it in alphabetical order.    That's a purely technical observation -please keep Bangkok as the default !

If I then click on the cities tab and change city, we then get to the format with the general cities info above the bars, massage, clubs etc tab.     I can't zoom the browser out far enough to capture the whole lot, but the picture below shows part of it.    The general Bangkok tourist info is at the top of EVERY tab.

I think this would work way better if the general touristy part in the top of this section were moved to it's own tab.    Then if we click on the bars tab, the bars would be at the top of the bars page and so on for other tabs..    Currently every time we click on a different tab, we have to scroll past the general tourist info.

There is also a Myanmar photo remaining in the Bangkok header.     [FYI:  One of the other photos is from Sukothai, over 400km from Bangkok.  Since that could be done via a fairly extreme day trip, it's probably OK]

Also, as far as I can tell, all the premises are in the correct place on the map.   That's not always the case for Thai maps, so another positive.   

I think this is on the right track.

layout.JPG

Z, I think it defaults based on IP. So, it depends on where you are accessing as to where it defaults. If you were in England and we had a London page, it would default to that location.

Yes, I changed the default image at the top of the Bangkok page but it will not accept the new image. So, what this means is I'll have to wait for support to answer why that image is "stuck" there.

Thanks.

The text on http://www.troff.com/gay-bangkok-gay-thailand/ needs an update:

"For your first night out, you’ll probably want to aim for Soi Duangthawee (popularly known as Soi Twilight and so named after one of the original bars there – now called Hotmale)."

It would be interesting to have a filter "Show only bars in operation" (default) and an option to show all bars including those permanently closed. And maybe some data like the year of opening and the year of closing.

16 hours ago, 10tazione said:

The text on http://www.troff.com/gay-bangkok-gay-thailand/ needs an update:

"For your first night out, you’ll probably want to aim for Soi Duangthawee (popularly known as Soi Twilight and so named after one of the original bars there – now called Hotmale)."

It would be interesting to have a filter "Show only bars in operation" (default) and an option to show all bars including those permanently closed. And maybe some data like the year of opening and the year of closing.

Thank you. Done for part 1.

We don't want to show any bars permanently closed. The data for years would be good if it is easy to come by.

In and beyond Thailand, various websites have had a go at mapping over the years.     

Many become out of date, as whilst there's a core of bars that last for a decade or more, there can be high turnover amongst other bars & premises.  

Even google maps is now failing to remain current for many types of business.   I've had some past success in correcting errors in bar locations, adding premises & also in identifying closed businesses (backed up with photos).   However, even google now frequently fail to add and remove premises.  I've tried several times to have a bar removed in Pattaya, with no success.   In Bago (Myanmar), google maps identified some dreadful coffee shops.  I found 2 proper coffee shops & tried to add them, backed up with photos, which since they were taken on my Android phone, google can verify the location of.   These are still not added, 6 months later.   I would have thought google would automate that.

Anyhow, you have an excellent format for the mapping.   If you're prepared to make it comprehensive and current, which requires continual updating, it will be a superb resource. 

One way to keep it current is to allow users to recommend corrections, but of course there needs to be a quality filter to prevent malicious or incompetent edits.     A few trusted reviewers might solve that. 

What's the intended scope of this guide ?     Are you just going to cover major destinations like Barcelona, Berlin, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket etc, or will there be some kind of "Rest of Thailand" section that, for example, shows us where the one gay sauna in Udon Thani is located.    Assuming people are prepared to contribute.

14 hours ago, z909 said:

One way to keep it current is to allow users to recommend corrections, but of course there needs to be a quality filter to prevent malicious or incompetent edits.     A few trusted reviewers might solve that. 

What's the intended scope of this guide ?     Are you just going to cover major destinations like Barcelona, Berlin, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket etc, or will there be some kind of "Rest of Thailand" section that, for example, shows us where the one gay sauna in Udon Thani is located.    Assuming people are prepared to contribute.

Great idea. I'll check on the ability to add others to the process.

The scope now is to get the big cities listed and then add Other areas.