spoon

Thailand protestors take to street calling government to resign

10 hours ago, spoon said:

well you don't feel or see those protests in other parts of the city of course, where it is (quiet) business as usual. These are the students with lofty (if worthy) political aims. However, there is another source of trouble: as the global pandemic progresses, restrictions on travel to Thailand remain and the economic situation for so many here keeps deteriorating with joblessness and poverty intensifying, some expect much more and broader based unrest to come later this year. Understandable, I suppose. 

I just read an article about jobless men and women in Pattaya, who have no money at all, not even enough for a bus back to their home provinces and sleep in the closed bars, where owners tolerate them, bars being shut for business anyway. They go look for free food distributions or the odd day job to survive. Not sustainable obviously and probably just the tip of the iceberg. 

I'm not at all surprised that they have protests under such economic conditions.       

Thailand has shut down a significant proportion of it's economy and I'm not reading much about support for affected people.   It's inevitable that they eventually protest. 

The Government has got off very lightly following its rigged elections after  staging yet another coup against  a democratically elected government. This is a conversation I often have with my boyfriend; why the passivity? is it just fear of the consequences of dissent? or are there other forces and influences at work?  I can relate to fear- the massacre of Red Shirts without any consequences was, and was meant to be, a warning. But other populations face equally severe consequences and take the risk. Is it religious? is it to do with the monarchy? Or are there other reasons? I wonder.

But I agree that the  financial crisis will soon bite, even if it hasn't done so already. And it's not just the likes of Pattaya that will be hit but Isaan et al whose citizens receive much of the money that is made from tourism through its exported workers.

Probably a multitude of reasons. Some I can come up with include (my personal theories):

- formerly much respect for the high institution, now maybe morphed more into fear under this government because any political oppositions can and will easily be construed as opposition to said institution. Nice tool for suppression.

- a culture of avoiding conflict, personal or on a larger scale. Only when things really get intolerable do things boil over and result in the shooting of the wife's/husband's extramarital affair (just an example) or in political protests

- a culture of obedience to all sorts of "senior" folk. Begins in schools at very young ages. See a critical article about the practice or prostrating before head teachers here: https://thisrupt.co/society/prostration-101/

I just recently discovered that website https://thisrupt.co/.  It was founded by a Thammasat professor who still writes editorials there and has all kinds of critical and non-mainstream views. Recommended.

From Bangkok Post

Anti-govt protests continue in provinces

Anti-government demonstrations by students and other young people were held in several provinces outside Bangkok on Saturday. Protesters called for a House dissolution, an end to intimidation of the people and the rewriting of the constitution.

In Kanchanaburi, at about 5.40pm a group of about 50 young people comprising secondary school and university students in this western border province gathered at an open ground on Lak Muang road in Muang district.

The protesters held aloft placards and banners with messages attacking the government and military dictatorship. They called for the House of Representatives to be dissolved to make way for a new election, for the government to stop all forms of intimidation of the people and for the constitution to be rewritten.

The demonstration was peaceful. About 50 police and military personnel were deployed to ensure law and order.

At 6pm, the demonstrators sang the national anthem and flashed the trademark three-finger sign with their hands. They yelled, "Down with dictatorship. Long live democracy" three times before dispersing.

In Samut Prakan, near Bangkok, at about 5pm a group of students and people gathered at the open ground in front of the city tower in Muang district.

Student leaders took turns on a stage to call for a House dissolution and for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to resign.

At 7pm the protesters switched on the lights of their mobile phones and flashed the symbolic three-finger sign before ending the demonstration.

In Phetchabun, at about 6pm about 10 youths staged a brief gathering in front of the clock tower in Lom Sak district of this central northern province to voice the same demands.

The  Military's tight control of the media probably ensures that  a lot of the protests remain unreported. I've seen them in Chiang Mai on a number of occasions, most recently the last time I was there in January. Seemed to be mainly young people, perhaps students, just as we were having breakfast. You wouldn't find British students protesting so early in the morning! They were marching around the road next to the moat next to the Old city.  A couple of hundred, I'd guess. I wanted to join them but P persuaded me otherwise.... probably correctly!

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

I wanted to join them but P persuaded me otherwise.... probably correctly!

I think so.  Sorting out Thai political problems is the responsibility of the Thai population & it's probably better to be discrete with any support.

I reckon more protests are inevitable, as the government seems to have shut down large parts of the economy for months, with little signs of plans to reopen or to effectively support the people who are losing out.

From Channel News Asia

Pro-democracy rally attracts thousands as discontent swells

PATHUM THANI, Thailand: Thousands of people from all walks of Thai society came out in force Monday (Aug 10) to an anti-government protest, the largest ever show of dissent targeting premier Prayut Chan-o-cha's administration after weeks of rallies.

Waving rainbow flags, acerbic signs and posters of missing pro-democracy activists, the demonstrators descended in waves to Thammasat University in the outer edges of Bangkok as the sun set.

The robust attendance comes after weeks of near-daily student-led protests denouncing Prayut's military-aligned administration.

Over the weekend, two activists were arrested under charges of sedition - and then released on bail - for their alleged role in a massive Jul 18 rally.

Organisers on Monday reiterated demands for a rewrite to a 2017 constitution, the parliament's dissolution, and called for the government to "stop threatening the people".

The protest drew a diverse crowd from the LGBTQI community, young high schoolers and elderly pro-democracy supporters.

"Us seniors must support the students," said a 70-year-old woman who declined to be named. "We must fight for our sons, daughters, nephews and nieces."

The kingdom has long been locked in a cycle of violent street protests and coups by a putsch-happy army.

Demonstrators regard former army chief Prayut, who led the 2014 coup, as a remnant of Thailand's military government legacy as his premiership was ushered in under a military-scripted charter in last year's poll.

The pandemic has seized up Thailand's economy, leaving millions jobless and angry at the inequalities of a society perceived to favour the kingdom's elite establishment.

"No more fake democracy," read a sign at the demonstration, which drew around 4,000 by nightfall, according to an AFP estimate.

"This is the right time to send our voices to the government to let them know that we've had enough," said one university student, declining to be named.

Prayut has vowed to hold public forums with young people.

From Thai Enquirer

Student leaders say they are unconcerned with politicians urging caution

Student leaders told Thai Enquirer on Wednesday that they were unconcerned with political parties urging caution after a controversial rally on Monday which touched upon previously taboo topics in Thai society.

Up to 10,000 students gathered on campus at Thammasat University – Rangsit on Monday to call for a change in government with many students saying that the Prayut Chan-ocha administration was undemocratic.

The students called for a rewrite of the military-drafted constitution, the dissolution of parliament and the end to the harassment of activists by the state. As the rallied continued, many speakers also touched on the role of the Thai monarchy in politics.

Politicians on Tuesday cautioned the students about involving the royal institution and urged the students to keep their criticisms of the government within the realm of politics.

Korn Chatikavanij, leader of the Kla Party, said that he did not want to see history repeating itself and advised the students to, “avoid insults towards the institution and conduct rallies within the boundary of the law.”

Korn was alluding to the October 6, 1976 student massacre where royalist mobs and the army crushed student rallies and lynched many students in public squares. The Kla leader said a political rally is a civil right but the respect for other’s right to belief is also another civil right.

===============================================================================

From Thai Enquirer

Right-wing Thai media takes aim at student protesters arguing Monday’s rally had crossed the line

Following a large student rally at Thammasat University on Monday, right-wing conservative media over the last 48 hours have taken aim at student protesters for involving the monarchy in politics and questioning the motives of the student leaders.

Up to 10,000 students gathered on campus at Thammasat University – Rangsit on Monday to call for a change in government with many students saying that the Prayut Chan-ocha administration was undemocratic.

The students called for a rewrite of the military-drafted constitution, the dissolution of parliament and the end to the harassment of activists by the state. As the rallied continued, many speakers also touched on the role of the Thai monarchy in politics.

It was the last point which drew the ire of conservative news outlets with many saying that the rally had ‘hurt the feelings’ of the Thai public by involving the royal institution.

News outlets like the pro-government Bangkok Post ran a headline on Wednesday arguing that the students had “crossed the line” and quoted military-appointed senators without interviewing any protesters.

Government mouthpiece news outlets like The Nation and Manager both ran editorials questioning what was the ultimate aim of the student protesters while asking where the students had got the money to run their protest.

Both Nation and Manager in the past have tried to link anti-establishment protests with “third party” sources of funding oftentimes relying on editorials and analysis pieces to connect political issues to exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra.

On Tuesday, Nation TV ran a piece asking “Who is the person trying to destroy the nation?”

2 hours ago, reader said:

News outlets like the pro-government Bangkok Post ran a headline on Wednesday arguing that the students had “crossed the line” and quoted military-appointed senators without interviewing any protesters.

somebody needs to tell Bangkok Post and other than real change always involves 'crossing the line", be it abolition of slavery, introducing 8 hours work day and welfare state not to mention gay rights or even relatively trivial changes from imperial to metric or direction of traffic from left to the right like Sweden did in 60-ties  , first for trucks and few months later for all other traffic

The two English language Bangkok papers  share  a smug acceptance of the status quo with   all its indignities and cruelties. Of course it is alarmed by any signs that Thais who aren't part of the elite may rise-up again and claim their country back. I lost all respect- not that I had much before- for their response to the massacre of the Red Shirts. Some dead bodies just don't count.

Thai Lives Matter. Even  those of  working class Thais and the young.

Huge crowd calls on government to quit

From Bangkok Post

As darkness fell at Bangkok's Democracy Monument, the numbers of student protesters calling on the government led by Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha to quit swelled past 10,000.

The peaceful but high-spirited rally began on Sunday afternoon and by evening engulfed an area stretching from the Democracy Monument roundabout, where activists and comedians spoke from a stage, to beyond Khok Wua intersection in the direction of Sanam Luang.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau put the crowd at 12,000 at around 7pm, while organisers claimed more than 20,000 were calling for a restoration of full democracy.

Vehicles were barred from entering the area for the safety of the demonstrators, while police were using the compound of Satriwithaya School as a command centre for officers to maintain law and order.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has pleaded for calm and patience from security authorities deployed at the rally site, while a small group of pro-royalist agitators withdrew from the area to avoid confrontation.

Speakers at the rally held by the student-led Free Youth movement and the Free People group reaffirmed their three demands: the dissolution of the House, the commencement of writing a new constitution and an end to harrassment of government critics.

Trakul Meechai, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, told Thai PBS the government and Parliament should hold an urgent meeting to address their calls and make clear their positions on the demands.

The new round of anti-government protests started on July 18 before spreading into several provinces, particularly at school and university campuses.

Prayut is certainly not the most liberal democratic leader in the world but he stabilised the politic situation in Thailand wlafter the military coup against the corrupted Taksin sister Yingaluk , The economy improved (till the Corrona era of course) and he manage to control the virus situation very well with very low infection cases . 

10 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Prayut is certainly not the most liberal democratic leader in the world but he stabilised the politic situation in Thailand wlafter the military coup against the corrupted Taksin sister Yingaluk , The economy improved (till the Corrona era of course) and he manage to control the virus situation very well with very low infection cases . 

Do not conflate a successful and public support for government covid-19 response and policy with economic recovery and anything that resembles democracy. Prayut is a dictator that serves at the pleasure of you know who. If HK style protests lead to Prayut's "dismissal" then we should all become acquainted with the name of ultrar-oyalist, Army commander-in-chief General Apirat Kongsompong. 

I have just been talking with my boyfriend in Kamphaeng Phaet....it seems that coverage of the demonstrations on Thai media is very limited.

A government that could ban DMC TV as subversive (if only!) will certainly not flinch from eliminating the students from the national consciousness.

Or even eliminating the students.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

I have just been talking with my boyfriend in Kamphaeng Phaet....it seems that coverage of the demonstrations on Thai media is very limited.

A government that could ban DMC TV as subversive (if only!) will certainly not flinch from eliminating the students from the national consciousness.

Or even eliminating the students.

I know khaosod news has been forced to remove articles about the demonstrations. The ultra-royalist will not share power and I only hope my fears of an unforgiving government and violence do not come true.   Btw, for those who wish to follow the developments the https://www.khaosodenglish.com/ provides far more insight than the kowtowing Nation or Bangkok Post. Also Scottish journalist, Andrew MacGregor Marshall, banned from Thailand posts on FB and Twitter and is no friend of the government/junta. 

From Bangkok Post

Pro-democracy Milk Tea Alliance brews in Asia

BANGKOK/HONG KONG: As Hong Kong pro-democracy advocates voiced support for Thai anti-government protests at the weekend, they used the hashtag #MilkTeaAlliance.

In Bangkok, flags representing Hong Kong and independence for Taiwan appeared on a sign bearing the tag at the biggest demonstrations in years.

And in Taipei, dozens of people gathered to back the Thai protests and give weight to a nascent community of cross-border youth movements pushing for democracy at home and uneasy with China's growing regional power.

"This is the first physical expression of the Milk Tea Alliance," said Thai student Akrawat Siripattanachok, 27, who helped organise the show of solidarity in Taipei joined by Hong Kong activists, a Chinese dissident and Taiwan students.

"We don't want to just talk about it online. We want a pan-Asian alliance for democracy."

===============================================================================

From The Nation

Unicef reminds Thailand of young people’s right to safety, freedom of expression

Concerned about the potential harm young people may be facing amid the ongoing protests in Thailand, Unicef is calling on all parties to uphold protesters’ right to freedom of expression and protect them from all forms of violence and intimidation.

Concerned about the potential harm young people may be facing amid the ongoing protests in Thailand, Unicef is calling on all parties to uphold protesters’ right to freedom of expression and protect them from all forms of violence and intimidation.

The UN agency said young people’s rights to participation, peaceful assembly and freedom of expression, including peaceful protest, are enshrined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the most widely ratified human rights treaty in the world.

Thailand ratified the CRC in 1992 and committed itself to guaranteeing that young people's rights are fulfilled, including their right to participation, expressing their opinions in a peaceful manner and for their voices to be heard.

From Thai PBS World

Activists plan more protests nationwide in September

Student activist groups across the country are threatening to step up anti-government protests in September if their demands are not met. The secretary-general of the Free Youth Movement said today that the planned protests include a march through the streets of Bangkok and prolonged nationwide protests. Tatthep Ruangprapaikitseri cited Sunday’s protest at the Democracy Monument as a “big show of force”, sending a message to the government about their 3 key demands.

The students’ original 3 demands, which have since grown into a 10 point manifesto, include a new Constitution, the dissolution of Parliament and an end to state harassment of protesters. Activists also want an end to coup d’états and a democratic system placing the Monarch under the Constitution.

Tatthep admits that major political changes cannot happen in Thailand without popular support, but points out that many ordinary citizens joined the protest at the Democracy Monument.

He dismissed concerns that the escalated protests next month could provoke violence, saying they’ll be peaceful and that the police will ensure peace and order.

“If there is violence, it will not come from the protesters. If there are third-party elements, then the government will be held accountable.”