TotallyOz

Bumrungrad Colonoscopy Review

I had an appointment early this week for a Colonoscopy. I have not had any issues but being over 50, I wanted to get one to check for any issue.

I wanted the insurance to pay for it so I got a pre-approval for 79,500 baht which is what the doctor said would be max.

I spent one night preparing. I had to take Dulcolax at 7PM the night before and then AirX at 3AM. I also had drink PEG solution from 2-4AM. All of this was the night before and cleared out my system. It was a bit uncomfortable as I went to the toilet 20 times. But, I preferred to do this at home. The other option was to do the procedure in the afternoon and spend 4 or so hours in hospital preparing. I chose to do the night before.

I got to the hospital at 7:30, checked in, left my wallet and cell phone with receptionist, and went back to the area to dress and prepare. They inserted a needle in my hand for the anesthesia. I opted to do the surgery with anesthesia (though they didn't say there was another option as I told them in advance this is what I needed).

The doctor checked on me, they took me to the room, had me lay on the table on my side, hooked up all the vitals signs equipment and pulled the back of my pants down. The doctor talked to me for a minute and said not to worry, and I fell asleep. I woke up in recovery room. After 20 minutes, they brought me Au Bon Pain and coffee, juice and water. When I felt OK (around 30 min) I got dressed and waited for doctor. He met with me within 5 minutes and gave me a packet of photos of my ass and hole (I think he thought I wanted this for Grindr or something). I then checked at cashier and signed some paperwork.  I was on the road before 11:30.

So, in total, 4 hours in hospital. No pain. Two good doctors. Multiple nurses. I felt well taken care of and comfortable the entire time. I had no issues at all and was happy to get this test out of the way.

Total cost: 35,000 baht. That is well under what the insurance had approved.

I would give this place a 5 out of 5 star rating. The experience and professionalism were excellent and the level of English of EVERYONE I encountered was excellent.  

It's interesting to compare how this is done.   My doctor recommended one a few years ago, as I had a few digestive issues that were not clearing up after returning from Thailand.  I had it done privately in the UK, as my former employer's medical insurance covered that.

1 For cleansing, they recommended something or other which was taken the day before.   So no disturbance to my sleep.

2 The anaesthetic was very mild and I lay on my side watching the whole episode on a large 32 " screen.   No discomfort.       I had taken a taxi there and back, as the advice was that I would be unfit to drive following the anaesthetic.   I'm not convinced that this was the case.

7 hours ago, Michael said:

.... gave me a packet of photos of my ass and hole (I think he thought I wanted this for Grindr or something).

Total cost: 35,000 baht.

you must mumble something in your sleep so they extended helping hand with those photos.

for that money I'd rather have 10 LT session than one of colonoscopy but granted we all have different ways of spending out free time

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

you must mumble something in your sleep so they extended helping hand with those photos.

for that money I'd rather have 10 LT session than one of colonoscopy but granted we all have different ways of spending out free time

Reminds me of my first colonoscopy, the doctor opened up my butt, I said, "am I going to get paid for this?"  He didn't find it amusing at all. :)

3 hours ago, z909 said:

I lay on my side watching the whole episode on a large 32 " screen.   No discomfort. 

I can't even see the needle go in my body or I pass out. Yep, wimp here. I can't imagine watching this on TV. I would not have needed the anesthesia.

thanks @Michael for this rather unusual review. What surprised me the most was the price: pretty exactly double the price I paid last year in Germany. That's surprising isn't it?

Mine was done at a private doctors practice rather than a hospital, which might explain it a bit, but still...

For comparison: I did mine in the afternoon, which was actually rather easy to do. Started the cleansing process at home at about 7 am, appointment at 4pm. Very easy (as far as drinking all that cleansing agent in the morning can be) and for me as an extreme non-morning-person much preferable than to get up in the middle of the night for an early morning appointment. So depending on personal preference either can be done.

Initially I had said i didn't want the sedation but watch things on the monitor. But the Doc said it can be rather uncomfortable. Think extreme gas in your bowels causing what he said is pain from stretching the colon walls. Oh well so I went for the sleep version, which was actually kinda pleasant. The lights went out in a split second, rather than slowly getting drowsy and passing out. But waking up was the pleasant part, kind of a woolly feeling. 

On 7/26/2020 at 1:10 AM, billyhouston said:

Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai, want Bht 17,000 for a colonoscopy under moderate sedation. The Sripat Centre (Private Wing of CMU Medical School at Suan Dok)  want a little less, but I don't have the exact figure to hand. Much cheaper than having it done privately in the UK.

As it happens, I also had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy at Bumrungrad apparently just a few days after Michael.  I concur fully with his evaluation of the hospital. Excellent in all regards.  I also live in Chiang Mai and am familiar with the two facilities you've mentioned.  For me, it is an easy call to decide in favor of having most of my medical appointments in Bangkok at Bumrungrad. Quite satisfied and pleased with them.

Having had several colonoscopies over the years, the worst thing is the preparation to cleanse the colon. The actual procedure is quick and painless and over in a short time. The anesthesia has always been Propofol , which is highly effective. 

Hopefully Michael's post will encourage others to have a colonoscopy; it can save your life.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, kokopelli said:

Having had several colonoscopies over the years, the worst thing is the preparation to cleanse the colon. The actual procedure is quick and painless and over in a short time. The anesthesia has always been Propofol , which is highly effective. 

Hopefully Michael's post will encourage others to have a colonoscopy; it can save your life.

I didn't even think to ask what it was they used. If that is what it was, I can see how people get addicted as I was out quick and felt great.

You are right, the procedure was easy. The cleanse was time consuming but the rest easy.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, kokopelli said:

Agreed, preparation is the only really bad part. Takes time and is not pleasant, but at least can be done at home. 

Now that you mentioned it, yes Propofol it was. Like I said in my previous post, it worked ultra fast, like switched off rather than doze off. And pleasant feelings upon waking up. That's what gave the whole experience the label "pleasant", thus encouraging us to recommend it to others, just as my doctor has said it would and should, so as to potentially save other's life, as you point out. 

The problem with Propofol is that your body gets used to it and builds up an immunity

2.5 years ago I had to get 5 ERCPs (a procedure that combines GI endoscopy and x-rays) in a short period of time to remove an errant gallstone that was blocking my bile duct. I woke up half way through the second last procedure and it was a very unpleasant experience!

1 hour ago, colmx said:

The problem with Propofol is that your body gets used to it and builds up an immunity

2.5 years ago I had to get 5 ERCPs (a procedure that combines GI endoscopy and x-rays) in a short period of time to remove an errant gallstone that was blocking my bile duct. I woke up half way through the second last procedure and it was a very unpleasant experience!

inducted by using Immunity to propofol does not exists... with 99% probability your doctor made mistake in calculation how much of propofol to inject (he took your wight in kilos instead of pounds or opposite - in pounds instead of kilos (depends on table they are using for calculation - metric of imperial))... he got 2 times less q-ty to inject in calculation and you woke up in the middle of the procedure....

2 hours ago, Moses said:

inducted by using Immunity to propofol does not exists... with 99% probability your doctor made mistake in calculation how much of propofol to inject (he took your wight in kilos instead of pounds or opposite - in pounds instead of kilos

The word I was looking for is tolerance, not immunity, and according to my gastroenterologist you can build up a tolerance to Propofol when used over a number of consecutive days.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

look at bright side, at least you woke up, what if they overdid it ?

Maybe I am still under and this whole Covid-19 thing is just a figment of my imagination! 

The average price of a colonoscopy in the USA is about 3000 dollars and that equates to the Bumrungrad estimate which is the best but the highest priced hospital in Bangkok. The price for this procedure is 18,000 THB at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. 

Surely $3000 equates to over 90,000 baht.

I was at Bumrungrad Hospital this morning. There is now a colonoscopy/gastroscopy package for 34,000 baht covering both procedures. They also have a 40% discount on room charges and 15% discount on medicines. The hospital is usually packed with Middle Eastern patients but with none in sight it is clearly suffering financially..

A friend got a quote of 28,000 THB about two years ago from Bumrungrad which was still the highest price in Thailand. Hospitals here give you quotations on the high end and then run your cc to put a "hold" on it. The patient is usually happy when it's time to settle up. 

On 7/25/2020 at 5:55 AM, z909 said:

It's interesting to compare how this is done.   My doctor recommended one a few years ago, as I had a few digestive issues that were not clearing up after returning from Thailand.  I had it done privately in the UK, as my former employer's medical insurance covered that.

1 For cleansing, they recommended something or other which was taken the day before.   So no disturbance to my sleep.

2 The anaesthetic was very mild and I lay on my side watching the whole episode on a large 32 " screen.   No discomfort.       I had taken a taxi there and back, as the advice was that I would be unfit to drive following the anaesthetic.   I'm not convinced that this was the case.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:42 AM, TotallyOz said:

I had an appointment early this week for a Colonoscopy. I have not had any issues but being over 50, I wanted to get one to check for any issue.

I wanted the insurance to pay for it so I got a pre-approval for 79,500 baht which is what the doctor said would be max.

I spent one night preparing. I had to take Dulcolax at 7PM the night before and then AirX at 3AM. I also had drink PEG solution from 2-4AM. All of this was the night before and cleared out my system. It was a bit uncomfortable as I went to the toilet 20 times. But, I preferred to do this at home. The other option was to do the procedure in the afternoon and spend 4 or so hours in hospital preparing. I chose to do the night before.

I got to the hospital at 7:30, checked in, left my wallet and cell phone with receptionist, and went back to the area to dress and prepare. They inserted a needle in my hand for the anesthesia. I opted to do the surgery with anesthesia (though they didn't say there was another option as I told them in advance this is what I needed).

The doctor checked on me, they took me to the room, had me lay on the table on my side, hooked up all the vitals signs equipment and pulled the back of my pants down. The doctor talked to me for a minute and said not to worry, and I fell asleep. I woke up in recovery room. After 20 minutes, they brought me Au Bon Pain and coffee, juice and water. When I felt OK (around 30 min) I got dressed and waited for doctor. He met with me within 5 minutes and gave me a packet of photos of my ass and hole (I think he thought I wanted this for Grindr or something). I then checked at cashier and signed some paperwork.  I was on the road before 11:30.

So, in total, 4 hours in hospital. No pain. Two good doctors. Multiple nurses. I felt well taken care of and comfortable the entire time. I had no issues at all and was happy to get this test out of the way.

Total cost: 35,000 baht. That is well under what the insurance had approved.

I would give this place a 5 out of 5 star rating. The experience and professionalism were excellent and the level of English of EVERYONE I encountered was excellent.  

I find both of your comments interesting - it sounds like you were able to just leave after your procedure. Over here in the USA they won't release you post procedure unless somebody picks you up from the hospital and signs a piece of paper agreeing to see you home and see to your after care. It is such a hassle.  They won't even do an elective procedure unless you provide the name of your "babysitter" before surgery. Due to COVID I did not want to ask a friend or endanger a relative to exposure at a hospital so I had to hire a nursing service.