floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

This may be a duplicate post. As I mentioned some days ago, I have a confirmed booking with Finnair on October 6th to BKK. I receive emails from Finnair talking about increasing their flights, but no hint of the fact that you cannot enter Thailand. Somewhat less than straightforward!

Competing views of the same topic that appeared in competing news outlets today.

From  Bangkok Post

Long-stay visits possible this winter

Authorities are finalising a plan that would make it possible for retired, sun-seeking foreigners to spend the coming winter months in Thailand in an effort to save the ailing tourism industry, says a prominent hospital executive.

Although the country’s borders have been closed to most foreigners since late March to fight the pandemic, the government is proposing to grant visas to foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for up to nine months, said Boon Vanasin, chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group Plc, the country’s third largest private hospital firm, which runs hospitals and retirement homes.

These long-term visitors would begin their stay with a mandatory 14-day quarantine and frequent virus tests in of Phuket. After three weeks on the island and negative test results, they would be free to travel to other Thai regions, according to Dr Boon, who said he has direct knowledge of the government’s plan and expects the arrivals to begin before winter.

=========================================================================

From The Nation

Thailand not opening to foreign tourists any time soon

Thailand will not be fully reopened to foreign tourists along the lines of the so-called “Phuket Model” any time soon because the government has to consider too many details, deputy government spokesperson Traisulee Traisoranakul said on Friday (August 28).

She added that the government needs to consider many factors, including guidelines, screening processes and measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19 to ensure there is no second wave of infections.

24 minutes ago, reader said:

From  Bloomberg News

Long-stay visits possible this winter

Healthcare magnate Boon Vanasin says stays of up to nine months could be allowed

Authorities are finalising a plan that would make it possible for retired, sun-seeking foreigners to spend the coming winter months in Thailand in an effort to save the ailing tourism industry, says a prominent hospital executive.

Although the country’s borders have been closed to most foreigners since late March to fight the pandemic, the government is proposing to grant visas to foreigners who want to stay in Thailand for up to nine months, said Boon Vanasin, chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group Plc, the country’s third largest private hospital firm, which runs hospitals and retirement homes.

These long-term visitors would begin their stay with a mandatory 14-day quarantine and frequent virus tests in of Phuket. After three weeks on the island and negative test results, they would be free to travel to other Thai regions, according to Dr Boon, who said he has direct knowledge of the government’s plan and expects the arrivals to begin before winter.

little, close to none,  consolation to short stayers like me  but I'm looking at bright side  - 2023 is not that far away

File under TIT.

From Thai Examiner

Phuket breakthrough on foreign tourism walked back on Friday by government spokeswoman

This is despite what appeared to be support for the proposal from Prime Minister Prayut Chan ocha when asked about it by reporters in Rayong during a visit there by the Thai cabinet. However, it has emerged this week that there is opposition to the move from top medical experts. We also know that the PM advised the Minister of Tourism to focus his efforts for now on domestic tourism which is, in fact, floundering.

A breakthrough scheme to galvanise the recovery of Thailand’s critical foreign tourism industry, once the jewel in the country’s economic crown, has hit conflict and confusion at the end of the week with a government spokeswoman pouring cold water on its immediate launch underlining that it has not yet been fully approved and is being looked at critically.

A week after what appeared to be a breakthrough when a new package for foreign tourism was announced by the Chairman of the Tourism Authority, Yuthasak Supasorn, last Friday, comes news that the proposed reopening of Phuket to foreign tourists from October 1st, which was reportedly agreed in principle last Friday and which was defended vehemently by the Prime Minister, during the week, may still be only on the drawing board.

Doubts were raised about the proposal on Friday when Deputy Government Spokeswoman Traisulee Traisoranakul asserted that the reentry of foreign tourists to Thailand as outlined for Phuket would not be happening in the short term and that the government was only still in the process of examining the proposal closely.

It is not clear what is driving the new reticence about the proposal that appeared to be gaining in momentum during the week.

It could be linked to reported opposition from medical experts to the scheme who warn of a possible second wave of the virus if doors are further opened to foreigners.

In Rayong, the prime minister appeared to vociferously support the proposal when he claimed that local people in Phuket will suffer if no effort is made to reopen the island to foreign tourism.

‘If nothing is done, things will get worse. Premises will be shut down. Employees will be laid off. How can the government afford to help them all?’ he said.

His position was echoed by the Deputy Chief of the Thai Army and a key member of the Centre for Covid 19 Situation Administration, General Nattapol Nakpanich. 

General Nattapol warned that severe hardship is being felt in former Thai tourist hotspots because of the current ban on foreign tourists.

why I'm not surprised ?

But we can't blame Thai authorities as at this stage  there's still a lot of unknown about the virus  so they are trying to err in side of caution. How this strategy will turn out only time will tell.

One can only hope that it will not turn into starving people in order to prevent them from obesity

I just got back from Brasil....with all the airlines requiring masks and the extra sanitizing , Brasil required Covid insurance to cover you for the number of days you stayed.

Even though they are one of the high case count countries, I saw no traffic, all restaurants and uber taking the required precautions....even the gay "sauna" all workers had masks and face protectors and masks were required of customers when they didn't have a drink. Still meeting the guys required no mask and the risk, but no more risk then me eating at a restaurant where I live, imo.

If Thailand doesn't open, I'll be back in Brasil.....might be back there sooner than I think, the exchange rate makes it stupid cheap to have fun there.  

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

why I'm not surprised ?

But we can't blame Thai authorities as at this stage  there's still a lot of unknown about the virus  so they are trying to err in side of caution. How this strategy will turn out only time will tell.

One can only hope that it will not turn into starving people in order to prevent them from obesity

Maybe thai officials should refer to their medical expert first before making a statement? Just me trying to make sense of this lol

The PM appears to be the strongest advocate in his administration for opening the nation to foreigners. But other long-simmering political issues have come into play and  subordinate ministers now seem less inhibited in challenging his decisions. In a statement made Wednesday, he acknowledged just how fragile the situation is becoming.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said political polarization due to the growing protests could destroy the nation. “If each side insists on defeating the other politically, our country will collapse,” he told reporters. “If that happens, just wait and see, everyone will live on a fiery land, consumed by flames. If that happens I am at a loss for what to do.”

Covid has been a catalyst that helped bring the dilemma to a head, but it's far from the root cause. Inequality in wealth, education and opportunity have always been there, as they have been in nations across the globe. Thailand alone isn't unique in this regard. A small minority seeks to hold on to power while the majority is no longer content to remain silent.

Eventually Covid will be cease to be a public health menace and tourism will be restored everywhere. But what of the gap between the haves and have-nots.

From TTRW Travel (via Richardbarrow,com)

Emirates claims Bangkok flights are back

BANGKOK, 31 August 2020: Emirates says it has all the permissions in place to operate flights to and from Thailand as of 1 September despite a contradictory post by the Royal Thai Consulate in Dubai.

The Thai consulate in Dubai posted an announcement on its website at the weekend that cast doubt on the 1 September resumption of flights from Dubai to Bangkok.

While not identifying the airline explicitly the statement quoted the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand saying no commercials flights were allowed to enter Thailand until further notice. Popular travel blogger Richard Barrow first posted the consulate’s statement on his Twitter account.

Within hours the announcement was withdrawn from the consulate’s website without an explanation.

However, in response to questions from TTR Weekly, Emirates head of communications said on Sunday: “We can confirm that Emirates has all the required government permissions to operate the flights that we have announced.

“Passengers flying to and from Thailand have to meet the requirements of their destination – details on www.emirates.com/travelrestrictions.”

The airline announced Friday it would resume daily flights to Bangkok from Dubai. Booking for the flights opened 27 August with the flight timetable the latest of the airline’s updates.

Efforts to gain a response from the consulate in Dubai failed, but the consulate statement did refer to an Etihad repatriation flight EV406 that would depart Dubai for Bangkok 9 September. Organised by the embassy and consulate in the UAE, the flight is open for Thai national and foreigners eligible to enter Thailand bookable only via the embassy and consulate.

Emirates’ flights between Dubai and Bangkok will be operated with a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft offering seats in first, business and economy class.

Starting from 1 September, flight EK384 will depart Dubai daily at 0150 and arrive in Bangkok at 1130, while the return flight, EK385, will depart Bangkok at 0325, and arrive in Dubai at 0635, from 2 September.

2 minutes ago, muscfair said:

Does Brazil need a 14 day quarantine and a Covid test on arrival? How much insurance do you have to pay?

At the moment, only Covid 19 coverage for the number of days you are there, up to 90. A very low limit of like 3k usd....I got 100,000 02 200,000 I forget and it was about 40-50usd

From Bangkok Post

Bank of Thailand warns of tourism meltdown

Thailand's tourism industry will face greater risks next year if the government continues to restrict foreign travellers from entering the country, says the Bank of Thailand.

Foreign arrivals could be downgraded from a projection of 8 million this year and 16 million next year given the deflated tourism outlook, said Don Nakornthab, senior director of the economic and policy department.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry and the National Economic and Social Development Council already cut their projections for this year's foreign tourist arrivals to 6.7 million and next year's to 12 million.

20 hours ago, reader said:

Emirates claims Bangkok flights are back

Why should they not. Like I have posted somewhere here a couple of times, Lufthansa has been operating regular (2 or 3 weekly) flights FRA-BKK since June. They can be found on flightradar24.com (search for flight LH772 and LH773 for the return), so they are not LH website mirages. And I say again, too, that who exactly is on those planes on either leg is a bit of a mystery to me. 

Seems to me that "ban" on flights doesn't really exist as such, more like a ban on (most) passengers arriving on such flights as per covid-restrictions.

5 minutes ago, colmx said:

My understanding is that its mostly cargo, perishables that normally travel by air are still going that way, keeps the airframes in the air and the pilots certified

And repatriation perhaps? 
This month UK universities are telling their foreign students to return for the start of classes. 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:42 PM, floridarob said:

I just got back from Brasil....with all the airlines requiring masks and the extra sanitizing , Brasil required Covid insurance to cover you for the number of days you stayed.

Even though they are one of the high case count countries, I saw no traffic, all restaurants and uber taking the required precautions....even the gay "sauna" all workers had masks and face protectors and masks were required of customers when they didn't have a drink. Still meeting the guys required no mask and the risk, but no more risk then me eating at a restaurant where I live, imo.

If Thailand doesn't open, I'll be back in Brasil.....might be back there sooner than I think, the exchange rate makes it stupid cheap to have fun there.  

I imagine hospitals in Brasil must be hopelessly overcrowded with patients due to Covid? I am not keen to see a Brasilian hospital from the inside under the current situation. So even if I would take the risk of Covid, there is still the risk of having any other kind of health problem that requires hospital stay that would keep me from going to Brasil.

2 hours ago, 10tazione said:

I imagine hospitals in Brasil must be hopelessly overcrowded with patients due to Covid? I am not keen to see a Brasilian hospital from the inside under the current situation. So even if I would take the risk of Covid, there is still the risk of having any other kind of health problem that requires hospital stay that would keep me from going to Brasil.

If you have a travel policy that will pay , you can go to private hospitals.  I'm back a week now and I'm already looking at flights to go back.....if you've never had sex in a latin country, ESPECIALLY Brasil, you're missing out on one of the best things in life, lol

18 hours ago, hank75 said:

This month UK universities are telling their foreign students to return for the start of classes. 

Foreign students ARE arriving in the UK this month.   They have to quarantine for 2 weeks at their place of residence.    Anyone sharing that place of residence does not need to quarantine, so the quarantine process is not so rigid.

Re flights currently operating, I have a relative who works for Swiss, who has been flying to Shanghai regularly.  Said run at least daily flights sometimes more. However, they have no pax, and only pick up cargo in Shanghai.  Seats in economy removed for extra cargo space. Crew used to sleep in first class seats in Shanghai, now use airport hotel, confined to room. Amusingly cargo often face masks, which are then sent round the world from Zurich!

7 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Yes, but do they have capacity or are they full? I can't find any data by quickly googling, but I would expect them to be full. Does anyone know?

Private hospital rarely gets full, simply because not many people there can afford it. And if it is full, im sure media will be all over it. If u didnt find any, most likely its not full. 

On 9/3/2020 at 12:51 PM, 10tazione said:

Yes, but do they have capacity or are they full? I can't find any data by quickly googling, but I would expect them to be full. Does anyone know?

Private hospitals are closer to empty than full. I was at the Bumrumgrad pharmacy about 2 weeks ago. Hardly any patients waiting for medicine. That particular hospital depends for much of its income on middle east travellers. Not one to be seen. Not surprisingly, Bumrungrad has reduced its private room charges by 40% and other services by smaller amounts. BNH also seems to have less foreign patients. A Thai friend was recently at the huge Ramathibodi public hospital. he said it was like a station at rush  hour!

Leading Walking Street business owners warn of “total collapse” of tourism industry in Pattaya if Thailand has no foreign tourists for another 3-6 months

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/09/05/leading-walking-street-business-owners-warn-of-total-collapse-of-tourism-industry-in-pattaya-if-thailand-has-no-foreign-tourists-for-another-3-6-months/

I ran this topic by my bf and the Thai lady that runs a travel agency in our condo (Pattaya). The resiliency of the Thai people and the patience always amazes, just ride out the storm seems like the appropriate metaphor, no matter how long it takes. 

6 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Private hospitals are closer to empty than full. I was at the Bumrumgrad pharmacy about 2 weeks ago. Hardly any patients waiting for medicine. 

The conversation on hospital capacity was in response to a question about Brazil, where covid infections may be increasing demand.