reader

Philippines virus cases top 100,000

From Manila Times

Coronavirus infections in the Philippines surged past 100,000 on Sunday in a troubling milestone after medical groups declared that the country was waging “a losing battle” against the virus and asked President Rodrigo Duterte to reimpose a lockdown in Metro Manila.

The Department of Health (DoH) reported a record-high daily tally of 5,032, bringing the total confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) case s in the country to 103,185, including more than 2,000 deaths. The Philippines has the second most cases in Southeast Asia after Indonesia and has had more infections than China, where the pandemic began late last year.

Duterte eased a tough virus lockdown in Metro Manila — a city of more than 12 million people — on June 1 after the economy shrank slightly in the first quarter, its first contraction in more than two decades. After shopping malls and workplaces were partially reopened and limited public transport was allowed, infections spiked sharply with increased virus testing.

More than 50,000 infections were reported in less than four weeks, and leading hospitals began warning that their coronavirus wards were fast being overwhelmed to capacity again as they were when cases soared alarmingly in April.

After the President further relaxed quarantine restrictions and allowed more businesses — including gyms, internet cafes and tattoo shops — to reopen, leaders of nearly 100 medical organizations held an online news conference on Saturday and warned that the health system might collapse as many medical personnel could fall ill or resign out of fear, fatigue or poor working conditions.

“Our healthcare workers are burnt out with the seemingly endless number of patients trooping to our hospitals,” the member-groups of the Philippine College of Physicians (PCP) on Saturday appealed to Malacañang in a letter to President Duterte, which they read at a news conference.

They pleaded for the President to reimpose a lockdown in Manila from August 1 to 15 to give health workers “a time out” and allow the government to recalibrate its response to the months-long pandemic.

“We are waging a losing battle against Covid-19 and we need to draw up a consolidated, definitive plan of action,” said the groups, which represent more than a million nurses, doctors and other medical personnel.

The Philippines is a lot poorer than Thailand and I very much doubt they have enough money stashed away to survive lockdowns.  People are also very densely packed in.    

The good news is that the average age is low at about 25 years old.   

Considering the poverty and low age,  I would think when considering the policy balance, The Philippines might consider keeping the economy open as much as possible, whilst protecting just the people at high risk.  

From Reuters

Philippines to reimpose stricter coronavirus lockdown in capital as cases spike

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines will reimpose a stricter coronavirus lockdown in and around the capital for two weeks from Tuesday, authorities said on Sunday, as the country struggles to contain infections that have jumped to more than 100,000 cases.

President Rodrigo Duterte has approved placing Metro Manila and nearby provinces such as Laguna, Cavite, Rizal and Bulacan under so-called “Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine” (MECQ) until Aug. 18, his spokesman Harry Roque told reporters.

Some businesses and public transport are expected to be closed in the capital, which is currently under the less restrictive General Community Quarantine classification.

Work and quarantine passes will also be required, as authorities seek to restrict movements.

Duterte’s move came after 80 local groups representing 80,000 doctors and a million nurses called for tighter controls, saying the country was losing the fight against the coronavirus.

“I have heard you. Don’t lose hope. We are aware that you are tired,” Duterte said late on Sunday, addressing the medical frontliners during a televised speech after meeting cabinet members and his coronavirus task force.

At least President Duterte is responding to the new spike in infections.  Not like our Pres Trump who still has he head in the sand, or someplace else.

When I returned from the Philippines to the US in early March I thought the Virus would not be a significant problem in the US or the PH. And I could plan a trip in October. Little did I know!! And at this point I have stopped guessing. I am 79yo and have a lung problem so my main focus now is not getting sick!!!

Life goes on!!!

Yes, I am now hoping travel to the Philippines will be possible about September.

The Govt is distributing two Vaccines, Sinovac and AstraZeneca. They are being given first to medical workers. My friends there tell me there has been no announcement as to when they might get vaccinated. And they say the number of infections in both Manila and Cebu City are still high. But my other friend in Dumaguete says things are not bad. His two older "Daddies" just opened a Mini-Mart and it is doing well. The staff all wear masks but Customers do not.

Very sad!!

On 3/16/2021 at 7:40 AM, demonito25 said:

fall would be better time to go. the weather is much better and the chances of typhoons would be lower.

I use weatherspark.com for checking climate data for holiday planning.   Obviously the climate can vary considerably within countries, so check where you actually plan to visit.

e.g. Manilla

https://weatherspark.com/y/134588/Average-Weather-in-Manila-Philippines-Year-Round

Cebu

https://weatherspark.com/y/139471/Average-Weather-in-Cebu-City-Philippines-Year-Round

As an example of variation within a country, this also shows how reliably dry Pattaya is in peak season, with a daily probability of rain dropping to just 2% on 22 Dec, compared with over 20% in Phuket at the same time.

https://weatherspark.com/y/113385/Average-Weather-in-Phatthaya-Thailand-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/112768/Average-Weather-in-Patong-Thailand-Year-Round